Countdown To Normality..

Don't forget that all of this depends on people who normally behave like idiots, not behaving like idiots.  If people followed the lockdown rules, got themselves tested and quarantined themselves when asked and got their vaccinations when called, we will be out of this by the date on Jemaki's counter, if not before.  Why am I not holding my breath?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

Don't forget that all of this depends on people who normally behave like idiots, not behaving like idiots.  If people followed the lockdown rules, got themselves tested and quarantined themselves when asked and got their vaccinations when called, we will be out of this by the date on Jemaki's counter, if not before.  Why am I not holding my breath?

It is not quite so simple as that. If someone is displaying no symptoms then how are they to know that they should be getting tested or should be self isolating?

It is easy to blame other people and their behaviour but with a third of people who have tested positive displaying no symptoms it is difficult to isolate this group to prevent the virus spreading.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

It is not quite so simple as that. If someone is displaying no symptoms then how are they to know that they should be getting tested or should be self isolating?

It is easy to blame other people and their behaviour but with a third of people who have tested positive displaying no symptoms it is difficult to isolate this group to prevent the virus spreading.

True, which is why the NHS is offering asymptomatic testing.  Have you been for such a test?

2 minutes ago, Cal said:

If someone displaying no symptoms (but has the disease) obeys all the guidelines, he/she will be unlikely to spread it. If however they behave like selfish do-dos then spread it they will!

Too many have tried to bend the guidelines to their own convenience, though it does seem to be fewer this lockdown.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SteveO said:

True, which is why the NHS is offering asymptomatic testing.  Have you been for such a test?

No I have not and I have no plan to either.

There are two local testing stations but they are for people who can not work from home. I can work from home so see no need to take a test.

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If someone displaying no symptoms (but has the disease) obeys all the guidelines, he/she will be unlikely to spread it. If however they behave like selfish do-dos then spread it they will!

Too many have tried to bend the guidelines to their own convenience, though it does seem to be fewer this lockdown.

I'm not sure how true that is. Someone with the virus can easily spread it around a supermarket for example not knowing that they are doing so and not breaking any rules. The same applies to public transport and facilities.

I agree that there are some bending the rules or blatantly ignoring them but I do believe that the vast majority of people have been following the guidance which is evident in the massive drops in new cases.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteveO said:

From the queues I've seen on TV of places such as Liverpool and elsewhere where they were doing asymptomatic testing there was a good chance of catching Covid in the queue if you didn't already have it. What social distancing in the queue. As long as I don't have symptoms I'm not risking catching it by going for a test. Unnecessary risk springs to mind.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I read that yesterday 43 Vietnamese landed on the beach at Walmer.    Now all other considerations forgotten what happens to these people as far as Covid is concerned.   I trust that they are isolated and tested.

I just felt the collective tension from the mods then :default_rofl:

To answer your question, let's hope so.

• Like 1