The Latest Amended Broads Authority Guidance

Meantime

It seems the BA have quietly and subtly amended their guidance so that is more closely follows the Governments official legislation and guidance. Although I'm now struggling to find where it says "avoid travelling long distances" in the Governments advice. You would have thought that having shot themselves in the foot once, they would avoid doing so again!

Anyway it does seem that good honest, open and unstifled debate in some places has led the BA to review its "guidance" to more closely follow the Governments.

The BA's advice is on the link below, but as ever I would advise to follow the Governments official advice.

BA's latest latest updated advice

• Like 2

Thats a bit strange as I fully expect hiring of cruisers to single households beginning on 12th April? Camping and caravan sites too from that date as long as they meet the wider restrictions or so their websites say?

No no - I don't want to open a wider discussion!

Sorry!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Thats a bit strange as I fully expect hiring of cruisers to single households beginning on 12th April? Camping and caravan sites too from that date as long as they meet the wider restrictions or so their websites say?

Sorry!

It's correct. From (No earlier than) 12th April self contained / self catering holiday accommodation and second homes can open and be used. This means that all shared facilities must stay closed. From (No earlier than) 17th May Hotels and serviced holiday facilities may open in line with indoors dining being open. So shared facilities on camp sites can also open.

Just now, marshman said:

Sorry!

Maybe I should have included the phrase used in the reply I got: "we are not able to open shared facilities until May 17th".

It's the shared bit. I didn't want anyone to arrive at their day boat with crossed legs and have nowhere to go! :default_jumelles:

Well, providing the government instructions don't change, my wife and I plan to have a few days cruising on the boat from 12th April. Yippee!

I shall of course restrict myself to minimal travel by planning the shortest route to the boat, which is 112 miles. Can't see any problem, we fill the car with fuel near home (pay at pump) and we take all our food and drink with us, so won't be in contact with anyone else.

Look forward to giving everyone else a wave on the river.

• Like 7

Its probably me, I wonder why the BA comes up short for us motor cruisers?

I also work for a government agency and receive the exact same cabinet brief and interpretation and yet two departments come to different conclusions.

DEFRA  don't make policy, they interpret parliament laws and their advise for the November lockdown was its up to you.

That aside, The BA felt like it cant wait to stop us from using the Broads to the extent we are able to.

As above, they was way off from governmental advise in these last weeks that even just listening to the PM would have told them.

Who on earth are they listing to? and they are not a public health body

Edited by Cheesey69
spelling

I contacted the BA over the weekend to point out that Herbert Woods had copied their advice and from today were offering day boat hire to anyone living in Norfolk. That is against the current stay at home and stay local Government rules. I had a nice reply today that they had amended their advice. 

I have replied to Herbert Woods on their Facebook page since and basically asked them not to advise that anyone in Norfolk can travel to Potter Heigham. 

• Like 2

Personally I have a long time ago now had enough of trying to interpret the Ba's idea on guidelines. Seems to me that yet again they have ideas way above their station, or just putting out statements / ideas because they can do so, full of their own importance

I'm following the governments guidance and therefore I'll be onboard 'B.A' on the 12th April staying overnight for two nights coming home on the 14th 

Griff

• Like 8

2 hours ago, grendel said:

well the advice doesnt seem that much different to before, except they have removed the graphic chart that was obviously causing confusion.

If you follow the link I posted earlier you will find on that page a link to a new roadmap the BA have published. For ease I have added a link to it in this post. That roadmap still carries some discrepancies when compared to the Government guidance, but more closely follows it than anything they have managed to publish so far. We could endlessly debate the differences between the original and the new revised version, but it would be a pointless waste of time as at any point the debate could and most likely would be locked. :default_icon_e_surprised:

The best advice therefore is to follow the Government guidance. If you find a discrepancy between the BA guidance and the Government guidance, follow the Government guidance.

BA's Revised Lockdown Guidance Roadmap

I will add that the Government guidance makes far less usage of bold text than the BA's guidance. Make of that what you will.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Personally I have a long time ago now had enough of trying to interpret the Ba's idea on guidelines. Seems to me that yet again they have ideas way above their station, or just putting out statements / ideas because they can do so full of their own importance

Bang on the money, in my opinion. I somehow don't think that the BA's guidance was left to a mere minion to formulate.

• Like 3

Personal observations and opinions follows:

In my sincere opinion the BA has become entirely autocratic. The chief executive is actually employed by the Broads Authority which in turn is the governing body for the Broads. However, who sets and leads the agenda of the Authority? It certainly is not the Chairman or members of the Authority. My belief is that the Authority is driven by personal ambition and agenda. 

The Authority has issued dictates and advice in regard to the Covid pandemic. The Authority has no power to uphold that advice. Effectively they are giving 'guidance' that they cannot enforce. 

In fairness I have to accept that Dr Packman is seeking advice from DEFRA and other government departments with all the. best intentions. However, you can not be barred from the waterways, at least not by the Authority.  Stick to HMG guidance.

Why would the Authority seek to discourage you from using your boat? You decide. Like other toll payers I received a 'message to all Broads boat owners', within that letter is the following: " At the time of writing it is not clear when boating will be able to begin again but when you are able to get back on the water . . . . . . . . . . "  The semantics of that message are open to debate and probably argument but nevertheless I still wonder at the underlying agenda of our autocratic Authority.

As Griff has wisely pointed out, they are 'full of their own importance'.

• Like 2

Please keep your posts constructive to the thread and please, pretty please don’t put that old broken record on again. Otherwise this will be another thread that might be locked!

there is also some twitchy preauthorisation fingers around.

hope we can get back to the boats soon, as I am booked for 21st May.

• Like 4

Squeeze this one under the wire. The dept I work for loved the idea of less people around. It meant you could get ahead of routine maintenance. Less wear on the infrastructure. The workforce was solely available for projects and funds was available under emergency legislation. 
Work flow was simple because the public would not be so demanding. 

13 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Personally I have a long time ago now had enough of trying to interpret the Ba's idea on guidelines. Seems to me that yet again they have ideas way above their station, or just putting out statements / ideas because they can do so, full of their own importance

I'm following the governments guidance and therefore I'll be onboard 'B.A' on the 12th April staying overnight for two nights coming home on the 14th 

Griff

Same here, driving down to Mona's Queen, hope you have the kettle on in t wet shed for when we arrive.

• Like 1

As I understand this latest guidance is that "open air" boating is permitted but not in a "covered" boat..... So presumably I can take my boat out as long as I only use the flybridge, but I breach regulations if I go inside....

12 minutes ago, Helian said:

As I understand this latest guidance is that "open air" boating is permitted but not in a "covered" boat..... So presumably I can take my boat out as long as I only use the flybridge, but I breach regulations if I go inside....

I believe that the rule is that you can still go below and use the heads (bog).

23 minutes ago, Helian said:

Just make sure that you travel to your boat in your sports car with the top down...