Would You Come On A Boating Holiday If The Pubs Are Closed?

JennyMorgan

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Before people go making plans there is the little matter of conditions being met at every stage.

We will be making plans for our week on Moonlight Shadow...

If it is cancelled again, so be it

But we will definitely be making plans, as for us it's part of the fun, getting ready for another trip

Lifejackets - check

Dog food - check

Alcohol - check

Β 

πŸ˜‰πŸ»

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Interesting that the Stay At Home rule ends on the 29th March, though people should "try" to stay local. Sounds as though those with their own boats, will be able to stay on them from that date,Β before the self contained holiday lets open up. (Doesn't apply to me). Sure the BA will clarify.Β 

It’s the same as last year. Β Travel restrictions were eased in May, but there were no overstays permitted until 4th July. Β It did mean that we were permitted to travel to our boats to get them cleaned up and even go for a chug up the river, as long as we weren’t out overnight. Β 
As long as the BA wake up and open theΒ rivers, I’m sure that we will take advantage of that. Β It’s been a long time since mid December and Norfolk Lady will be requiring some TLC. Β I might even see our newΒ canopy that was fitted in January for the first time!!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As long as the BA wake up and open theΒ rivers,

I think you will find that the BA have not closed the rivers at all, the Government has stopped you from travelling to your boat. As and when the Government restrictions are lifted I will first off visit my boat, then use it for the day and finally stay on it overnight, no matter what interpretation the BA might want to put on any Government legislation. The Government run the country, the BA just do a rather poor job at times of managing and maintaining a small part of it.

17 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Interesting that the Stay At Home rule ends on the 29th March, though people should "try" to stay local. Sounds as though those with their own boats, will be able to stay on them from that date,Β before the self contained holiday lets open up. (Doesn't apply to me). Sure the BA will clarify.Β 

The government website clearly states no overnighting away from home until 12 April at the earliest.Β 

33 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

They are not closed, indeed the BA has been beavering away, as far as restrictions allow.Β 

The BA website advisesΒ to minimise travel, even for liveaboards. Β I guess that will need to be revised, given that recreational activities ashouldΒ be allowed by then.

So if the pubs are closed, you will have to bring one with you!

Β 

884299256_gazebo1.thumb.jpeg.69f57a2946997add595e18e73b39cbc8.jpeg

Β 

These were regular customers, from Germany, who had measured up the situation the year before so that they could get under the bridges.

But only just!

1618810399_gazebo2.thumb.jpeg.ce788341db516c2bdcfbe013348166fd.jpeg

They managed to cruise all of the Camargue as far as Agde, on the Canal du Midi, and back again without lowering the tent.

That's not a barbecue on the saloon roof - it's live keyboard music!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

The BA website advisesΒ to minimise travel, even for liveaboards.

Indeed they did, a question of travelling but the rivers were not closed as such, it was the actual travelling that was restricted. Not saying that the BA didn't revel in the situation though! Don't see the boating public accepting any BA monkey business this time around.

• Like 1

It wouldn't make much difference to us, let's be blunt, the days when you could drift from one excellent riverside boozer to the next are long gone. Few of them are as good as they once were, most are distinctly average, and in some cases that is being very polite.Β 

The Ferry at Surlingham and Bridge at Acle are the only two we would make a point of visiting any more. There are one or two others we will visit if we are in the vicinity but wouldn't make a special trip.Β 

Totally agree Paul. Our 2 favorites are The Ferry House at Surlingham and the Bridge Inn at Acle. We have always found service and food quality excellent.

We were also regulars at The New Inn Horning, but not at all impressed with what we received under the new management last year, although will give it another try when the Covid issue is over. But of course 'The Gus Factor' isn't their, which is such a shame.

We also use toΒ enjoy the Maltsters at Ranworth, but the jury is out their since the landlord left at the end of 2019. Will give it another try though.Β Β 

7 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Totally agree Paul. Our 2 favorites are The Ferry House at Surlingham and the Bridge Inn at Acle. We have always found service and food quality excellent.

We were also regulars at The New Inn Horning, but not at all impressed with what we received under the new management last year, although will give it another try when the Covid issue is over. But of course 'The Gus Factor' isn't their, which is such a shame.

We also use toΒ enjoy the Maltsters at Ranworth, but the jury is out their since the landlord left at the end of 2019. Will give it another try though.Β Β 

I agree with the Ferry House at Surlingham, I have not been to the Bridge inn for many years. I still enjoy a meal at the Waters Edge and oftenΒ go to the Yare when allowed.

I agree with The Ferry House and The Bridge Inn. Β The last time we went to The New Inn at Rockland the food was good, although the pub itself seems a little sterile. Β The Lion at Thurne is another one we like to visit when on the northern rivers. Β We’d intended to go to Upton last September, but we’re thwarted by the threat of strong winds and high tides, which meant we had to head back across Breydon earlier than planned.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2021 at 00:08, Paul said:

The Ferry at Surlingham and Bridge at Acle are the only two we would make a point of visiting any more

We love both those venues, but we have also had good times at the Lion at Thurne, White Horse at Neastished, Sutton Staithe, Recruiting Sergeant at Coltishall, Rising Sun at Coltishall, Swan Inn at Horning, Kings Arms at Ludham, Fur and Feather's, White Horse at Chedgrave, Kings Head at Loddon and Yare at Brundall.

They are all very different, some quirky, some rustic, some lacking in many areas, but mainly we go for dog and people friendly establishments where you can chat with staff and customers go alone or in a group and we have found these to be welcoming to 2 and 4 legged friends alikeΒ 

πŸΊπŸΊπŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ₯ƒπŸ·

• Like 1

Good point Tempest, though your post reminds me of pubs we used to love and which no longer get over excited about. We used to make a point of having lunch at the Fur and Feather, on a sunny day their garden was the best place on earth almost, but the food prices suddenly shot up and even by broads standards became unrealistic, and it's not somewhere we would walk to just for a pint. As a result we haven't been for many a long year. I must look at their menu again and see how it compares now.Β 

The Recruiting Sergeant, along with the Crooked Barn at Oulton Broad was our number one place to eat before we had the children, and still would be if it were just us. So the fact that we no longer visit them is because of our changes, not theirs and that point should be made out of fairness to them.Β 

Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Good point Tempest, though your post reminds me of pubs we used to love and which no longer get over excited about. We used to make a point of having lunch at the Fur and Feather, on a sunny day their garden was the best place on earth almost, but the food prices suddenly shot up and even by broads standards became unrealistic, and it's not somewhere we would walk to just for a pint. As a result we haven't been for many a long year. I must look at their menu again and see how it compares now.Β 

The Recruiting Sergeant, along with the Crooked Barn at Oulton Broad was our number one place to eat before we had the children, and still would be if it were just us. So the fact that we no longer visit them is because of our changes, not theirs and that point should be made out of fairness to them.Β 

Β 

Β 

Think the Chef thinks he's in London. Last time we were there,looked at the menu,which was well over the top.Went to Potter Sausage bap and a beer.Saving lots of money.Β 

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Think the Chef thinks he's in London. Last time we were there,looked at the menu,which was well over the top.Went to Potter Sausage bap and a beer.Saving lots of money.Β 

Horses for courses. We were in there last year as a couple and enjoyed it very much.

5 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

Horses for courses. We were in there last year as a couple and enjoyed it very much.

There speaks the treasurer

On our last visit we ate a burger, sticky toffee pudding and a couple of pints of Nelson's apieceΒ at nearly Β£70 for the two of us. It was OK, but not worth Β£70. We used to spend a lot of money in the brewery shop as well when we visited, which they are not getting now. They have priced themselves above the Recruiting Sergeant but the quality of food and service is well short of the RS

• Like 1