Day Boats

Andrewcook

12 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Call me a leftie but how quick do people wont to revoke our rights?

Oh yes, until its your rights to do what you want to do then you'll moan!

like say, right of navigation.

very easy to revoke.

rights of access.

hmmm

I dont agree with them, but I agree to their rights of protests.

Something referred to as  time and place'  comes into it.   This is neither the time and London is not the place.

Changing the subject somewhat -  I was just looking at the Oulton Broad web cam and there are a few yachts whizzing about in the breeze today.

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

So what's the difference between Unlawful and illegal then?

Griff

Illegal is normally used to define an act in contravention of criminal law, unlawful means a breach in any situation governed by a set of "laws". This could be a contravention of employment law or some other area of uk law, but could equally mean breaking the laws of rugby, for example deliberately throwing the ball into touch during a rugby match would be "unlawful", but it is not of course "illegal". 

As for the erosion of civil liberties then those liberties come with responsibilities as does the governance of them. In times of exceptional need it is right and proper for government to effect legislation that protects the population as that is the first requirement of government. Just as emergency measures were enacted during war time, so they have been now in another time of need. If these "people" had shown such little respect for the rule of law during war time they would have been very severely dealt with. Now here we are in a situation where close to twice as many UK civilians have died from COVID-19 than were killed in the whole of World War II and yet we suffer these idiots acting directly in contravention of UK law and all safety advice offered. There actions will almost certainly cause extra deaths. I believe I am right in saying these restrictions were put in place following the BLM protests last year to supposedly prevent further similar COVID breaches. If I am mistaken in that I am sure someone will correct me. But there intention is clear. To protect the population and prevent scenes like we saw yesterday.

The problem with this country is not the erosion of civil liberties, but our obsession with the rights of the guilty. These protesters should be shown no tolerance, no accommodation whatsoever. 

I'll stop there, before I tell you what I really think of them, and provoke the attentions of our lovely moderators. 

• Like 10

Hi Paul, Firstly, are you sure you have the "unlawful and illegal" definitions the right way round, I thought one could make an illegal move in a game but not an unlawful one.

The greater problem though is that you have fallen straight into Griffs "Heffalump trap" as I am sure he is itching to point out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Hi Paul, Firstly, are you sure you have the "unlawful and illegal" definitions the right way round

Yes, and cross checked prior to posting.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Heffalump trap

If I remember my Winnie the Pooh a heffalump trap ends up catching only those which set the trap, read into that what you will. 

On a more serious note what dreadful scenes from Bristol last night, the result I'm afraid of not policing the original gatherings effectively. 

• Like 1

Two different things happening here,

One is protest and the up holding of the common good in times national emergency and does the government have the right to suspend your rights. 

The other is the extension of the policing and protest bill.

The first I agree with as long as there is a need. The government are proposing to extend for another 6 months which makes me wonder.

The second is a much more serious thing that could stop you protesting at any time deemed inappropriate by the police or government for something as trivial as being too noisy or an inconvenience to the public.

Say, for instance, they decide to weld shut the swing bridges on the Broads and you decided to stand outside network rail holding a placard. Someone inside sees this, decides your being too noisy or possibly causing an obstruction. The police will have every right to move you on.

The right to peaceable demonstration has effectively been removed.

still you could always write a strongly worded letter

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SwanR said:

To get back to the topic

No change there then Jean! :default_norty:

Looks to be quite a few picnic boats - don't know if they've added more. They normally seem to have the day boats chocked up around the back in winter so they must be getting ready. I reckon they are champing at the bit to get started. Tap into all that pent up demand! Get ready to repel boarders :default_swordpir:

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 08:16, grendel said:

I see the Broads Authorities stance on day boats has been revised-

And now amended to the 29th March.....

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

Self drive day hire

DEFRA has further clarified (as of 22 March) that day hire boat businesses will be permitted to open from 29 March, subject to COVID-19 Secure Guidance and the applicable social contact limits at each step of the roadmap. This supersedes the previous guidance about 'click and collect' only, and is subject to a proposed change in the regulations, which has been laid in Parliament on 22 March.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021 have now been signed and published here on legislation.gov.uk. The regulations will be debated in Parliament on Thursday, 25 March, alongside the 1-year review of the Coronavirus Act, with the Commons debate due to start at 10:30am.

Recreational day hire will therefore be permitted for a single household or bubble (if vessel is enclosed), or for up to 6 people / or any number of people from 2 households per boat (if vessel is open air, provided it is outdoors and social distancing can be maintained between people from different households).

People should continue to minimise travel where possible and avoid travelling at busy times/routes.

If I was up on the broads this year, I'd be giving Wroxham a miss. It's going to be rammed from the start, It's looking more like overseas holidays are going to be shelved until July at the earliest. It will be interesting to see if there is a hike in dayboat prices inline with what we've seen with some cruisers.

I for one will be visiting Wroxham if only to see so many people having fun and enjoying themselves legally.

We've all been locked down for too long to avoid avoid the busy places just because they're "busy", I'm really looking forwards to the hustle and bustle, and if I can't find a mooring, I'll just hot foot it to a broad and mudweight for the night.

Roll on loads of people having a good time in (regarding infection) safety.

14 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I for one will be visiting Wroxham if only to see so many people having fun and enjoying themselves legally.

We've all been locked down for too long to avoid avoid the busy places just because they're "busy", I'm really looking forwards to the hustle and bustle, and if I can't find a mooring, I'll just hot foot it to a broad and mudweight for the night.

Roll on loads of people having a good time in (regarding infection) safety.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it is bursting at the seems, but that's not why I visit the broads. If I wanted mayhem and chaos I'd make my way to Blackpool or Benidorm. Il take the mudweight option and enjoy the peace and quiet and watch the world go by. You enjoy the maddness, cheers. 

• Like 1