Virtual Pub Crawl Of The Broads... North To South..

ScrumpyCheddar

I know we all have our favourite Pubs and drinks local ales and spirits.. peanuts and even crisps if you like 🤣🤣

But I thought 💭... Let’s have a virtual Pub crawl.. Riverside to town side even harbour side.. Of our lovely Broads ...

Now we all do have an bit of knowledge of this from members who live and boat owners and Holidaying hirers over the years...  

• Like 2

Hi There was a list of over 50 pubs that our club had they had to be within strolling distance of your moored boat, you ticked of the one's as you visited them for a drink, i did all except one not possible now as many have changed/closed, would you like me to try and find it, or do you just want a list of the ones that are open today or were open before covid last year. John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, annv said:

Hi There was a list of over 50 pubs that our club had they had to be within strolling distance of your moored boat, you ticked of the one's as you visited them for a drink, i did all except one not possible now as many have changed/closed, would you like me to try and find it, or do you just want a list of the ones that are open today or were open before covid last year. John

Fire away John let’s see which ones are others favourites from past and present.. Can you remember any of the drinks in them..👍👍

I need gluten-free so I'd always include The Lion at Thurne because they serve a lovely gluten-free beer on draught called Redwell Steam. To find a gluten-free beer on draft is rare. The rest of the time I enjoy draught cider so somewhere serving a good choice of those would be on the list.

Guest Jayfire

Favourites? Who started talking about favourite pubs on a pub crawl???? :default_biggrin:

If anyone has read my holiday travels you have a pub crawl right there but talking about favourites Eminem?????? 

The pool table that was at the Ferry at Stokesby...sorry, I mean the Ferry pub at Stokesby :default_smiley-angelic002: , the ducks outside the Norada at Potter :default_icon_luvlove:, Bridge Inn at Acle (because I was told it was our favourite and I know my place....despite being the man)

Seriously though, a pub crawl? I got you covered, just let me know how far you wanna walk and how far from the Riverside you wanna go and off we go :default_norty:

Perhaps a good place to start a pub crawl is at one end and work to the other. So for my little excursion I’ll start at the Recruiting Sergeant. The pub is known for its grub but they don’t get sniffy if you just go in for a drink. The beer is pretty good too – they tend to stock the usual suspects but do sell some decent ones too – I’ve had Grain in there before now.

Large pub mainly set for dining but a very nice patio and beer garden at the back. There are a few tables at the front too.

The food is expensive but very good. I treated Mrs Nog to lunch back in September. As well as raiding the gin menu she went for giant prawns and pronounced them superb.

It’s certainly an up market pub but they seem happy to serve dodgy Yorkshire folk.

On with the pub crawl, head back over the bridge back to Coltishall.........

DSC_0770.JPG

• Like 3

The London Tavern was destroyed by a gas explosion so I never did get in. Up the road towards the old station was the Railway. Proper pub but not for the faint hearted. They did live music too but never managed to get in for that. It closed a few years ago sadly.

So carry on up the road towards Hoveton. Few minutes walk brings you to the Red Lion. More of a proper locals pub and a good bet for beer. The guy who owns it (Brian) put it up for sale but I believe now that he will rent it out or part of it so it can still be a pub. We enquired last September and that seemed to be the plan so fingers crossed it will open again.

Carry on up the incline and down the other side to the Kings Head and Rising Sun.......

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
14 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

It’s certainly an up market pub but they seem happy to serve dodgy Yorkshire folk.

Great pub, and I can't remember a bad beer...sorry...lager there. And not remembering is always a good sign, am I right guys :default_smiley-angelic002:

Oh, and they served me so everyone is welcome :default_norty:

I'll try to add a few more but obviously others will have ideas too. Everyone has their own reccomendations.

From your gaff you could try the Recruiting Sergeant - hubby needs his cheque book but it is good. 

White Horse at Neatishead is excellent IMHO 

I think the Star at Lessingham is well regarded but it's a bit too far for me. 

I always say you can't fault the Bridge Inn. Beers spot on really good efficient service and good grub.

White Horse at Upton. 

We were taken out to the Brick Kilns at Little Plumstead in September. That was good they also do a good veggie menu , I know Carol has been there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Top Three..

We all love Sonia’s The ferry House Surlingham.. Always a good start off point in my book ... Fab food great lager and beer.... brilliant on a summers day sat outside watching the boats go by... 

Another one of my favourites is Broadview Oulton broad .... chilling inside or outside with a pint of cloudy apple 🍺 ... Brilliant chap called Chris who runs it..  

Then last year I was taken to the end of the Southern Broads down to the Locks ... Sat in the sun having a few pints of Grain ... and soaking up and falling in love with the place.. So I bought a little of it 🤣🤣🙏..

This is so hard because all of the pubs and restaurants we stop at are fabulous... 

Coldham hall 

Waters Edge 

New inn Rockland 

The Reedcutter 

The waveney 

Spoons The Kingshead Beecles 

The Yare 

The wherry Geldeston... 

I can’t wait for the summer.. Detoxification my livers as we speak 🤣🤣🤣

So it’s Back over to Mr Nog and Mr Jayfire our Resident pub and beer guides 🍺🥂🥃🍷🥂🍷🥃🍺

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
On 28/02/2021 at 21:50, NorfolkNog said:

Carry on up the incline and down the other side to the Kings Head and Rising Sun.......

Sitting outside the Rising Sun on a beautiful summers day is hard to beat, plus sinking the obligatory vessel or two as you watch the river of course. They serve a fine pint of Birra Moretti Mr Nog :default_wink:

20170813181832_IMG_0351.thumb.JPG.ab71b3ced3821c3aec671dd0c907a5fa.JPG

22 hours ago, SwanR said:

I just might have to read this thread to get recommendations for places to try. 

Jean I can't help you with pubs to eat at, but I'd happily take you on a pub crawl of all the finest drinking holes around you.... and some great absolute dives too :default_beerchug:

Having just about done in Coltishall it must be time for a pootle down river to Wroxham/Hoveton

33 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

They serve a fine pint of Birra Moretti Mr Nog

Ha! It's probably better than the beer, I am always very reluctant to be critical of course, although the view is very pleasant and plenty of activity on the river. Red Lion for the beer though :default_beerchug: (although it's not too-o-o bad in the Kings Head if a little on the pricey side). 

Hmmmm, where does one drink in Hoveton/Wroxham nowadays?  Personally I would hold fire until I reached the Black Horse at Hoveton St John, now rebuilt after a mysterious gas explosion took out the small development of bijou exec residences that occupied the space of the original establishment (well someone did say that it was a fantasy pub-crawl :default_biggrin:)

• Like 1