Moving To Norfolk No

Andrewcook

Hi I've notice a few Essex Forum Members have moved to Norfolk is it Cheaper living? Or a change of scenery? So how many Essex Forums left now I wonder ? I love to live up their?  I do like going on Holidays Once it Twice a Year to the Broads then back Home  to Essex till the Next Year to get my Norfolk  Broads Fix  lol

• Like 1

I think generally speaking (but not always) if you move from the South (i.e. below Norfolk) then the price differential works well. If you move South to Norfolk e.g. from flat hat land then it doesn't!! :default_crying1animated:  (unless you live in York, Harrogate or Richmond of course) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think generally speaking (but not always) if you move from the South (i.e. below Norfolk) then the price differential works well. If you move South to Norfolk e.g. from flat hat land then it doesn't!! :default_crying1animated:  (unless you live in York, Harrogate or Richmond of course) 

Hmmm, I’m not 100% on this, Burnham Market is closer to fhl but very expensive and hence London-on-sea. Head east and you will stumble upon the Runtons which seem to be popular with those from Leicestershire. Head on to Mundesley and you’re talking Essex money. But if you don your flat cap and head a bit further south (albeit east)  to Bacton/Walcott/Ostend then you can pick up a prefab for the price of sloping terrace maybe? Now, if you’re talking beer prices...

You definitely get more house for your money the further you get up the A12/A14/A140/A47..........although actual riverside property is of course a different matter.

I'm in the very  North East of Essex so I imagine the difference must be greater the further down the A12 you started from...

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

If you move South to Norfolk e.g. from flat hat land then it doesn't!! :default_crying1animated:  (unless you live in York, Harrogate or Richmond of course) 

There are some rich folk in Donnie too :default_norty:

Just be prepared to be driving, walking and generally wallowing in mud from September to March as the Beet Harvest follows the spuds. 

Gore-tex shoes and good quality wellies are required for walking on even the lanes and forget about keeping you car, inside and out even half decent.

"When the wind is in the East it is neither good for man or beast" is a saying only trully appreciated looking out to sea twix Brancaster and Palling.

The above has driven a number of incomers back to the Home Counties in my vicinity and I know of two who wish to return but no longer can afford to.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

(unless you live in York, Harrogate or Richmond of course) 

I spent 3 years in Catterick (and I'm off back there for a fortnight on course later today!) and I was always gobsmacked at the cost of property in Richmond. Aside from being quite pretty there's not nearly enough there to warrant the cost in my opinion.

As you Andrew's original point, I suppose Norfolk is far (and different) enough from Essex for it to feel a real change but still close enough for family etc. That would be my logic at least.

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The above has driven a number of incomers back to the Home Counties in my vicinity and I know of two who wish to return but no longer can afford to.

How often have I heard that lament! Folk who have moved up here during the summer months with no comprehension of the winters, or the lack of shops and friends and family. I have watched programs on TV featuring people who want to escape to the country, looking for a house where they can entertain and have room for family to come and stay. That might work with the present interest in staycations but I suspect that that bubble will eventually burst. Even family drifts apart. The saying goes that folk, and some animals, go home to die, only for many ex-city incomers that has become impossible. They can no longer afford to go 'home.'  Moving into the country can be lonely. Granted that little groups of ex Essex folk, for example, eventually form but whilst some work well, even attracting the natives, others just become peopled by folk who lament their old homes, for whom the Alf Garnett song book is their mantra, they never cease to be a Londoner from dear old London Town. For many the move is a great success, for some it clearly isn't.

• Like 3

Similar stories come regardless of where one moves to.  There are numerous expats in Germany who "came over for a few years" and after a while get tired or the job or relationship folds & when they return to their home country they usually find its not what they remembered & is no longer what they like.

Generally the countryside has remained but the people have changed...

• Like 2

When I moved to Norfolk in close to 20 years ago, I dreamt of having a quieter, more relaxed life. Then, like an idiot, I started a boat hire company...... I have now ceased to hire boats and life is, finally, quieter. But maybe that's lockdown. 

It's a wonderful place to be and I love it, but I also love hills and mountains and there aren't enough of them in these parts. 

44 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

It's a wonderful place to be and I love it, but I also love hills and mountains and there aren't enough of them in these parts. 

Come off it, Andy, there's Beeston Hills near Cromer, surely that's enough for you? As for embryo mountains, plenty of mole hills to work with.

