Something else to worry about

This one is running on the other side too

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274579

Apparently the article authors wrote to various boat manufacturers to ask how they could justify fitting brass fitting, none of the yacht manufacturers responded, however they did also write to Sealine who did respond, they offered the justification that the brass fittings will last the 5 years prescribed in RCD ISO 9093-1, (but this 5 years does NOT take into account electrolytic action which accelerates the rate of dezincification... )

Very probably Ian, though I suspect for later vessels one could argue latent design fault which is usually covered.

I had forgotten about that Perry, a useful reminder. I reckon I might well look at some glass filled plastic fittings on the next lift out, though I have always given my through hulls a good sideways tap to check at each lift out. Given that the RCD only expects a five year life they look like a service item now, better be safe than sunk.

does this mean that the insurance company's will deem that you have failed to maintain your boat correctly if one of these cheap fittings, fitted from new, fails and sinks your boat?

I think ( and will check later in the week) ISO 9093-2:2002 - Small craft -- Seacocks and through-hull fittings gives the life of a fitting as minimum 5 years, so I suppose now you have raised it the insurance company might say it is a failure of maintenance. :naughty:

Ian :Sailing

I think I have just been Lakesailored!

I think I have just been Lakesailored!

Only a bit Ian :grin: , in a recent nameless incident the insurance company refused to cover it as corrosion of underwater fittings is specifically excluded from most policies. :o