Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Opinion Re Purchase Of Ex Hire Le Boat Crusdaer


Recommended Posts

Hello, I’m new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some knowledge and insight from the community. I’m based in Ireland and having cruised the Shannon for the last 4 years I’m considering taking the plunge on purchasing a cruiser. I’d really appreciate thoughts on an ex U.K. based Le Boat Crusader? I’ve read differing views on the Old Broads Boats thread. This is the boat I’m looking at

https://www.leboatbrokerage.com/annonce-bateau-le-boat-crusader-219111.html?l=en

I’d greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge and insight form the Broads community. Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you look at the boat. Check BREXIT rules. I know that boat owners bringing their own boats back from the EU will have to pay tax. There is a grace period though. I don't know about exporting a boat to the EU (Ireland). Best check before you commit any cash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Before you look at the boat. Check BREXIT rules. I know that boat owners bringing their own boats back from the EU will have to pay tax. There is a grace period though. I don't know about exporting a boat to the EU (Ireland). Best check before you commit any cash.

Surely from France to Eire would be within the EU?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks both for the heads up on Brexit. I’ve done a bit of homework and I can purchase the boat in the U.K. and pay the EU VAT locally on import. What are your thoughts on the build quality of these boats? Are they likely to have had an easier life in the U.K. as compared to the French ex hires? Again thanks for the time responding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at that a couple of days ago. Lot of boat for £47,500. Unfortunately at 3.9 metres its too wide for the Chet and Ant - doubt it could get under Ludham bridge anyway.

Over the years I've seen reports that these boats were better fitted out than the equivalent Connoisseurs. Probably Vaughan would have more idea as I think they may have had this model in the Crown Blue Line fleet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mollyg said:

Hello, I’m new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some knowledge and insight from the community. I’m based in Ireland and having cruised the Shannon for the last 4 years I’m considering taking the plunge on purchasing a cruiser. I’d really appreciate thoughts on an ex U.K. based Le Boat Crusader? I’ve read differing views on the Old Broads Boats thread. This is the boat I’m looking at

https://www.leboatbrokerage.com/annonce-bateau-le-boat-crusader-219111.html?l=en

I’d greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge and insight form the Broads community. Thanks in advance.

Others may have better knowledge than me. I think this boat is a bit too wide for the Ant or the Chet, and it probably won't get under Potter, Wroxham, Ludham, Beccles Old, or the bridges up to Norwich. It might not be the easiest of boats to have on the Broads but I could be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, socrates said:

Others may have better knowledge than me. I think this boat is a bit too wide for the Ant or the Chet, and it probably won't get under Potter, Wroxham, Ludham, Beccles Old, or the bridges up to Norwich. It might not be the easiest of boats to have on the Broads but I could be wrong. 

Which won't be a problem given it is going to Ireland :default_laugh:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The boat was built by Crown Cruisers in Somerleyton (not Le Boat) and the year 1996 would be about right.  Some of the photos in the brokerage description, including the main one, are of a Classique, not a Crusader but this is not mis-leading as the Crusader is simply a smaller version of the Classique.

These boats are very well built and the interior should be pretty much as good as the day she was built.  The only place to look for rot might be at the bottom of the shower bulkheads where they join the shower tray, which may have rotted part of the floor in the front cabin.  If you find this, it's not serious but may get you a bit off the price!  The hull is very strongly moulded by Aquafibre with very strong rubber compound rubbing strakes (made by the same firm who supply the RNLI).

Built to ERCD category C, although it may say cat D on the plaque in the wheelhouse, being only used for inland waterways.

The drive is hydraulic, by Peachments, with a 38mm s/s shaft swinging a 19X17 prop, so a very strong installation.  The Nanni 4220 may have a lot of hours on it - 11000 or more would not be a surprise - but if it needs an exchange unit it would still be well worth it at the price they are asking.

These are lovely boats, built to a very high standard and I thoroughly recommend them.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The boat was built by Crown Cruisers in Somerleyton (not Le Boat) and the year 1996 would be about right.  Some of the photos in the brokerage description, including the main one, are of a Classique, not a Crusader but this is not mis-leading as the Crusader is simply a smaller version of the Classique.

These boats are very well built and the interior should be pretty much as good as the day she was built.  The only place to look for rot might be at the bottom of the shower bulkheads where they join the shower tray, which may have rotted part of the floor in the front cabin.  If you find this, it's not serious but may get you a bit off the price!  The hull is very strongly moulded by Aquafibre with very strong rubber compound rubbing strakes (made by the same firm who supply the RNLI).

Built to ERCD category C, although it may say cat D on the plaque in the wheelhouse, being only used for inland waterways.

The drive is hydraulic, by Peachments, with a 38mm s/s shaft swinging a 19X17 prop, so a very strong installation.  The Nanni 4220 may have a lot of hours on it - 11000 or more would not be a surprise - but if it needs an exchange unit it would still be well worth at the price they are asking.

These are lovely boats, built to a very high standard and I thoroughly recommend them.

Thank you for the really helpful and detailed insight. Really appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

What's the import duty on Algae ?

Then again Eire is the Emerald isle so should blend in.

 

A few days at sea should pickle any algae. About 550 sea miles should ensure adequate sterilisation. A hundred or so hours should do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being able to go up the Ant would make it a complete no-no!!!

I just don't understand the logic of going to the trouble of bringing a boat to the Broads and only being able to access half the system. OK it may be cheap but there is a reason for that - you can only use half the system AND the bits you cannot access, are the best bits!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I hired one of these on the Caledonian Canal about 8 years ago. It was an incredibly nice boat. 

Yeah, I hired the 36ft version in Ireland about 10 years ago and have been aboard the 42ft version on the Thames too.

They're a very spacious boat and remain one of the favourite boats I've hired. I particularly remember what a good size the heads were on the 36ft boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marshman said:

Not being able to go up the Ant would make it a complete no-no!!!

I just don't understand the logic of going to the trouble of bringing a boat to the Broads and only being able to access half the system. OK it may be cheap but there is a reason for that - you can only use half the system AND the bits you cannot access, are the best bits!!

It is going to Ireland, not Norfolk. :default_biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.