Royale Emblem Total Refit

Broads01

I've just read on the Horning Ferry Marina Facebook page Royale Emblem is undergoing a total refit. I was pleased to read this as there's plenty of room in the market for older designs but they do need attention like this from time to time. Richardsons used to do full "gut out and refit" operations years ago but unfortunately stopped doing so when they switched to building new boats instead. 

FB_IMG_1615725038500.jpg

• Like 5

From what I've seen they're not total refits - The windows have stayed in and the bulkheads seem to have been re-faced rather than stripped out. 

The pictures I saw of the last one didn't amaze me. The end result looked like it would date fairly quickly.

It's good to see investment in older boats, though. I'm more than happy with an older boat that has been updated.

• Like 1

According to FB Ferry are refitting or upgrading atleast 4 of the fleet, with Royale receiving the most extensive treatment. So far Emerald and I believe Brilliant have had some refurbishment. Plus a new build Haines 26 to follow I believe.

I have to agree with others that Refits and refurbishment can extend the lives of otherwise tired craft which may have been sold onto private hands. They give hirers more choice, affordable options mostly bridge friendly however with the fixtures and fittings similar to those offered in the increasingly expensive new or recent builds. If you look at some fleets only a handful of these boats remain on hire, they are becoming very rare, the problem being that these designs are no longer being built or replaced with equivalents, once they are gone they are gone!

Having hired a Richardsons refit I can say that they offer many of the benefits of a new build for a fraction of the cost, only problem for yards is that they cost a fair chunk of cash to do properly and because they are less flash to look at they can't get the returns and bookings that a new build may offer.

Neil

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Captain said:

only problem for yards is that they cost a fair chunk of cash to do properly and because they are less flash to look at they can't get the returns and bookings that a new build may offer.

I don't doubt the cost is huge but surely a fraction of what a new build would cost?

With a bit of luck then, Clive will be along at some time to tell us his views on the sort of figures involved!

It will be less but I doubt it will be a fraction of the cost of a new build - I suspect they will be reengined and their labour costs involved may be more given that the quality of the fitout may be just as good as the new ones?

I think we may be surprised to hear what the cost is!

I saw the internal photos of this one on fb and whilst not wishing to be unkind it really was a what the flip moment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but it was a rather strong statement and looked like stripey stair carpet on several walls.... whatever it was it was a bit too much in my mind, which is a shame, as keeping older designs tidy/good value has an appeal, and their simplified more subtle exterior branding is a nice improvement

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I saw the internal photos of this one on fb and whilst not wishing to be unkind it really was a what the flip moment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but it was a rather strong statement and looked like stripey stair carpet on several walls....

I get what they've tried to do, but I just can't see it looking good in five years. I know the Ricko's refits will have cost more, but those still look good after 15 years.

151931277_3628176443886242_1386821014257728714_n.jpg

151943877_3628176427219577_6783507507293613218_n.jpg

152025481_3628176527219567_6894327372215641555_n.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting. It's a former Swancraft. Built in 1986 so its no spring chicken. Its amazing what a bit of panelling and upholstery will do. If they'll go any deeper I don't know. I think windows are always an issue on these older boats and I believe they are expensive to overhaul properly. Trouble is if you don't do it they leak and cause rot and damage the interior. That boat will have quite a few windows. 

As others have said though its a design classic. To me Swan Royale is still the best boat ever and that was the 32 foot version. But let's face it, any investment is always welcome! 

• Like 2

We loved Royale Emblem when we hired her from Ferry Marina back in 2017. She was very comfortable (we hired early May when the weather was a bit changeable), an older craft but very well maintained, and a dream to helm.
My initial reaction on hearing the news of a refit was ‘great’. I have issues with most of the newer boats being built (too high an air-draft), so I think Ferry are wise to upgrade some of these older boats. However, the pictures posted aren’t very encouraging. I prefer the older version, even if the interior was a bit ‘tired’. The rear lounge on the original was just right for a party of 6 on board, very good layout.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but it was a rather strong statement and looked like stripey stair carpet on several walls.... whatever it was it was a bit too much in my mind, which is a shame, as keeping older designs tidy/good value has an appeal, and their simplified more subtle exterior branding is a 

I'm with you on that, think them stripes would give me a headache. We hired viscount from richardson's a couple years after that had a total refit and for me they done a cracking job on that. But fair play to ferry for investing. I noticed all the plastic sheeting on her in one of the pictures, I wonder if she was sprayed instead of being hand painted. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . To me Swan Royale is still the best boat ever and that was the 32 foot version. . . . . . . .