I must confess to being a bit of a vagrant, myself.  I lived in NW London until I was 21, when I moved to Milton Keynes where affordable housing was still available.  Nine years later, having met and married ‘er indoors’ we moved to Towcester, which became home for about 16 years before moving to our current address on the outskirts of Northampton in 2002.  
I have never missed London since leaving, although we made frequent visits until my parents moved to Milton Keynes in 1993 following my dad’s retirement and occasional subsequent visits to go to the theatre or other special events.

If I’m honest, I’ve never truly felt at home anywhere I’ve lived, but hope that that feeling will finally be resolved when we eventually move to Norfolk.  Just hoping that the solicitors will finally conclude the legal bit soon, so we can get on with it.  Over the past few days, I’ve been going through some old birth and marriage certificates I found in mum’s house, after dad died and it turns out that the bungalow we are buying is only a few miles from where my great grandparents were born and married.  Perhaps that’s fate.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I must confess to being a bit of a vagrant, myself.  I lived in NW London until I was 21, when I moved to Milton Keynes where affordable housing was still available.  Nine years later, having met and married ‘er indoors’ we moved to Towcester, which became home for about 16 years before moving to our current address on the outskirts of Northampton in 2002.  
I have never missed London since leaving, although we made frequent visits until my parents moved to Milton Keynes in 1993 following my dad’s retirement and occasional subsequent visits to go to the theatre or other special events.

If I’m honest, I’ve never truly felt at home anywhere I’ve lived, but hope that that feeling will finally be resolved when we eventually move to Norfolk.  Just hoping that the solicitors will finally conclude the legal bit soon, so we can get on with it.  Over the past few days, I’ve been going through some old birth and marriage certificates I found in mum’s house, after dad died and it turns out that the bungalow we are buying is only a few miles from where my great grandparents were born and married.  Perhaps that’s fate.

I’m sure when you get settled you will love it

for a long time we could not decide between Norfolk or Cornwall to retire to , we chose Cornwall and we love it but it is a long way from the boats well to anywhere really 

so would never rule out another relocate back to Norfolk never back to Essex though !

• Like 1

Lived & worked in South London till 2001 & rarely return to see its overflowing litter bins & junk on almost every street (so that where our new visitors last summer learned the habit)?

I've heard over 50% of hire boat bookings for 2021 are to those new to boating

13 minutes ago, snunn said:

. . . . . . . . . . for a long time we could not decide between Norfolk or Cornwall to retire to , we chose Cornwall and we love it . . . . . . . . .

Cornwall would have been the other option for us to retire to, but it is too far from our families.  We can get from Norfolk back to either Milton Keynes or Northampton where friends and family live, in a couple of hours, but as you know, Cornwall would be several hours.  Not only that, but it would be a bit of a trial getting to our boat, too!!

To be honest, my first recollection of a family holiday as a child, was one spent in Cornwall and for me, it remains a special place and one of my favourite to revisit.  We are due to return at the end of June to have our holiday originally planned for last year, but postponed due to that virus.  I can hardly wait for the chance to have a proper Cornish pasty again!!

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

I've heard over 50% of hire boat bookings for 2021 are to those new to boating

I just hope that they all get the Broads bug but nevertheless I'm glad that I am down South, at least whilst they are learning. Perhaps newcomers should be advised to stay clear of Gt Yarmouth.

We moved from North London to Cambs. when  we sold the business and Tony retired in October 2000. Do I feel athome here? No  -  not really. when we first made the move we bought a bungalow but I quickly realise I wasn't ready for a bungalow also It was in Soham at that very bad time so we relocated to a house in another small fenland trown and have now been here for 17 years and while the house  feels like home finally  - the town doesn't.  I'm a Londoner but I'm enough of a realist to know that if I moved back I would be disappointed to find how much had changed.

Carole

• Like 1

Brought up in Yorkshire and have lived in West Scotland, Thetford, Skipton and, for the past 30+ years, East Kent. Would I go back to live in Norfolk? Not sure, love the place though I do.  Too many wealthy, powerful landowners, tugging of forelocks, patchy healthcare provision, dodgy Internet and poor transport links with the rest of the country. Also too far away from our kids.  It looks good value on paper, but you tend to get what you pay for.  For me, Norfolk is a fantastic place to visit and holiday, but not a place to live. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi thank you Forum Members for your  comments. There is one other thing are there a few Housing Associations up in Norfolk ? As I belong to  a Housing Association in Essex at the moment. 

I'm sure that there are, I do know that there is a very good one based in Beccles but that is in Suffolk, just.