Fishing At St Benet's Abbey.

There continues to be a common thread here yet again - lets blame the BA as Lessee!! IMHO what facts there are, don't really bear this out -  can we just not wait before continuing to fling mud around???

Anyone who has been a tenant will know that they are the last person to know and find out what is going on!

And as far as the point made by RS is concerned, I should think that huge tracts of river have been straightened/dug - a vast proportion of the Ant to start with is "new" and most changes where made probably before any formal documentation process ever existed!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

If I understand things correctly it is the tie-rods that have been found to have failed.

Peter, this seems to be information that has only just surfaced. I can’t find anything related to it anywhere else (apart from someone on fb saying they had noticed part of the moorings were sinking). It must have some truth in it as I can’t believe the BA would just close moorings for no good reason. You mentioned a short while ago that the NDAA had been assured by the BA that the barriers would be gone by June 16 at the start of the fishing season, it makes me wonder why they were put up in the first place. If they are removed, will mooring be allowed again? (I know you personally can’t answer that but it would be nice to know.) 
These things that don’t ring true are becoming quite loud alarm bells now, are we to add St Benet’s to Thurne Mouth and Fleet Dyke - it could become a long list if we don’t watch out. ☹️

19 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Why all this Urgument now as the Lease does run out till Two Hundred Twenty Severn and claiming the the unsafe Mooring ? 

Andrew - are you able to look at this link? https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news/update-on-st-benets-abbey-24-hour-mooring

The situation is all a bit of a mess at the moment and not entirely down to the BA although it is the Authority who is going to have to step up and sort something out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, floydraser said:

So what happens to these moorings in 2027 if the BA cannot renew the lease? Are they abandoned or could the land owner have them as private moorings and charge for their use?

Would they be worth more with no leasing agreement in place should the owner decide to sell on? My guess is yes.

Hi Rightsaidfred as to Fishing the Club has got a stretch and pay a fee per year also it's Grazing Land for Cattle or Sheep to Graze the Farmer Pays Rent on that Land  that is very profitable I believe and could hold out for more as to this very Nice Moorings on the stretch of River as I think greed has got something to do with all this I may be Wrong? 

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I meant to add that when the broads were at their busiest back in the late 60s early 70s, there wasn't much at the edge of the rivers other than mud. We all managed somehow!

Our first ever Broads mooring was St Benets in late August 58 after picking the boat up at Hoveton. The bank was hard edged soil with hollows washed out by passing boats. I remember jumping down into one of these hollows and then pulling the boat up to a hard edged part to tie up on rhond anchors.

34 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I meant to add that when the broads were at their busiest back in the late 60s early 70s, there wasn't much at the edge of the rivers other than mud. We all managed somehow!

24 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Agreed but elf & safety wasn't around then or the sue everybody society.

Fred

Yes, the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 was a game changer.

15 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Rightsaidfred as to Fishing the Club has got a stretch and pay a fee per year also it's Grazing Land for Cattle or Sheep to Graze the Farmer Pays Rent on that Land  that is very profitable I believe and could hold out for more as to this very Nice Moorings on the stretch of River as I think greed has got something to do with all this I may be Wrong? 

Depending on the purchase price I doubt fishiing or grazing rights in themselves are highly profitable these days.

Fred

54 minutes ago, floydraser said:

So what happens to these moorings in 2027 if the BA cannot renew the lease? Are they abandoned or could the land owner have them as private moorings and charge for their use?

Once again here is an argument which seems to be, if in doubt, bash the BA.

We don't know who the land owner is or their agenda, but nobody is trying to guess either.

It would be very impractical to calculate repairs which would last just to the end of the lease - 6 years. Any repair could and should last way beyond that. So if I were the land owner what could be a better earner than to get some other mug to build me a nice little money maker in the form of ready made moorings? I wouldn't want the BA to waste my toll money to provide someone else with an income thanks. 

Already seen it with the camping and caravan club where they build a lovely toilet/shower block for the land owner to take the lease back.

• Like 6

On the local waterways to Cambs a lot of moorings are rented by the Ouse Valley River club and are private moorings for their club members only  I can see a similar scheme happening in the future if things don’t change for the better on The Broads .

I must add that a vast majority of these moorings have no key heading or posts and are simply a section of accessible river bank 

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

On the local waterways to Cambs a lot of moorings are rented by the Ouse Valley River club and are private moorings for their club members only  

I didn't know OVRC ran such a scheme. I am a member of both GOBA (Great Ouse Boating Association) and FORTN (Friends Of The River Nene) both of whom run such a scheme for members only. Generally bankside only.

Spent a very enjoyable early September fortnight on Sunquest from Bridge Boats, Ely quite a few years ago.

We managed to reach the head of navigation on the three smaller rivers and Jesus Green lock on the Cam. Didn't make it the last few miles to Bedford as the boat was a couple of inches too wide to pass Cardington lock.

The GOBA moorings were very welcome.

The last mile or so on one of the smaller rivers we were almost touching the reeds on both sides.

Its was unusual to spend you evening in pubs where the main accent you heard was American.