Before Tv Became Along

Andrewcook

We were seldom able to get much of a TV signal on the Broads until digital TV came along, so usually didn't bother to switch it on. Certainly never rented one on a boat when you had to pay for them separately.

Since digital TV either has a signal or it doesn't we've not bothered with TV much since.

• Like 2

So when i was a young boy, late 50s early 60s my Dab would never have a tv on the boat saying"we havnt come on holiday to watch telly ,you can do that at home". During inclement weather we played cards, board games, when the weather was fine we went out in the dingy, fished,went for a walk,flew a kite.We knew how to enjoy ourselves back in the day !!:default_biggrin:

• Like 2

In the early years of us having a boat, we had a t.v. on board that  had to be got out, put on the galley  and connected up each time we watched it. It was a bit of a faff so we mostly didn't bother except for special events or programmes. For the last 10 years we had a boat that had a sideboard where the t.v. was permanently sited much like home. Before we had this we spent our evenings playing cards  or listening to music, we were perfectly happy and didn't ,miss t.v. at all.  I've often wondered if this was better than watching t.v. each evening as if we were at home. I rather think it probably was.

Carole

3 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

could we do with out TV for a Week or Two? 

Definitely!! 

More to the point for a lot of people would be can you do without the internet for a week. Never used to have WiFi on a boat or reception all around the Broads!

• Like 1

I guess I go back to the early 70s as a young teenager on the broads. We never bothered with the TV it seemed more agro then it was worth. My sisters and I would go off exploring, climbing trees etc, the annual climb of Ranworth Church was always a highlight. Am I right in thinking you had to hire the TVs back then. Oh and we never got bored that I remember. 

• Like 1

Once again I get the feeling that those who choose to watch TV whilst on their boats are having to defend this pastime lest they are thought of as second class holiday makers. 

When I'm on my boat I may or may not choose to watch TV. It's my bloody choice and it is for me to make it. There may be a hundred and one reasons why someone makes this choice, but not for the first time, we are held in low regard should we turn on the box. Personally I can think of many far more antisocial  activities that some do, questioning the habits of other boaters is only one of them.

17 minutes ago, andyg said:

I guess I go back to the early 70s as a young teenager on the broads. We never bothered with the TV it seemed more agro then it was worth. My sisters and I would go off exploring, climbing trees etc, the annual climb of Ranworth Church was always a highlight. Am I right in thinking you had to hire the TVs back then. Oh and we never got bored that I remember. 

Yes, you did have to hire them.  A tiny black and white portable was about £2.50 per week if I remember correctly.  Trying to get a picture was always a trial, waving the aerial about, standing it on an upturned bucket on the roof of the boat for a picture that came and went as the boat moved with the wind or tide.  Those were the days!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Yes, you did have to hire them.  A tiny black and white portable was about £2.50 per week if I remember correctly.  Trying to get a picture was always a trial, waving the aerial about, standing it on an upturned bucket on the roof of the boat for a picture that came and went as the boat moved with the wind or tide.  Those were the days!!

Exactly why we didn't bother, them rubbish rubber sucker pads as feet. We use to bet on how long it would take for the aerial to fall off the roof and make our parents jump. It never failed to ammuse us, don't think my father shared our enjoyment lol... 

I was about to say that I have never been on a boat with TV, then i thought "cross channel ferries." I have certainly never been on a non-commercial boat with a TV. (or at least definitely on one that had it switched on, I suspect one or two of the hire boats we used as support vessels for the 3RR may have had TV's.) I am on a boat, why would I want one? I go sailing to get away from the mundane and everyday, and that includes TV. Wherever I am, and I am sailing a lot, so long as I have a good boat to enjoy what I'm doing, sociable neighbours when I moor up and a decent place to go ashore for a beer and a bite to eat I have all I need. TV certainly doesn's feature at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, andyg said:

Exactly why we didn't bother, them rubbish rubber sucker pads as feet. We use to bet on how long it would take for the aerial to fall off the roof and make our parents jump. It never failed to ammuse us, don't think my father shared our enjoyment lol... 

Or, you’d stand outside waving the  aerial about, with the tv on and your dad would call out ‘that’s it, there.  Don’t move!!’ and you’d be holding the ruddy thing above your head with no means to not move.  So you’d try to put it down, still facing the same direction and the next thing would be your dad shouting out ‘what have you done, it was perfect before!!’

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Or, you’d stand outside waving the  aerial about, with the tv on and your dad would call out ‘that’s it, there.  Don’t move!!’ and you’d be holding the ruddy thing above your head with no means to not move.  So you’d try to put it down, still facing the same direction and the next thing would be your dad shouting out ‘what have you done, it was perfect before!!’

Exactly my memories!  I miss those days with mum, dad and my brother together .  Very, very happy and special times