A Year On From Lockdown One.

Today marks one year from the country going  into our first lockdown.Its also my birthday.Aside from birthday cards I received  a series of texts from the government, advising me to shield. A year I and most people  won't  forget and one we hope not to see again.Up until last March I was working,with few problems, managing my COPD.Then late June I started to feel unwell.October into hospital for my Operation On my lung.Thankfully my Cancer was caught early,it could have been far more serious. Then shingles, now week 19.Not all gloom.So many have stepped up to help others.The care many Doctors, nurses, care and support workers is truly inspiring. Those that developed the vaccine. Those that have volunteered. Now I'm  66,work will be done on the front of our house, then on the market and hopefully moving  to Norfolk or Suffolk. My thoughts go to all those that have sadly died and those still suffering from the affects of Covid.Think and hope we are slowly  turning a corner.

• Like 4

Yes, Happy birthday Ian.

I agree with Jean, it's not only too early to be looking back, it can be confusing.

I've not been concentrating on the TV, but it's on while I'm doing my bits and pieces. I've pricked up my ears to hear  about Europe starting a third Covid wave, then very shortly after they showed a year old recording of the PM telling everyone to "stay at home". These things need full separation to avoid confusion!

20 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . We’re not out of this yet. 

And never will be.  The virus is not going away.  The best we can hope for is that it can be controlled with vaccinations and our ability to develop an immunity to it over the coming years.  Like it or not, living with Covid will be like living with ‘flu and it will cause additional deaths and hospitalisation for many.

What is for sure is that it has been a contentious subject for discussion on here and social media.  The feeling of alienation generated by some has been hard to take.  Arguments about interpretation of the rules have been rife.  This has brought out the best and worst in people across the country from the dedication of the front line and key workers to the greed of those who raped the shops and supermarkets at the start of the pandemic, leaving empty shelves, to ensure they were okay.

It has cost many their lives.  It has cost many their jobs, their livelihoods and their self respect.  It has caused depression, that has so often been ignored.  It has created heroes, like Captain Sir Tom and villains, like the CEO of a well known chain of pubs that made all his staff redundant.  It has wasted a year of our lives, that we will never get back.

Let’s all hope that the measures that are in place will ensure that there are no further lockdowns and that we can get back to a ‘new’ normal, whatever that may be.  I don’t care if I have to wear a mask ongoing, or that I can’t take a foreign holiday.  I want to live my life, see my family and do the best I can to enjoy whatever time I have left on this planet.

And, by the way Ian, many happy returns of the day!!  I trust you will have a good one!!

• Like 7

"the new normal" is a phrase that many dread but every day is the new normal and always has been, to many of us the new normal is mobile phones and internet, to some it's a change of shift pattern or lack of local pub, we still have folk alive that lived without electric at all.

Let's carry on as we always have done, it's only scary because people keep banging on about how different it will be of social media and the likes, we are already used to massive changes.

Oh yeah and happy birthday Ian, no candles please it'll be a fire hazard....

• Like 2

Ahh, yes, the "New Normal". What will that be like?

Before everybody over the age of 50 scuttles back into hiding, think on.

Throughout this pandemic, as Mouldy points out, we have seen both the best and the worst of people, indeed one of our own members took quite a lot of flack for doing some bulk buying.

However, I think the people who showed their best, way outnumbered those who left something to be desired, further I think, no believe that those found wanting have very probably learned something from the heroes, I know I have.

So, how about this "new normal" being a significant improvement on the old one, perhaps being just a little more thoughtful towards others. The vast majority of us see that we need other people, and that society isn't all "me me me".

Yes, I might be looking at things through rose tinted glasses, but if just a smidgen of that thoughtfulness shown over the last year rubs off on just a few who needed it, then I look forwards to this "new normal"  

• Like 2

Wishing you a very happy birthday Ian. :594c04f570582_default_happyparty:

Like many who have already posted, I feel that it is much too early to be looking back on this. There could well be many twists in the tale before we come out of the other side, if we ever do. The vaccines are a great weapon in our arsenal. but never underestimate the ability of this virus to mutate into something that the current vaccines won't touch.  My suspicion is that, over time, we will end up with something like the 'flu' vaccine programme, with the WHO taking global responsibility for surveillance and prediction of which virus strains to include in an annual booster. Until then, international travel will be a very risky venture.  What we still need is some really "game-changing" medicines with which to treat those who contract the disease and I suspect we are around 2 years away from having these. 

• Like 1

I am looking forward to helping the economy as much as I can, a bit of retail therapy in other than essential shops will be very welcome. :default_rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see what the ‘new norm’ develops into. We (or those of us who followed the rules) have been rather cocooned in our own worlds for most of the last year. Especially those advised to shield from day one. I think a lot of people will be wary of venturing forth whilst others will no doubt be acting in the same way they always did. I for one will be behaving in a cautious manner, probably that will be my new norm!  
I did read that the nhs (or carer) lass who appeared in the news last year because she was unable to buy food after coming off a long shift, has decided to quit her job. That’s sad and I wonder how many others will decide the last 12 months have been too much for them. The pandemic has brought out the best and the worst in people everywhere but I hope there are still the likes of Sir Tom somewhere. 

Happy Birthday Ian, I hope this year provides all the joy and pleasure that last year took away. Just duck when you get to Ludham Bridge please! :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SteveO said:

What we still need is some really "game-changing" medicines with which to treat those who contract the disease and I suspect we are around 2 years away from having these. 

Steve, there's still the possibility that the virus could mutate in such a way that it will render itself ineffective at transmission. I watched an epidemiologist or was it a virologist? (who would have imagined these words would have entered the vocabulary of the average man (and woman) on the street ) on TV, a couple of weeks ago. She told how in order to "escape the vaccine", it could mutate in such a way that it can no longer bind to the spike protein (there I go again - we're all experts now!). This apparently, was how Sars (1) eventually burned itself out. Very interesting. 

• Like 2

A big thank you for your kind birthday wishes, yesterday. Yes different my second  birthday  in lockdown.Some nice presents (see photos).We had builders starting work on our outside bay window and surrounds on our bedroom windows. Take away ,cake and a few beers.So not a bad day at all.

20210324_091716.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Steve, there's still the possibility that the virus could mutate in such a way that it will render itself ineffective at transmission. I watched an epidemiologist or was it a virologist? (who would have imagined these words would have entered the vocabulary of the average man (and woman) on the street ) on TV, a couple of weeks ago. She told how in order to "escape the vaccine", it could mutate in such a way that it can no longer bind to the spike protein (there I go again - we're all experts now!). This apparently, was how Sars (1) eventually burned itself out. Very interesting. 

Yes, that is a possibility but Sars 1 was never as infective as Covid,  I was in Japan when that was doing the rounds and the only precaution I saw during my whole trip was passenger temperature monitoring at the airport. Let's hope it pans out that way though.

My youngest son Mike dropped off some food on his way home yesterday from work. He was told that Lucas my grandson aged 5 has been tested positive for Covid, he has been off school for about a week after  two teachers failed Covid tests, the children were sent home. Needless to say my other son who is still off work until restrictions are lifted on the 12th April. My daughter in law is now in isolation, her younger sister and Mike who both both came into contact with Lucas over the weekend, I didn't come in contact with Lucas but being Mike lives at home time will tell. My Goddaughter still has not fully got her taste or sense of smell back some 8 months after testing positive.

We still have a long way to go with regards to Covid so keep safe out there.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2