We looked over what was Swan Royale, with a view to purchasing her, before settling for Norfolk Lady.  She had been renamed and in private hands for some time, but would have required far too much fettling to return her to the kind of condition that I would call acceptable.

We also looked at another craft of similar style , albeit the 35ft version, but the condition of that one was even worse, so rejected that one, too.

The Alpha centre cockpit style of craft was certainly very practical and spacious, which I guess is why so many found their way into hire fleets and are still so widely available for hire, despite the design being some 40 years old.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andyg said:

I'm with you on that, think them stripes would give me a headache. We hired viscount from richardson's a couple years after that had a total refit and for me they done a cracking job on that. But fair play to ferry for investing. I noticed all the plastic sheeting on her in one of the pictures, I wonder if she was sprayed instead of being hand painted. 

We hired Viscount from Richardsons in 2017 and agree they have done a cracking job in refitting and modernising it. It was a lovely comfortable boat that handled really well. The refit still looked good after a few years on hire.

Yeah, Viscount was a total refit

There are a few which have been done to that level. Barbados, Capri, Calypso, Escapade are the ones that spring to mind in the late noughties.

And then Melody, Major Gem and various other classes had heavy refits in the mid-noughties.

The thing is, if you look at Viscount now she looks great. I'd hire her no problem. And that was a 2009 refit.

Sure, it will have cost more. But when a set of mouldings can be getting on for £50K, I don't get why more yards don't do deep refits.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Yeah, Viscount was a total refit

There are a few which have been done to that level. Barbados, Capri, Calypso, Escapade are the ones that spring to mind in the late noughties.

And then Melody, Major Gem and various other classes had heavy refits in the mid-noughties.

The thing is, if you look at Viscount now she looks great. I'd hire her no problem. And that was a 2009 refit.

Sure, it will have cost more. But when a set of mouldings can be getting on for £50K, I don't get why more yards don't do deep refits.

I've hired concerto as well, another really good refit, rhapsody was done to the same standard. I'm sure I remember Clive saying they did spend quite a lot on them, but they had been sitting about at Stalham for some time beforehand. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We looked over what was Swan Royale, with a view to purchasing her, before settling for Norfolk Lady.  She had been renamed and in private hands for some time, but would have required far too much fettling to return her to the kind of condition that I would call acceptable.

We also looked at another craft of similar style , albeit the 35ft version, but the condition of that one was even worse, so rejected that one, too.

The Alpha centre cockpit style of craft was certainly very practical and spacious, which I guess is why so many found their way into hire fleets and are still so widely available for hire, despite the design being some 40 years old.

Going off topic somewhat but yes, it was a cracking boat when Swancraft had it but sounds like it's gone downhill since. Even so when the lottery comes up I'd track it down and get Paul to work his magic. 

But to get back on topic they are a very practical design, spacious yet go under the bridges. Another bonus is the way all the space is used to maximum advantage having the forward berth right under the fore deck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyg said:

I've hired concerto as well, another really good refit, rhapsody was done to the same standard. I'm sure I remember Clive saying they did spend quite a lot on them, but they had been sitting about at Stalham for some time beforehand. 

Yeah, I remember the boat graveyard well.  I nearly went through the rotten floor of what is now Escapade!

I tend to forget the bathtubs as i'm really not a fan, but yeah @andyg you're quite right - A lot of those have had major internal works too and the two you mention definitely look really decent inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Love the look of the Richardson refits , this one (to my eyes) not so much , doesn’t seem the type of finish a boat would or should have but then again I’m an old f**t so no surprises there 

Yep that's exactly my thoughts, more somthing you would do to a live aboard boat then hire boat. 

• Like 2