Moving To Norfolk No

Andrewcook

This is a really interesting topic. Graham and I have vaguely thought about either relocating after I retire to Anglesey (where we both grew up and met) or Norfolk. I wonder how we would adjust to the move though. It took me several years to adjust to the move from Anglesey to Milton Keynes. I don’t think it really felt like home until our kids started school (over 10 years since moving here). 

4 hours ago, addicted said:

. . . .we bought a bungalow but I quickly realise I wasn't ready for a bungalow . . . . .

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure that I’m ready for a bungalow, but there are a couple of reasons why we’re buying one.  I hate moving house and I witnessed the difficulties mum and dad experienced in their house due to failing health.  I don’t want to be reliant on our son and his family as mum and dad became on us, as I become older and more decrepit, so a bungalow seems the best option now to save another move in the future.

Also, a new railport (similar to the one at Crick) has just started to be developed just the other side of the M1 near where we live.  It is inevitably going to increase traffic and noise whilst under construction and be a blot on the landscape as well.  I’m not sure what effect it will have on the value of houses, but I just don’t want the inconvenience that will ultimately follow, so getting out now seems the most attractive prospect.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Hi thank you Forum Members for your  comments. There is one other thing are there a few Housing Associations up in Norfolk ? As I belong to  a Housing Association in Essex at the moment. 

Wherry Housing Association took over Broadband District Councils social housing stock about 30 years ago. Not sure if they are still operating under that name as there have been mergers and name changed with some assns, subsequently. Hope that helps.

Hi,we moved here to the edge of a market town in North Norfolk 18 years ago and love it.We considered country and coast but are so pleased we ended up here now as we are getting older and benefit from the close proximity of every thing we need.For us it has worked out well and would never considered moving back.

• Like 2

We have always said that when we had both retired we would downsize and move to The Broads , in our early days of courtship , when I was 17 , Katie did her nurse training at the old Norfolk and Norwich hospital , my family had a holiday cottage at Sheringham and any free time we had was spent in Norfolk . 
A Norfolk retirement is still our intention and the time draws ever nearer 

• Like 1

Retirement to an area where you have kept up an ongoing connection sounds like a good plan.
When Graham and I were younger we just assumed we would go back to Anglesey when we retired. 
I’m not sure about that any longer. I’ve grown to love Milton Keynes, especially it’s multicultural vibe. So maybe settling down back in Anglesey might not be as straightforward as we might hope.
A while back I was manager to a woman who had previously worked in my organisation but been in the US for about 10 years before returning to work  in the UK and she found it quite difficult to settle in. My own ‘line manager’ (boss) was a woman originally from the US. I found it helpful that she observed that culturally the UK had changed so much in that 10 year period that anyone returning would have to adjust and if they assumed everything would be the same that would be a problem for them. And that’s just 10 years! 

• Like 1

Milton Keynes is a town where just about everyone is an incomer.. A quite strange place..

I didn't find it particularly multi cultural, we worked, based in a factory of over 1000 people. 99% white British, just a couple of Indian / Pakistani descent and one of more direct African descent. There were none of foreign Descent on the street we lived in..

The whole staff were mostly Londoners who'd moved out. (Note the company had security aspects, meaning yourself and your parents had to have  UK allegiance, also  the company itself had moved out from nearer London).

We moved to Norfolk just over 20 years ago, from MK, before that I had moved many many times. Nowhere is home to me, but I do have likings for some places.

Our choice was to move to Norfolk long before retirement. So we would be settled in before the time came. We certainly couldn't afford anything like the property we have back in MK, it would probably be in the million pound mark because of our land.

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Our choice was to move to Norfolk long before retirement.

I don't anticipate moving to Norfolk, don't think I could cope with a move of half a mile!

That aside, a wise choice by 'Q'. I know of my own experience, I had planned to do so much when I retired but what I had not planned for was failing health, in a nutshell, getting old. As my doctor once asked me, 'what else did I expect'? Well, not being stick dependent by my mid seventies was one thing that i hadn't bargained for!

Not only my health but that of those around me. Firstly my mum in law, I won't go into details but basically my wife and I lost four years of our retirement in caring for her. I don't begrudge that for one minute but it was unplanned for. Going off for a week on the boat became a memory. We then had a years freedom before my wife developed problems, boating was down to day trips. Then along came Covid! Retirement has sadly not gone to plan! We've stayed put, glad that we did apart from the garden, that is proving a bit of a chore now.

• Sad 2

I still don't feel ready for  a bungalow.  However the twinges in both knees when using our stairs are  telling me different. Of course I knew I would get old, but that was just in theory , Unrealistically I just didn't anticipate the physical changes that would involve or how much  I would mind gettting old. It still comes as a shock to find there are things that used to be simple to do  and are now impossible. I was absolutely amazed to be told a couple of years ago that I needed a new hip.  As was my daughter who said "You can't Mum you haven't done enough to wear out the one you were born with!" Well I had the new hip ,Out and about with no stick or limp within 6 weeks, but other things are showing signs of wear - now how did that happen? I  love Norfolk but don't think a move  there would be a good idea. It's just that bit too far from family and I was  rather dismayed to overhear a local resident in the Brundle post office complaining about how long it takes to get a doctor's appointment and this was before covid. So it looks like the bungalow that I still don't feel ready for is on the horizon.

