Private Boaters

marshman

I wonder what excuse the BA will now find to keep us away from our boats - last time they "let out" the private boaters well before the hire boats, as long as no overnighting!. Not convinced that they will this time, now they seem to have decided rivers are quieter with no boats at all. I suppose they won't want the nesting birds disturbed!

What has changed however is that there are now even less people I could infect as like many others, I have had my jab a month ago!

But no doubt they will find yet another excuse - incidentally the Lake District still seem to allow private motor boaters? 

Do we all agree that the BA should allow us back now or wait longer? Do I still have to creep down my boat under cover of darkness just to check it?

I await with interest their comments but I have a suspicion we are going to be kept away - go on JP, surprise me!!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, marshman said:

What has changed however is that there are now even less people I could infect as like many others, I have had my jab a month ago!

is there any hard evidence yet that having the jab stops you being able to spread the virus, if there is it hasnt reached me yrt.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, grendel said:

is there any hard evidence yet that having the jab stops you being able to spread the virus, if there is it hasnt reached me yrt.

Even BoJo himself said that the virus will be with us for the foreseeable future globally, vaccine or not and we have to get used to the fact that it will cause an increased number of deaths annually as does the winter flu.

Sadly, we have to get used to it.  We cannot continue to close the country down for months every year and as long as the vaccine helps to reduce transmission and the chance of severe illness, as far as I’m concerned that’s good enough for me.

Lets be thankful that in this country, we don’t have all of the illnesses and diseases that are the causes of so many premature deaths in war torn, former third world and developing countries around the planet.  Looking at the charity adverts that are frequently seen on various TV channels, depicting the additional challenges faced by so many people, makes me much more grateful to have been born here and for the life I’ve had.

There for the grace of God, go I.

• Like 6

Last night I was chatting to an elderly chap ( said he was 75 ) outside the chippy whilst waiting for my order. He will not have the jab, does not get the flu jab, and believes the whole thing is a government backed con, driven in part by backhanders from Europe........

He will not be alone in his views

As long as there are people of a like mind, I don't think we will be able to fully quash the disease

• Like 3

Mouldy, as usual, makes some good points.

As I see it if we are vaccinated then we are less likely to contract the virus thus we are not likely to pass it on. Provided people who insist on overseas travel do so with caution and follow guidelines then I suspect that we will grow to live with the virus.

53 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

As I see it if we are vaccinated then we are less likely to contract the virus thus we are not likely to pass it on.

I don’t think we are less likely to contract the virus, just less likely to suffer really badly from it and require hospital treatment. 

11 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The vaccine appears to reduce transmission by around 2/3 according to early data.

Very positive news. I think as long as people continue to take sensible precautions, hands, face and space etc, we could well be in a much better state by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, marshman said:

Ian - far from a booster being a possibility, I think Boris suggested it was a probability from the autumn onwards.

Talk of a booster is a little premature for those of us still waiting our first vaccination not everyone in the first 6 categories have been vaccinated certainly not down here.

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Very positive news. I think as long as people continue to take sensible precautions, hands, face and space etc, we could well be in a much better state by the end of the year. 

And could we start teaching the next generations how to use a handkerchief and/or tissues? And we should look very closely at the maintenance of air conditioning filter units in the future. Only in the last few years I have experienced working in an open plan office with a bunch of 30 year olds, snivelling away as they work, wondering why colds etc pass between them.

Let’s remember that there have been viruses before that have caused concern, if not panic.  Perhaps if there had been social media back in the late 80’s, the global concern about HIV/ Aids may have been far greater.  Back then, people with the HIV virus were treated like lepers, but with medication that has been developed since, no one bats an eyelid.  I guess in time, the same will be true of Coronavirus.  Our bodies will probably develop some sort of immunity, coupled with the continued development of vaccines and it will become an everyday, treatable illness.  Obviously, by then, nature may have chucked another curved ball into the equation and something else will have grabbed the media headlines.

What is for sure is that we have to learn to live with it.  There is only one thing in life that is certain and as I’ve said before, I’m not anxious for my appointment with the Grim Reaper, but I want to live my life and enjoy it until he arrives.  Let’s take the necessary precautions and be thankful for the scientists that have developed the vaccines that look as if they will return some sense of normality to our lives.

In the meantime, let’s hope that the opening of the schools on the 8th March doesn’t cause a major rise in infection rates, although I do suspect that a rise of some sort is inevitable and doesn’t affect the plans for starting to ease restrictions at the end of March.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I think the announcement did say they expect a bit of a rise.

I think it did.  What I don’t understand is how a class of thirty children can mix together in a classroom and go to their various homes, potentially spreading the virus, but only two people can meet outdoors for a chat.  
My view (for what it’s worth) would be to allow children who are in examination years to return first and phase the rest over a period of time to assess the impact.  But what do I know?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Mouldy, as usual, makes some good points.

As I see it if we are vaccinated then we are less likely to contract the virus thus we are not likely to pass it on. Provided people who insist on overseas travel do so with caution and follow guidelines then I suspect that we will grow to live with the virus.

in the same way that the flu vaccine doesnt stop you catching the flu, but helps your body fight it when you do catch it, this vaccine wont stop you catching covid, but will help your body fight it off, thus you can still pass it on, but if everyone gets vaccinated the death rate should take a tumble because everyone will be better placed to fight off the initial infection, because thats how vaccines work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I think it did.  What I don’t understand is how a class of thirty children can mix together in a classroom and go to their various homes, potentially spreading the virus, but only two people can meet outdoors for a chat.  
My view (for what it’s worth) would be to allow children who are in examination years to return first and phase the rest over a period of time to assess the impact.  But what do I know?

Covid or not these children are the future tax payers, scientists road workers etc. Learning to learn is a habit they can’t afford to lose. The input of education must be kept up and for these reasons I think the kids are the most important consideration 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grendel said:

in the same way that the flu vaccine doesnt stop you catching the flu, but helps your body fight it when you do catch it, this vaccine wont stop you catching covid, but will help your body fight it off, thus you can still pass it on, but if everyone gets vaccinated the death rate should take a tumble because everyone will be better placed to fight off the initial infection, because thats how vaccines work.

and yet Matt Hancock and others including Israel have said the vaccine is helping to stop the transmission of the virus as well as protect from severe disease. Matt Hancock said that a first dose could cut transmission rates by two thirds.

• Thanks 1