Investment Opportunity In Reedham

NorfolkNog

I don't think this has been posted before but apologies if I've missed it! 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-88977766.html

Shame to see Sandersons go.

Houses in that location would be worth serious telephone numbers. And there are plenty of folks around with wads of cash happy to pay. Sadly not me! The lottery didn't come up again. Seems to be a few opportunities on the Broads at the moment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I don't think this has been posted before but apologies if I've missed it! 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-88977766.html

Shame to see Sandersons go.

Houses in that location would be worth serious telephone numbers. And there are plenty of folks around with wads of cash happy to pay. Sadly not me! The lottery didn't come up again. Seems to be a few opportunities on the Broads at the moment. 

Been on the cards for a while, the fleet wasn't the best. But a shame to see another yard go. Went past about 18 months ago and the yard looked a bit of a tip to be fair, not very inviting for arriving customers. 

• Like 1

Sanderson's finishing has been rumoured for a while as I recall but I guess it's there in black and white now. I've never hired from them but I'm sad nevertheless. One of the last old fashioned boatyards, one where "yard" was the right description and I mean that in an affectionate way. Reedham quay won't be the same.

• Like 3

The BA planning dept have up to now always insisted a "boatyard" element is retained where proposals are considered to develop into housing an existing yard. Its not always a fully functioning yard  but perhaps moorings. 

I really am a bit sceptical that any houses would be worth "serious telephone numbers" - its not exactly Horning or even Brundall and the view is hardly outstanding!!! Bit like Stokesby i guess, although I have no particular axe to grind with the latter!!!!

• Like 3

I suppose it's all relative re the house prices. I looked at some of the little houses near the Ship a while back and although tiny they were quite expensive. I suppose Reedham is more 'normal for Norfolk' whereas up here in the land of the ferrets the price of one of those little cottages would buy a 4 bed detached!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I suppose it's all relative re the house prices. I looked at some of the little houses near the Ship a while back and although tiny they were quite expensive. I suppose Reedham is more 'normal for Norfolk' whereas up here in the land of the ferrets the price of one of those little cottages would buy a 4 bed detached!!

Like this one which may be sold though. On at bit more than 3 of its neighbours a year or so ago https://www.watersideestateagents.com/property/wea880/

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Like this one which may be sold though. On at bit more than 3 of its neighbours a year or so ago https://www.watersideestateagents.com/property/wea880/

Good grief!! I kid you not, you could buy a palace on my manor for that. And have enough left for pattie and chips to celebrate. 

So, if those are going for 300k what would the Sandersons ones fetch I wonder? 

The variation is amazing. York for example is very expensive. Yet other parts of Yorkshire are well down the scale. Perhaps connectivity to London has a bearing? Maybe Cambridge is in commuter range? Norfolk seems to fall in the middle somewhere - certainly more expensive than most parts of the North but still less than the South East. We've chatted to people while we've been on holiday who have moved to Norfolk from London or the South East. They actually said it was cheaper but without exception felt it was a great move. 

• Like 1

Yea Cambridge is a 40 minute commute from Kings Cross so very much commuter , also it’s the main hub for IT and Pharma jobs in the U.K. , our old house in the center of the city was literally five mins walk from the market square , when I bought it my mother couldn’t believe I would buy a house town end of Mill road as that was where the University bedding staff used to live in the 50’s ; it was mid terrace , right on a busy road opposite a take away and on three floors .

I sold it in 1993 and we now live 5 miles south of the city in a small village .

My old house came on the market in 2018 and sold in 48 hours for .............£895,000!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 14/02/2021 at 20:50, andyg said:

. . . . . . . . . .Went past about 18 months ago and the yard looked a bit of a tip to be fair, not very inviting for arriving customers. 

It didn’t just look a bit of a tip, it was.  The last time we hired in 2018, the bulb blew in one of the toilets.  We’d crossed Breydon in the morning and stopped at Reedham for water.  I thought that Sandersons might have a bulb, so wandered up to the yard, spoke to someone who rummaged through several boxes in what appeared to be total chaos in the shed and came away empty handed.  It made Steptoe’s yard look quite tidy, to be fair.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, floydraser said:

it would be nice to see the old shed preserved as part of the landscape, including the old sign on top.

A BA interpretation/information centre? I kid you not but such a facility would have value, socially and educationally and Reedham does have history and is relatively central for school visits etc. 

Oh dear - you build information centres in areas of high footfall and I promise you that Reedham has none of that! There is nothing in Reedham to attract visitors other than a mooring and I think a info. centre would be empty all of the day!! Who goes to Reedham just to visit it - its no reflection on Reedham itself but its has nothing to attract, or even keep visitors.

I accept it has two pubs and a little brewery but are the sort of places you would go out of your way to get to - why keep it as a car park when there is plenty of on road parking and I am sure, however nice a place it is, it is just not the sort of place you would just go to to visit - its hardly Ranworth!!!! It used to have a very nice tearooms but even that had to close, or so I believe, because of lack of custom. ( My apologies if its still open! ) But sadly, even though I live less than 10 miles away I cannot remember the last time I went to the place.

And as for listing the shed - one day in a decent breeze it will probably blow down!

I have a feeling the site might include the old Halls yard well known for building wherries - or it might not but if it isn't, expect that to be developed too as I believe it to be owned by a well known Broadland individual.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

Oh dear - you build information centres in areas of high footfall and I promise you that Reedham has none of that! There is nothing in Reedham to attract visitors other than a mooring and I think a info. centre would be empty all of the day!! Who goes to Reedham just to visit it - its no reflection on Reedham itself but its has nothing to attract, or even keep visitors.

I accept it has two pubs and a little brewery but are the sort of places you would go out of your way to get to - why keep it as a car park when there is plenty of on road parking and I am sure, however nice a place it is, it is just not the sort of place you would just go to to visit - its hardly Ranworth!!!! It used to have a very nice tearooms but even that had to close, or so I believe, because of lack of custom. ( My apologies if its still open! ) But sadly, even though I live less than 10 miles away I cannot remember the last time I went to the place.

And as for listing the shed - one day in a decent breeze it will probably blow down!

I have a feeling the site might include the old Halls yard well known for building wherries - or it might not but if it isn't, expect that to be developed too as I believe it to be owned by a well known Broadland individual.

So what was the attraction of the place when the tea room was open? I'm sure the owner wouldn't have opened it if there hadn't been visitors already.

As a tourist I can tell you we would be looking for somewhere to get close to the river, park up and have a look around. After that, it's down to what you can do to keep us there:  public loos, tea room, pubs, boats, a swinging bridge, other people and general ambience. We don't need a millenium wheel or a fun fair.

We had drive over there and found it a pleasant place to visit.

• Like 4