Quay Assistant Reedham Quay

ranworthbreeze

I would love this job. Plenty going on to keep you active and entertained. Holidaymakers in the most part, happy to be on the Broads. Meeting and greeting the general public and boats, boats, boats. Oh dear, I would need to commute 4.5 hours each day to get there. Oh well, maybe not. 

Bit of a marmite job I think. You would need excellent person skills but not adopt the armchair admiral approach. I've had rangers there getting sniffy over my springs. You need to recognise who needs help and who (hopefully doesn't). The pay isn't great but I think some would really enjoy it. You'll get some flack as well when you do have to remonstrate with people. Was it Roy Hudd who had a go at the rangers a while back? For the right person with the right personality it could be a good number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

I think I could enjoy it, but somehow doing a job for £0 (how do they get away with below the minimum wage?) seems to be taking it away from someone who would need the income.

I guess it comes under “volunteering”, similar to charity shop workers and no doubt many others.

Regarding the “low” pay, I did see there is a pension scheme in place with an 18% contribution from the employer...it’s all the add ons inc. N.I. Contributions that employers have to budget for.

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Mmm, there’s a lot of that sort of thing going on, including people over normal retirement age working on, not that I’m suggesting they don’t need the work either, but it does put pressure on youngsters who can’t get work.

• Like 2

PW - not sure what Dayboat Level 3 is - do you mean PB level 2?  I don't think the latter is a necessity as if you haven't got it, they will put you through as they have, I guess, in house instructors. Same applies to First Aid certification - all part of the training if necessary. PB level 3 is just not necessary on Inland Waters and is a much more advanced level of training used for offshore work

There are some sailing Level 3 but not sure how valuable they would be! 

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

PW - not sure what Dayboat Level 3 is - do you mean PB level 2?  I don't think the latter is a necessity as if you haven't got it, they will put you through as they have, I guess, in house instructors.

Titles have changed since my antique times! Why I have suggested a high level of qualification is that offshore boats are a regular occurrence at Reedham. A very serious question, is the BA in anyway qualified to put Rangers & Quay attendants through relevant training? There was a serious incident at YH last summer resulting in a death. Might it not be sensible to have staff who are able to step aboard  and take over? I have witnessed hirers go into panic mode and thankfully folk have been on hand to help out. If the BA is genuinely serious about water safety then I suggest that formal qualification of their staff rather than in house training is a reasonable requirement. Bring back the likes of Mark Wakelin. 

5 hours ago, RS2021 said:

I think I could enjoy it, but somehow doing a job for £0 (how do they get away with below the minimum wage?) seems to be taking it away from someone who would need the income.

Before C&RT took over the canals there were very few paid lock keepers, usually only on large flights e.g. Hatton - 21 locks; Caen Hill - 29 locks and possibly a few other flights.

A few other flights had keepers in the main boating season onlyWatford and Foxton on the Leicester line and Delph (Birmingham Canal Navigations) come to mind. These keepers were not really there to work you through but to make sure you didn't waste water or hold up other traffic - of course most would give you a hand if you wanted it.

Except for the larger commercial waterways the only places I can think of that have lock keepers for safety are Bingley Five Rise staircase on the Leeds & Liverpool and Tuel Lane (fall of almost 20ft) on the Rochdale which is so deep because it was built to replace two locks that were covered by road widening before the canal was reopened.

I presume they still have some of these paid lock keepers but the majority of the volunteers are not taking peoples' jobs but are at locks which in BW days wouldn't have had lock keepers anyway.

• Like 2

The RYA is in control of the licensing of boating instructors, not the BA!!

There are several people, for example in sailing clubs who are qualified instructors for PB2 - I think your comment that the BA is may not qualified to do the training is inappropriate unless you know that for certain that they permit such practices? Do you really believe the BA would allow non qualified "instructors" to carry out such training? With respect I think thats being very naive -  their instructors should be fully qualified as such and I am certainly not in a position to expect otherwise. And unless you know better, neither should you!

They are also qualified staff who are instructors to show you how to operate other powered tools like brush cutters etc up to Lantra levels and would insist on renewals being done where required. 

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Titles have changed since my antique times! Why I have suggested a high level of qualification is that offshore boats are a regular occurrence at Reedham. A very serious question, is the BA in anyway qualified to put Rangers & Quay attendants through relevant training? There was a serious incident at YH last summer resulting in a death. Might it not be sensible to have staff who are able to step aboard  and take over? I have witnessed hirers go into panic mode and thankfully folk have been on hand to help out. If the BA is genuinely serious about water safety then I suggest that formal qualification of their staff rather than in house training is a reasonable requirement. Bring back the likes of Mark Wakelin. 

Hi Peter,

Our Rangers and Quay Assistants have first aid training and all get trained up to a RYA Powerboat Level 2 qualification. We have in-house staff in the Ranger and Visitor Services teams who are qualified/certified RYA approved instructors and are able to train others.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi Peter,

Our Rangers and Quay Assistants have first aid training and all get trained up to a RYA Powerboat Level 2 qualification. We have in-house staff in the Ranger and Visitor Services teams who are qualified/certified RYA approved instructors and are able to train others.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, Tom, very positive.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
4 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Still time!! 

I was ready to apply for the job until I read this in the description

"The purpose of the role is to ensure safe and orderly use of the moorings and facilities, to assist boat users and the public to enjoy safe, enjoyable boating"

Let's be honest, I'd be the one leading the conga line from the moorings to the Nelson and Ship to buy the first round and get the party started :default_drinks:

Yeah, I don't think I'm the applicant BA are looking for :default_rofl: