Hire Prices - Yikes!

catcouk

35 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

That's not true. All the boat's I originally mentioned work out substantially cheaper than quoted on the Richardsons site. eg. Superior Gem 16th April for 1 week all in cost £1206. Hoseasons all in £814. Pearl Gem Richardsons all in £1319, Hoseasons £899 and Majestic Gem Richardsons all in £1544, Hoseasons all in £1050. One set of pricing is wrong. It will be interesting to see which one! Also, the differential seems to be around a third% increase.

Ahh. I was looking a week later. Must be an Easter thing. In recent years some companies haven't put their prices up for Easter. Maybe it's coming back.

4 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

David put in the prices on hoseasons for next year and see if they come out the same for this year ???

I just tried that for Superior Gem. Can't compare Easter for this year obviously - the summer school holidays are full, so I tried October half term, where the prices for 2021 and 2022 are the same. They would be as I think Hoseasons (and the yards) have a "hold price" guarantee for next year. To muddy the waters further, Hoseason came out about £50 more than Richardsons all in price. No idea what's going on!

• Like 2

Easter may also explain why a boat is booked for next year. Holiday companies are working through cancellations in date order. If they have already done the first week in April, covering Easter, and offered to move a holiday to the 'equivalent' week next year it will be two weeks later in 2022. Not sure what they then offer customers with bookings in those weeks this year when they get to them!

It makes a difference to your right to a refund as to whether you ask to cancel when you could still legally take your holiday or wait for them to come to you once it’s clear your booking can’t go ahead. We waited for Richardson’s to contact us to cancel the short break we should have had next month. Their opening offer was for us to rebook. Once we declined that they gave us our full refund of course. 

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

It makes a difference to your right to a refund as to whether you ask to cancel when you could still legally take your holiday or wait for them to come to you once it’s clear your booking can’t go ahead. We waited for Richardson’s to contact us to cancel the short break we should have had next month. Their opening offer was for us to rebook. Once we declined that they gave us our full refund of course. 

That's a fair point Jean and just to add, so far I've found boatyards to be good if rather than waiting for them you phone them to point out you won't be able to legally travel. I phoned Ferry as soon as it was clear I couldn't go in February and rebooked for October. I chose a more expensive week and they were kind enough to only charge me half the difference.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

My advice is to book with Hunter’s Yard. Same price throughout the season. :default_biggrin: What a fair deal. 

Mind you, there’s sailing involved.

:default_sailing:

:default_smiley-char054:

:default_gbxhmm:

I love sailing. Not sure how the wife and toddler would feel about the small living conditions! 

Hi as to going abroad to benidorm is cheaper then the Broads plus the Drinks may I add Beware of the Budget on Wednesday. At the moment saddle they cannot go  and being stuck in the Uk they pay the earth as to going away where like the Norfolk Broads once again as to Private and  syndicates including requlars Hirers as it's a bit of inconvenience to us all for me to say the least.

7 hours ago, SwanR said:

Sorry Jean, only just seen your post. I was referring to a refund if Hoseasons had misquoted, and wanted you to pay more. Under those circumstances, they would have broken the contract and you would be entitled to a refund. If not, anyone could get you to commit at a certain price, then put the price up. Imagine putting a deposit down to purchase a car, and when you go to collect it, they tell you its £2,000 more expensive. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Sorry Jean, only just seen your post. I was referring to a refund if Hoseasons had misquoted, and wanted you to pay more.

It's ok, I wasn't replying to anyone in particular, just adding it into the discussion.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I've just shown my wife, she said no thanks, you can go on your own. Then I looked at the price, twice the price of a cruiser for our October week and I thought ......................... (text deleted)

I looked at the price and made the same observation. The idea didn't progress to the next stage with the wife... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Given the option I would prefer one of Colin Buttifants boats - altogether a different experience with small kids and just a few more home comforts!!

We have friends who hire from Swallowtail (Colin Buttifant) every year. They really are lovely boats. 

C6DB8B7F-7A52-48DD-A6AA-C84A2E719903.jpeg

• Like 1

I had Womack Classic one year with my son, his wife and my grandson -  lovely memories although I doubt he will remember it as he was probably a bit young. Nonetheless as long as you geared the sailing day around him, it worked a treat and we had a great time!

• Like 1