Carole

• Like 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Of course I knew I would get old, but that was just in theory , Unrealistically I just didn't anticipate the physical changes that would involve or how much  I would mind gettting old. It still comes as a shock to find there are things that used to be simple to do  and are now impossible.

My thoughts entirely. As for stairs I can manage, just not in leaps and bounds. Hips not a problem, yet, just my legs, damn things! I've gone well beyond twinges, as has also happened to a close friend. He's now had three cancellations for treatment and uses either a frame or two sticks, I just need one. As for doctor's appointments . . . . . . .  don't get me started! First of all you have to get past the receptionist, ohhh dear!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

I  love Norfolk but don't think a move  there would be a good idea. It's just that bit too far from family and I was  rather dismayed to overhear a local resident in the Brundle post office complaining about how long it takes to get a doctor's appointment and this was before covid. So it looks like the bungalow that I still don't feel ready for is on the horizon.

Carole

As a recent "Blow in" from a large town I have learnt that people who have lived in villages for some time do not like changes, now sometimes their views are correct and often aired on local resident websites, things like the new housing estate being built will ruin "our village" and blaming McDonalds for the rubbish being dropped by their customers are common themes and god forbid the closing of a road for water pipes to be layed or the opening of a new takeaway with bright colours in the logo however that said I understand that some have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Coming to the Brundall resident bemoaning the problem getting a doctors appointment in the post office, yes they are correct and it will become worse as new houses are built. I may well have been the person standing behind them in the queue and pulling my hair out whilst they had their discussion but I am learning what village life is all about compared to the faster pace of life of living in a large town. 

• Like 2

Local surgeries are a bit of a lottery - certainly at Blofield they are going to be building more rooms in quite a large extension and it is quite noticeable that the number of Dr's on the notepaper grows ever longer. I hope its a good sign - to be quite honest some seem to be much better run than others I am afraid!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marshman said:

Local surgeries are a bit of a lottery - certainly at Blofield they are going to be building more rooms in quite a large extension and it is quite noticeable that the number of Dr's on the notepaper grows ever longer. I hope its a good sign - to be quite honest some seem to be much better run than others I am afraid!!!

That is useful to know, now I`ll be looking around next time I`m there thinking "Is that marshman over there? :default_biggrin:

Hmm people moving into villages is a mine field but simplified, it can be divided into two categories. youngsters moviing in, the yuppie dinks commuting to their London jobs, and the retired people who love the peace and tranquillity that village life can offer.

This second group, as long as they're willing to muck in with village functions, are normally welcome and are no threat to the status quo. Sadly the first group can be more of a problem.

So, Justin and Trish move into that idyllic little village they visited when on holiday and fell in love with. Soon the love of the village shop starts to fade, The High street is OK, but a pain when it's raining. What this one horse town really needs is a Tesco, a John Lewis and a good unisex hairdresser.

After a while when enough "Justins and Trish's" have moved in, slowly but surely their wish is granted. The multinationals move in (or rather nearby.), the local shops suffer and close and lo and behold you have a town like any other. The residents go on holiday and fall in love with this quaint little village they visited.  Hey ho and off we go... again.

OK, a massively simplistic view, but in essence it's what happens, and it's why the old locals  might feel threatened by newcomers.

Nationals moving in can be positive. Take Beccles for example, Tesco moved in, complete with vast carpark bang in the middle of the town, hey presto, FREE parking and all the surrounding independents are thriving. People now shop in Beccles from miles around, easy access, unlike nearby Lowestoft. It's worked for Beccles. Plenty of hairdressers too but thank goodness no John Lewis or Waitrose. Beccles, at the moment, has got it about right. Mind you, it's not a village.

15 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I thought Beccles was a market town? Does it still have a market? 

From the Town Council website - not sure what's happened in lockdown probably Food only?

Last summer the Antique Fair moved to by the Quay and was extremely popular

BECCLES FRIDAY MARKET

Beccles Friday Market operates from 6.00am until 4.00pm every Friday.  The Town Council is always looking for more traders to sell their products on their Friday Market, and if you feel you have something to offer in what you craft, bake or provide, then please download the registration form and send to Beccles Town Hall, The Walk, Beccles NR34 9AJ  or call 01502 712109 if you require further information.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tesco moved in, complete with vast carpark bang in the middle of the town

Thankfully they didn't get to bulldoze the Caxton Club in the process :default_swordpir:

21 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Ignore that bit, crossed with BTR 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

it can be divided into two categories. youngsters moviing in, the yuppie dinks commuting to their London jobs, and the retired people who love the peace and tranquillity that village life can offer.

You missed the other catagory, boaters that can't count to three catagories.