Turning To The Broads

Andrewcook

It's nice to know we all be returning to the Broads one again . Will the  Broads Authority be putting out Extra Rangers for the New Boating Season as to the fact of theses New less experience Boaters as to regulars Hiring and private Boaters to observe the Rules on Boating including Not to Running the Engine after 8pm that I do find it most annoying. 

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Why not ask the Broads Authority.

I guess asking a discussion forum dedicated to the Norfolk Broads which has a representative of the BA as one of its members is also a good place to ask the question. Maybe Andrew was hoping to start a discussion rather than seek a definitive answer from the BA.

• Like 3

Andrew C

Yes, they plan to have more rangers and safety education and proposed increasing our Tolls by 7% to pay for it. Following and central government grant this has been decreased to 4%, still way ahead of Consumer Price Index 0.6% and Retail Price Index 0.8%. 

I doubt this will stop any excessive drinking and larking about that causes most of the serious problems.

Best solution is to get the planes flying and ship them out to Magaluf, leaving the broads for the nice boaters and holiday makers.

• Like 8

Best solution is to get the planes flying and ship them out to Magaluf, leaving the broads for the nice boaters and holiday makers.

Another 'Best Solution' is for the Ba to stop treating private / hire boat owners as a cash cow issuing eyewatering inflation bursting increases year in year out.  Issue normal inflation linked increases and manage their finances accordingly

Griff

• Like 13

Well after last years experience of seeing and witnessing new Benidorm boaters causing havoc and not having no respect to fellow boaters old and new...   I expect the repeat of Benidorm boaters Two will be in full swing again..

It would be nice to see more BA patrols out there.. I really think the boat yards need to be harder on these new one time hirers and not just to rub there hands and think of the money...  And yes the prices have seemed to have rocketed up again.. And regular hirers  put on the back burner. 

• Sad 1

Hi Scrumpy Cheddar /  Griff  Broads Ambition I do share your comments as it's  gonna be Mayhem being on the Broads once again due Non Abroad Holidays not forth coming at this Time? . As to my own Experience  last September 2020 while moored up at Barnes Brinks Yard we had a fairly large Boat beside us and Guess what the next Morning they had the Heater on at Six AM  before shoving off as my Crew got waken up as I'm totally Deaf I wish they woke up me up as I would had a word in their Ear hole  over this matter Idiots. I hope I don't  have this displeasure once again when I go in October for Two weeks 

It may be worth having a look at the papers for the next BA Members meeting on Fri 19th March which will be issued a week before - They will include the minutes for the last meeting. Watching the meeting on line live will also yield the latest information  https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/about-us/committees/broads-authority/broads-authority-19-march-2021

All of the papers & minutes for past meetings are also available

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Well after last years experience of seeing and witnessing new Benidorm boaters causing havoc and not having no respect to fellow boaters old and new...   I expect the repeat of Benidorm boaters Two will be in full swing again..

It would be nice to see more BA patrols out there.. I really think the boat yards need to be harder on these new one time hirers and not just to rub there hands and think of the money...  And yes the prices have seemed to have rocketed up again.. And regular hirers  put on the back burner. 

At some point in time many of us were first time hire boaters, and a lot of us who are owners began as hirers and own former hire boats. We also experienced the so called "Benidorm boaters" last August, and agree that there were issues. However, drawing a distinction between owners, first time hire boaters, and regular hire boaters is somewhat simplistic. The issues are far more complex and, to a large extent, centre around attitudes and good old fashioned manners. Boat yards have a degree of responsibility to educate and inform those hiring boats, experienced boaters (both those who hire and owners) also have a part to play. People deserve the opportunity of a break on the Broads, but the enjoyment of a few should not have a negative impact on the enjoyment of the many. Education, engagement, and (as a last resort), enforcement by the BA should be firmly in place before the start of this season. When you say yards should be "harder", I am wondering how this could work out in reality. A larger non-refundable deposit might help, as would a clear message that any reported incidents may result in the boat being taken away from them and their holiday terminated. In fairness to one yard, the latter was actually implemented following an incident we witnessed.

We can only hope that the worst doesn't happen this season and the powers that be are aware of concerns expressed on various forums. There is also a moral obligation for all of us to conduct ourselves in a manner which sets an example to others.  

• Like 6

Socrates mentions a larger non-refundable deposit. I do not see how this helps. A large refundable deposit might well make a difference. I remember the owner of the first yard we hired from complaining when deposits were changed to non-refundable as it removed the incentive to look after the boat. 

• Like 2

Socrates please Can I just amend part of my comment if I may..  

What I should of said was...🤭

When I was referring to The New one time only hirers..

I should of referred them as the Benidorm boaters. The ones who will never ever come back.

I’ve not got a problem with first time boaters as you correctly said we was all new boaters once upon a time.. I do apologise if I’ve offended anyone by that.. 🙏 

Hopefully fingers crossed that BBs can Easyjet off this year and we all can have a bit of normality back.. 

Sorry if I’ve confused matters 🤪🙃🙃

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Scrumpy Cheddar /  Griff  Broads Ambition I do share your comments as it's  gonna be Mayhem being on the Broads once again due Non Abroad Holidays not forth coming at this Time? . As to my own Experience  last September 2020 while moored up at Barnes Brinks Yard we had a fairly large Boat beside us and Guess what the next Morning they had the Heater on at Six AM  before shoving off as my Crew got waken up as I'm totally Deaf I wish they woke up me up as I would had a word in their Ear hole  over this matter Idiots. I hope I don't  have this displeasure once again when I go in October for Two weeks 

If your neighbour had the engine running unnecessarily at thar hour I could understand your point of view but in my opinion hearing a heater going is just all part of being on a boat at that time of year.  

• Like 5

Got to say I also find heaters firing up in the early hours annoying. Okay, perhaps, when there is snow on the decks but this morning, whilst cold, it's bright, blue and gorgeous. Just get up, drag your coat on and go, it's brilliant, treat it like camping afloat. Have a dirty weekend!