Identity Cards

On another thread, Identity cards were mentioned. Personally I have no objection to the concept but it had me wondering how many were against them, and how many for.

It would also be interesting to read the views of what information should be on them in a concealed format, and what should be open for anyone to see.

We have driving licences with a certain amount of personal information on already. Personally I don’t see any problem with identity cards, in fact they could be useful. Being a law abiding citizen, I don’t worry very much about big brother keeping an eye on me and my loved ones safety. 

• Like 7

Ok by me. Just another bit of plastic in my wallet. I already can be identified with my driving license and bus pass but not everyone has or needs a driving licence or is over 65 for a bus pass. 
I do think that they should have done this years ago. It will be interesting just how much information and what you will have to produce to get one.

The format of bank card size with picture, address and age plus contactless chip is probably the way it would go. This could be useful at election times as well. 
The fingerprint readers would have to be more accurate than the current ones used on phones or tablets.

Lets. Hope that should the gov spend billions on this they get it right.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Strangely enough I already have an ID card. I was born not long after WW2 and it appears that even children had to have an ID card then.

Whilst clearing out my deceased parents' house a few years ago I found a box of all sorts of old papers. Amazingly in it I found an official ID card with my name on it so I supposed all relics of the Stone Age must have had one at some time.

I will see if I can find it later on and put a copy on here, obviously with my name obscured for security purposes.

As a lover of living in a free country I am fine with having an ID card but not in favour of being made to carry it and being fined for not doing so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ES2 said:

As a lover of living in a free country I am fine with having an ID card but not in favour of being made to carry it and being fined for not doing so.

I'm in total agreement with that. I would want to carry it for my convenience not someone else's. but if such a card were to exist, I would want it to to be inclusive of being a driving licence, bus pass, and possibly passport too if that could be worked. It would need to have some considerable level of security installed as well.

My only objection would be that if some extremist political party ever came to power, it could be dangerous to have one. 

• Love 1

I know its tricky with the subject in question, but we should try and avoid politics on this.

I see good points and bad points, my mother for example, she is in her 90's, she doesnt have a driving licence, her passport expired years back, and her name isnt on the household bills, she struggles when asked to identify herself as all she has is a bus pass (not considered a valid form of ID, but it would need to be a card she can carry in her purse, as she has no idea how to use a mobile phone, let alone a smart phone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

I know its tricky with the subject in question, but we should try and avoid politics on this.

I see good points and bad points, my mother for example, she is in her 90's, she doesnt have a driving licence, her passport expired years back, and her name isnt on the household bills, she struggles when asked to identify herself as all she has is a bus pass (not considered a valid form of ID, but it would need to be a card she can carry in her purse, as she has no idea how to use a mobile phone, let alone a smart phone.

A very valid point Grendel. As long as we are not forced to carry one on the streets I see no problem with having one.

7 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Don't worry about cards, the Covid vaccination contains a tiny chip

Oh please dont, enough idiots out there already believe this without such a reputable site such as us repeating it - even in jest.

i can just see the headlines, NBN site says chips in vaccine so it must be true.  heaven forbid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

Oh please dont, enough idiots out there already believe this without such a reputable site such as us repeating it - even in jest.

i can just see the headlines, NBN site says chips in vaccine so it must be true.  heaven forbid.

Sorry. I have never seen it anywhere, it just came from my own sense of humour. By all means remove it, I'll not take offence.

• Haha 1

The reality is we are all giving up loads of information, data, about our daily movements spending habits etc etc and most are totally oblivious to it. So carrying an I'd card is the least of our worries, I would be more then happy to carrying an I'd card. As an ex member of the armed forces I'm use to it. With today's technology I'm sure a smart I'd card on your phone isn't beyond doable. I'm pretty sure the police use some sort of PDA system so checking I'd cards isn't a problem. The vast majority of ppl use fb, amazon, YouTube etc etc. So no argument their about data being shared as the for mentioned are already doing it. Lastly and more importantly it would save the police thousands of hours trying to identify those who refuse to give their personal details. 

• Like 1

I’m in favour of carrying an ID card.  If you’ve nothing to hide, what’s the problem?  As has already been said, there are already so many methods by which personal data is collected, an ID card really is not much more.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’m in favour of carrying an ID card.  If you’ve nothing to hide, what’s the problem?  As has already been said, there are already so many methods by which personal data is collected, an ID card really is not much more.  

Spot on.. 

I have been accused several times of having a drug dealer phone, so had to look up what they meant, apparently it doesnt have enough technology installed to be trackable.

it then leads me to question how the person that told me that knew it was a drug dealer phone?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

it is with my phone, and my mother doesnt even own a mobile, my dad has one, but i believe its an old nokia.

Granted there would be many who don't own a smart phone, an option for those ppl could be some kind of smart card issued at a post office or such like. Its definitely doable and may exempt ppl over a certain age.