Electricity Cards

Andrewcook

Hi as to purchasing Electricity Card for your Electricity Hook up and how much do they Cost £5 or £10 Each ?  How Long do they last? Where can Purchases them ? Post Office or from  Local shops? As I know Ranworth has a Electrical Post for the Hook Up.  There are others but where are they on the Broads for us to use? . 

Tidings village store at Horning sell them £1 each

I find they last easily during a stay on a 24 hour mooring. I turn the immersion heater of at night and just put it on for an hour or two first thing in the morning, ready for the shower, washing up etc. We have a 240v freezer on board that is left on all the time and that is not  a problem, it runs on the inverter when we are not hooked up to shore power.  

• Like 1

The problem with selling the cards is that outlets are not allowed to get a mark up to cover their expenses paperwork etc Its due to the legislation to prevent rogue landlords over charging their tenants for power An unforeseen consequence yet again that would need parliamentary approval (Note to  MPs to have it included in future legislation)

6 hours ago, Bytheriver said:

The problem with selling the cards is that outlets are not allowed to get a mark up to cover their expenses paperwork etc Its due to the legislation to prevent rogue landlords over charging their tenants for power An unforeseen consequence yet again that would need parliamentary approval (Note to  MPs to have it included in future legislation)

actually I dont think even parliament could alter this one as it is regulated by offgen, under its powers to govern the electrical supply industry.

There’s a list of places with electric posts on the BA website and also a list of places selling the cards, all on one web page...here...

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

We tend to use a low wattage electric radiator overnight during our winter allocations. Mostly we find that putting £1 on the electric point is sufficient, overnight, but not if we run the electric heater during the evening too. 

I've moored at reedham before and found someone had left £2 credit on the post we had plugged into, it was well below zero that night so I had a fan heater running on low as well as immersion still on and it was morning before the power went off, a £1 card does fine for summer nights unless you are daft with power.