New Development For Potter

Meantime

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

I note that the plans include car parking spaces opposite .... 

Is that not a staithe?

The attached picture shows the area outlined in Red where the 9 spaces are proposed, presumably this is already private. There is one parking space divided off by wooden posts where the green line is. Maybe that is the staithe parking? or maybe from that one space to the proposed nine spaces is staithe parking?

Parking.thumb.jpg.9ff26e5e426831a647b8c77edb586271.jpg

Hmm, 8 garages 12 flats, so 4 will have to park outside. there are 18 spaces outside, some will be needed for staff. So maybe 10 for restaurant goers.. That going to be tight for parking.. and I bet many of the flat owners will fill their garage space with junk and park outside..

Also of course grokles will park anywhere and take spaces unless gated off..

Other than that it doesn't look too bad, it doesn't look like something the broads Authority would choose for themselves..

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

So where do the present car owners park after that? Are they not bungalow owners cars?

I could be wrong, but I think they pay to park there, so will have to find somewhere else to park. I believe you can pay to park long term in Lathams car park.

I am guessing there is a member on here who will know the ins and outs of it.

MT is right.  The spaces nearest the river on Bastwick Staithe - often referred to as Repps Staithe - were designated as car parking spaces by the BA, who erected black bollards and signage to the effect that parking is limited to two hours only.  In fact, the BA has since refused to maintain the plot of land which is now in a car damaging condition.  I am reasonably confident in stating that this piece of land is registered common land.

The spaces furthest from the river are located on land that was always in the same ownership as the land on which the Bridge pub stood before it burnt down.  There used to be a shed there in which was stored a huge quantity if kid pub furniture.  

The current owner of the old Bridge Inn pub site also owns the plot of land opposite the fish and chip shop/amusement arcade and has created nine car parking spaces that he rents out.

And yes, for the past very many years, those with bungalows on the banks of the River Thurne in the parishes of Martham, Repps and Potter Heigham have paid the previous owner, and now the current owner, to park there on a seasonal (now annual) permit basis.

In my capacity as Chair of the River Thurne Tenants Association (founded in 1948) I spent decades trying to solve the problem of car parking for owners of our riverside bungalows - none of which have road access.  In 2010, I formed a limited company that purchased space behind the then Broadshaven pub and created 63 car parking spaces.  These spaces, now owned by the Company, were then leased on a long lease basis strictly to bungalow owners only.  A sealed bid auction was vastly oversubscribed.  A waiting list was formed. Eleven years later, the waiting list is still eighteen bungalow owners long.  Most leases are transferred at the same time and to the same prospective purchasers of the leasehold bungalows as they come to market.

According to the Broads Authority, there are more than enough car parking spaces in Potter.  Where will forty-odd bungalow owners and bungalow hirers who currently park in the old Bridge Inn site park when the site is developed?  The two most recent leases for car parking spaces behind the Norada (ex-Broadshaven) pub changed hands at £10,000 a piece!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 26/02/2021 at 18:31, expilot said:

According to the Broads Authority, there are more than enough car parking spaces in Potter.

And so there may be, but many of them are assigned to specific use and so not available to anyone. If you simply look at the total number of spaces without considering that then it might well look like there are enough spaces. They are not interested if many of those are only available on a very expensive short to mid term rental basis.

Take a look at the google maps satellite view now and look how many spaces are available, for a Sunday in August there are lots of spaces not occupied. The one thing I see from that image is how many Herbert Woods boats are stuck in the yard, in high season!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paul said:

And so there may be, but many of them are assigned to specific use and so not available to anyone. If you simply look at the total number of spaces without considering that then it might well look like there are enough spaces. They are not interested if many of those are only available on a very expensive short to mid term rental basis.

Take a look at the google maps satellite view now and look how many spaces are available, for a Sunday in August there are lots of spaces not occupied. The one thing I see from that image is how many Herbert Woods boats are stuck in the yard, in high season!

how do you now the satellite view was taken in August?

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

how do you now the satellite view was taken in August?

The photo was taken around 12:00 noon on Sunday 23rd August, 2019. If you look at the tenth boat moored to the Repps bank down stream of the bridge you can just make me out sitting in the aft well enjoying a can of Guinness and waving to the satellite.......

OK, you are not convinced are you? Open the image in Google Earth Pro and it tells you the image date in the foot notes. I take the time of day from the shadows, falling almost due north would put the time around midday. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

According to GYMercury Planners have said the bid should be refused over flood risk concerns. The plans are up for discussion at this Fridays BA planning committee (18 June). Interestingly Potter Heigham parish council is not opposed but has concerns... mainly regarding drainage. EA and Historic England have objected, re flood' & bridge respectively. Recommended for refusal.

My clear memories of one very enjoyable season working the bar at the BH in its twilight years were that from time to time the drain unblocking companies were required to attend...

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

According to GYMercury Planners have said the bid should be refused over flood risk concerns. The plans are up for discussion at this Fridays BA planning committee (18 June). Interestingly Potter Heigham parish council is not opposed but has concerns... mainly regarding drainage. EA and Historic England have objected, re flood' & bridge respectively. Recommended for refusal.

My clear memories of one very enjoyable season working the bar at the BH in its twilight years were that from time to time the drain unblocking companies were required to attend...

The full info is here https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/391412/BA_2021_0067_FUL___The_Old_Bridge_Hotel_Site_Bridge_Road_Potter_Heigham___Redevelopment_of_site_to_create_12_holiday_units__restaurant_and_parking__.pdf

1 hour ago, Buttle said:

Don't get too excited, recommendation is refusal.

until they appeal, change the plans appeal, refer to the minister incharge and eventually enough money is spent ? then they'll get planning permission.

The flood risk is a red herring, that piece of land is way above the surrounding fields so that will get shot down on appeal..

I hate quarrelling with the opinion of others, but facts are facts.  Q says the land is "way above the surrounding fields" and that is a fact, but also a fact is that the land in question is, like all of our river Thurne rhond plots situated on the functioning flood plain of the River Thurne.  In other words, the old Bridge Inn site is riverside of the flood defences and, as such, the land is designed to flood long before the surrounding fields.  Half the site has been flooded - sometimes for weeks on end - again this past Winter.

I fully support the applicant in his wish to develop this land, and wish him every success in the inevitable appeal when it is lodged, but any development will have to accommodate the flood-risk factors.

• Like 9

For those not aware the fact that the site is is on the river side of the flood defences is the reason it is the Environment Agency raising an objection rather than Norfolk County Council as lead flood authority. Both the parish council in which the site sits and the adjacent parish recognise the need to redevelop the site.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...