Would You Come On A Boating Holiday If The Pubs Are Closed?

JennyMorgan

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

There speaks the treasurer

On our last visit we ate a burger, sticky toffee pudding and a couple of pints of Nelson's apiece at nearly £70 for the two of us. It was OK, but not worth £70. We used to spend a lot of money in the brewery shop as well when we visited, which they are not getting now. They have priced themselves above the Recruiting Sergeant but the quality of food and service is well short of the RS

Think I'd be tempted to pay that to be in any pub at the moment! :default_drinks:

I assumed he was talking about the Fur & Feather, the Recruiting Sergeant is still our number one eatery, just not that child friendly but as the boys are getting older we will soon be back. 

We like Stoke Mill as well, but not really "Broads" unless you are up for a serious walk. We love lunch at Stoke Mill then paddling at Shottesham ford with the fishing nets. It's how life used to be.

1 hour ago, Maxwellian said:

Sorry I thought Ian was talking about the Recruiting Sargeant

I've never been in there, although a mate of mine who lives in what were previously the married quarters for RAF Coltishall says it's lovely. I think it's something to do with the name; I've never met a recruiting sergeant I can trust...certainly not the one who recruited me :default_laugh:

• Haha 4

Whatever peoples reasons for liking or disliking places to eat or drink it is good to have choices. 

Isn't it just - Also agree 100%

My first recruiting sergeant was a sergeant - RAF - He was honest, courteous and mindful that was addressing a naïve 15 year old.

Twenty minutes later my second recruiting sergeant wasn't a sergeant but a Chief Petty Officer.  He knew fine well he was addressing a naïve 15 year old, used that to his advantage, lied through every tooth, let alone the back ones.

The rest as they say is history

Griff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Whatever peoples reasons for liking or disliking places to eat or drink it is good to have choices. 

My first recruiting sergeant was a sergeant - RAF - He was honest, courteous and mindful that was addressing a naïve 15 year old.

Twenty minutes later my second recruiting sergeant wasn't a sergeant but a Chief Petty Officer.  He knew fine well he was addressing a naïve 15 year old, used that to his advantage, lied through every tooth, let alone the back ones.

Griff

After 18 years I'm still finding stuff I was told was untrue :8_laughing:

I was once told not to apply for a recruiting job by the chap who was interviewing candidates. "No chance Clarky...you're far too bloody honest!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I think mine was a Chief Stoker who would do a good job selling swamps in Florida,not long after I was doing a boiler clean in Singapore, it was only afterwards I was told you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke. 😃

Steve

I remember a time, even on lads week when it was pub every lunch and evening when we had to decide which pubs we would miss, and it was a hard choice. It was a case of which had to be done and fill in the gaps based on tides. 

I think we would be harder pressed to fill the schedule now, than have to worry about which to miss

• Like 1
  • Sad 1