Digital TV

Soundings

Was in a well known local (Broads) caravan centre looking for a digital TV aerial. Was told by an assistant that such aerials will not work come switch-over day and that I will have to use a dish (cost of kit £130 as opposed to about £50 for an aerial. Is this true?

Was in a well known local (Broads) caravan centre looking for a digital TV aerial. Was told by an assistant that such aerials will not work come switch-over day and that I will have to use a dish (cost of kit £130 as opposed to about £50 for an aerial. Is this true?

hi soundings i think it depends on where you get it from, we got a dish & freeview box for about £70 from maplins, it came as a set. lori

The same bad "professional" advice came up here 3 weeks ago, on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=10423&p=125963&hilit=aerial#p125963

This sort of thing is criminal deception. The assistant was either an idiot, or a crook. When "switch over day" for the Broads local transmitter arrives next November, any DVB-T aerial (Digital Terrestrial TV) will work better then, because the signal strength is being increased to ten times the power that is broadcast up till now.

It's quite probable that simple fixed omni-directional aerials will start to work well around the broads, requiring no alterations or movement when the boat moves. If that happens, then mobile satellite TV will become far less attractive due to needing continual setup, and not being usable on the move or when at anchor....

there is the proviso that you will need either a digital TV or a set top box to get freeview through the aerial. if you don't have a scart socket then you need a new telly.

I read Soundings initial post as the assistant saying that the "digital TV aerial" they were looking at would not work after the switchover....

We were discussing this type of thing the other night and apart from small shops run by enthusiasts or "Mom & Pop" shops who know their stuff, came to the conclusion that online shopping for a lot of stuff now gives better service. Most sites have some kind of a forum attached (or there is one somewhere in the ether) that you can get reviews and advice from many knowledgeable people with no interest in selling you something. Even chandleries which used to be a mine of knowledge in both breadth and depth are going down the same route. Some of the misinformation I’ve been subjected to in electronics depts can only be described as “arse gravy†of a risable standard.

The depressing thing about Sounding's experience, and TheReeves's in the earlier thread is that some dealers are possibly pressuring people into buying satellite systems by purposely giving false information about the digital switchover.

This could be the tip of the iceberg. Maybe it's happening on a large scale with home based TV viewers, being blinded with science by unscrupulous shops cashing in by recommending completely unnecessary gear.

Hi

we took back the satelite dish system we were sold and exchanged it for a digital aerial. We couldnt get the satelite dish to work anyway, total waste of time.

We tried the aerial last weekend and got a perfect picture. I won't be buying anything from that certain shop again.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

"**** GRAVY", ......................... I`ve never heard that expression, ................ But i certainly will use it now :lol::lol:. Nice one David :clap:clap

I've recommended these to many and ours works all over The Broads for £22!!! :clap:clap:clap

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html#DMlog

The log40 is the one we have and it's worth giving them a call as they are brilliantly helpful.

I won't mix words... the assistant's a ****** at best... what utter drivel they will tell you two gunstwo guns

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Never let the truth get in the way of a sale. And he`ll probably get commision on it too. Sometimes it`s worth being a little bit synical. The shop assistant that is.

"**** GRAVY", ......................... I`ve never heard that expression, ................ But i certainly will use it now :lol::lol:. Nice one David :clap:clap

I think it was Oscar Wilde who first coined it Neil. :naughty: