Fishing At St Benet's Abbey.

Some of the finest bream fishing in Broadland is to be had from the St Benet's Abbey area. I note now that it is no longer a day ticket water, annual ticket only (£20.00). Details here showing where you can fish at St Benets. If you intend fishing there on holiday then it would seem prudent to get your tickets before you go. £20.00 for us keen anglers must be the sale of the century!

https://www.ndaa.org.uk/?fbclid=IwAR2HDPGzJJnsTPCi7vSWfgrThBv39BK_Pbs1Ke2bgHN-Gd_KW6PLnLj_AYo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Excuse my stupidness if I am being stupid😣, but does this mean you are meant to have a separate licence should you fish at the moorings beside st bennets?

that's not a silly question I was just about to ask the same thing! I'm thinking the answer is No .......? :default_dunce:

• Like 1

from the map in the link it would appear that even the mooring is Norwich and District Angler's Association private waters, so the answer is yes you need to pay the fee to fish from the moorings (not sure if you need to if fishing from the boat?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wonderwall said:

Excuse my stupidness if I am being stupid😣, but does this mean you are meant to have a separate licence should you fish at the moorings beside st bennets?

You will need your usual fishing license for fishing the Broads but beyond that I can only guess. The map shows that the NDAA now appears to have control of the fishing at the Abbey and their website appears to suggest that the fishing is for their members and I can only guess that it will be for their members only.  If the NDAA has taken control of the fishery there then I suspect that they will need to at least balance their books. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Well if not , I've broken the rules a few times!!!!

My thought is that this will apply to the forthcoming season. Am I not right in thinking that some of the area marked as blue, seemingly now under NDAA control, is part of the BA's 24hr mooring at St Benets?

guess if you are fishing from your boat then you'd be ok unless there are:

1) signs clearly showing the additional annual ticket is required to fish there, and

2) somebody comes round collecting the fee

or 3) ignorance is bliss and you could act :default_dunce:

27 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

My thought is that this will apply to the forthcoming season. Am I not right in thinking that some of the area marked as blue, seemingly now under NDAA control, is part of the BA's 24hr mooring at St Benets?

It does look to me that the moorings are part of the blue area. Surely the area can only belong to one body?

How do you go about buying a stretch of water?, which is owned either side by an authority, ( broads). They could refuse boat access, as in private waters?

I think they are at it.

I do a bit of dabbling myself but nothing serious. I would have thought that if there were a charge to fish at St Bennet's moorings then a proper clear sign would be posted stating the case.

As most hirers usually think they can fish from the moorings as on most 24 hr moorings it would be common sense to inform them with a notice if it was not the case at St Bennet's.

Perhaps somebody from NBA could clarify the situation on this and other Broads websites.   

• Like 1

it also begs the question of anglers giving way to cruisers that wish to moor, as the normal BA signeage usually states that anglers may fish, but need to move if someone wants to moor up at that spot, if the fishers are paying membership to fish there, does this not imply they will not be required to move, suppose you turn up at the mooring and they have an angling match going with anglers set up every 20ft along the mooring, what then?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Hylander said:

£20 for one and all.    I am pretty sure that my Direct Debit that goes out every year for a pensioner is £20.   What benefits do you get for being a pensioner.   I stand to be corrected.

The benefits of being a pensioner are having sore knees, poor balance, more memories, greater dependency on the NHS, having great grandchildren (bonus), perhaps needing pads or even someone to wipe your bum! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

We need our ever reliable Tom to let us know methinks

Griff

The most relevant comment of the debate! 

Angling has long taken second place to boating on the Broads but nevertheless any lose of moorings has to be a concern to us all.

TOM, OVER TO YOU.

I wonder if someone at the NDAA has just been a little over-zealous with the blue marker pen? No doubt Tom will have to refer the issue to the NDAA for clarification so it may be a little while before we hear from him. I hope it’s just a silly error! 😳

• Like 1