Jab Certificate In Pubs?

ES2

I note that The Boris has suggested we have a Jab Certificate to go in pubs.

Since it has been said that despite having the jab, which I have had anyway, vaccinated people can still spread the virus, is not the Medical Profession overstretched already without having the faff of completing certificates and also the cost to the NHS be unnecessary?

What does the team think?

Point taken, but how are we to know which pub is going to insist on a certificate?

Personally, if they can be issued,  I do not intend to get one, if I am refused entry no problem, I will just take my custom elsware, possibly the supermarket.

• Like 1

It is my belief that pub landlords should be able to choose whatever he wants in his customers. Sadly these days that is a freedom lost to them.

It should be his/her choice as to jabs, dogs and yes, even smoking.

@ES2 , I would have to suggest to you that reconsider your standpoint. For every customer lost to a landlord for insisting on a "Jabbed only" policy, he could gain several others who like the policy as it makes them feel safer. Just a thought!

Further, the manpower necessary to produce such a certificate would be pretty minimal.

• Like 2

Going forward I think there needs to be a decision about vaccine passports or cards, call it what you will.Last week the CEO of one of the cruise companies said they would  require two jabs or a Doctors letter before  boarding. Some employers may require them.Theres some decision about NHS and care staff. And what about those that for medical reasons can't have the jab.

I just don't see this (or several other aspects) as joined up thinking.  People don't seem to understand that, just because you have had the jab, it only protects YOU but not anyone else!  You only have to touch a surface in a supermarket and you are just as much of a potential spreader as you always were!

Or is this some bizarre Health and Safety risk aversion on the part of the pub companies?  So long as you have a paper to prove a vaccination, then if you catch Covid in their pub, it can't be the pub's fault.  Maybe that's it?

1 hour ago, grendel said:

by certificate do they mean the card with the dates of your jabs recorded on it, as everyone who has had a jab will already have one of those.

There has been a spate of these (un filled) paper cards being sold on Facebook marketplace, Ebay etc. Also there are 'How To' videos doing the rounds on YouTube showing how to create them on photoshop etc.

The adverts selling them seem to get removed as fast as they spring up but I'm guessing some get out and into the wrong hands.

I fear that if there are to be Covid passports it will need to be something more official than a paper business card with a couple of dates hand written on them .

• Like 1

I just find it a sad state of affairs when people feel the need to forge the record of covid jabs, when they could as easily get the real thing by having the jab, the only real loser in this case is the person who hasnt had the jab, when they do catch covid, they may pass it to others, but if those others have had the jab they will have a greater degree of protection.

for the cruise ship scenario, I would think those that are unable to have the jab for valid medical reason would be able to show a doctors letter stating such.

• Like 3

I do believe it would be unfair to those of us who are way down the vaccination list to suddenly introduce the need to have had the vaccine to go in pubs. It could well be July time before I have my first jab. That would be over three months of not being able to go to a pub purely based on my age and good health, and not being under aged for once either :default_laugh:

He was asked what about children and those that for medical  reasons can't have the jab.He just repeated that those with two jabs be allowed  on.By the way he is the CEO of P&O.

Its my guess if some sort of proof happens it will be the likes of a official pocket sized card.

Even with the jab,jabs care still needs to be taken.Some expects have suggested that hands face and space should  continue  for the next few years to keep on top of this.

So some people hated the idea of Identity cards.

Might as well have them now and be required to carry them.

One card holds your id barometric details, drive license and vaccination.

£100 fine if you cant produce it.

Are we a free country or just a controlled country pretending to be one? 

3 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

So some people hated the idea of Identity cards.

Might as well have them now and be required to carry them.

One card holds your id barometric details, drive license and vaccination.

£100 fine if you cant produce it.

Are we a free country or just a controlled country pretending to be one? 

Yep - and if you do have a valid reason not to have had the jab, that'd be on there too. Not sure about the fine idea, but in principle I've agreed with an ID card for years ( having carried one for all my adult life so far )

As Cal says if you introduce it now its unfair on those down the priority list for the jab. I think P & O have introduced it temporarily to get their ships sailing. If the effectiveness of the jab that has been seen in the age groups vaccinated so far is repeated on the community as a whole once roll out is complete, I suspect the clamour for vaccination passports to access UK premises may wain. I suspect that's why Boris says its down to the landlord, some may introduce it whilst the vaccine roll out is ongoing, but its a lot easier for them to reverse it rather than government, once the roll out is complete. I think we will see it internationally for some time as world vaccination rates catch up.

as long as they dont insist it be an app on your phone. quite often i dont take my phone with me everywhere i go (i know shock horror), normally when I went to bed it would stay downstairs (though it does come up now as i need it to log on for work)

worse still as far as phones go i am a luddite with an old brick of a phone that only does calls and texts.

they will have to understand that not everyone wants or needs  smart phone, my parents certainly wouldnt know how to use one, they can barely use the non smart mobile they have, preferring the old BT phone when making calls.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, grendel said:

as long as they dont insist it be an app on your phone.

I think landlords know their customers. Trendy city bar - expect an app on your phone. The sort of pub you & I drink in expect a nod from the landlady as you walk in. After all you did tell her you were going for your jab.

Or.... Mention "no jab no pint" and faceache comes alive and half of the morons who think they know better go into panic and have the jab as they never really believed the crap they were spreading anyway, a no outlay way of boosting vaccine take up.

Stupid can't be trained but it can be coerced, my dog will sit and wait for a biscuit but she won't do it to avoid a 2 ton vehicle hurtling at her....

The NHS is already geared up to issue vaccine certificates. Any adult planning to travel overseas in the next 18 months should anticipate being required to show one at international borders for most countries. No certificate, no entry. 

As for pubs I don't see it happening, though I would not completely write it off, and would fully support it if it meant getting back to some closer resemblance of normality sooner. 

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

People don't seem to understand that, just because you have had the jab, it only protects YOU but not anyone else!  

Recent data is saying that, as the vaccine prevents you from getting a serious dose of covid, so it also reduces the transmission possibilities. All to do with ‘viral load’. Makes sense to me - I think! 🤔