Identity Cards

Here is my ID card. issued not long after Herr Schicklegruber messed up the World. I have obscured the relevant information for security reasons. 

Sorry about the delay, I did not realise that my fairly new computer was not programmed for my printer/scanner. As usual, there were the usual glitches such as "usb not connected" messages etc. Now it is behaving itself.

ID Card front cover..jpg

ID .jpg

36 minutes ago, andyg said:

Granted there would be many who don't own a smart phone, an option for those ppl could be some kind of smart card issued at a post office or such like. Its definitely doable and may exempt ppl over a certain age. 

that would be difficult for my mother to get to the post office, plus she has no formal means of identifying herself if she did get there.

I also have a mobile that is totally devoid of anything remotely techie. It is not a museum piece on the contrary it's only about a year old having been  bought to replace the "smart" phone that nearly drove me nuts! I saw it advertised for non techies such as me and it's perfect. I have  set it up to be answered via a flip action,  perfect for Tony for the (fortunately!) rare occasions he touches it at all.  He would unfailingly press the wrong button and cut the caller off . It performs all the functions I require from it and is so simple that I didn't even have to read the instructions before using it!

Carole

I too have a plain simple mobile phone. If it gets stolen or dropped in the river it is no great loss I think I paid about £30 for it a couple of years ago. The only thing is its not trackable and my breakdown people, Green Flag , like that feature.

Also it is PAYG and the sim card can be zapped and a new one with the same number supplied by the mobile providers. I can zap it from my computer or anybody else's computer too. 

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I’m in favour of carrying an ID card.  If you’ve nothing to hide, what’s the problem?  As has already been said, there are already so many methods by which personal data is collected, an ID card really is not much more.  

Do you have curtains or blinds at home? If you have why? You have nothing to hide

3 hours ago, ES2 said:

Here is my ID card. issued not long after Herr Schicklegruber messed up the World. I have obscured the relevant information for security reasons. 

Sorry about the delay, I did not realise that my fairly new computer was not programmed for my printer/scanner. As usual, there were the usual glitches such as "usb not connected" messages etc. Now it is behaving itself.

ID Card front cover..jpg

ID .jpg

If you have filled in your Census form this week, I think the information we have had to provide is far more comprehensive and intrusive than Herr Schicklegruber, the nasty little Austrian painter and decorator ever managed to achieve. However I don't consider this could lead to such disastrous results, but could prevent a third wave and preserve life. We have to have so much ID these days, what with NI numbers, driving license, security cards for most major office buildings etc etc. One comprehensive ID card, I can't see as a real problem.

4 hours ago, grendel said:

that would be difficult for my mother to get to the post office, plus she has no formal means of identifying herself if she did get there

Like I said ppl of a certain age that may be confined to their homes or have limited mobility could be exempt. As for identification even a council tax bill is excepted in many cases now days. 

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

Don't worry about cards, the Covid vaccination contains a tiny chip....:default_coat:

Or a tiny submarine with a tiny Donald Pleasance on board. If you start saying, "I can see, I can see perfectly." then fall over, you'll know why. :default_hiding:

Can I have one with Raquel Welch, pretty please?

3 minutes ago, andyg said:

Like I said ppl of a certain age that may be confined to their homes or have limited mobility could be exempt. As for identification even a council tax bill is excepted in many cases now days. 

all she has in her name is a bus pass, everything else is in my fathers name, it has caused ID issues in the past

35 minutes ago, PaulN said:

If you have filled in your Census form this week, I think the information we have had to provide is far more comprehensive and intrusive than Herr Schicklegruber, the nasty little Austrian painter and decorator ever managed to achieve. However I don't consider this could lead to such disastrous results, but could prevent a third wave and preserve life. We have to have so much ID these days, what with NI numbers, driving license, security cards for most major office buildings etc etc. One comprehensive ID card, I can't see as a real problem.

Well said PN. There is so much CCTV, Mobile phone information, car number plate recognition, ATM information, computer information with those little cookies which we all press and agree. And that is what we know, or should I say what we think we know.

But do you know what, I don't give a hoot. I got caught for speeding once, no I tell a porky, twice. 

Once a month my parents and I used to visit Aunty Ivy and Uncle George in Lowestoft. They used to go the Marquise of Lorne. Uncle George used to let me look at his naughty magazine collection. In todays terms it was very tame stuff (we are talking 1956) 

I can also remember collecting birds eggs.....not very proud of that. Stopped at a very early age, about 12 or thirteen.

So I have to say I would welcome an identity card. Nothing to hide really. Could well be a benefit with regard to name, address, medical issues, medication in the event of being in distress. A bit of a non entity really. I cannot fathom why anybody would be interested in me in any respect whatsoever. 

• Like 2

Yes now but what about a future government?

Ive got a government ID anyway but you give a little now but to what end?

freedoms listed above are optional but once you agree to carry an id backed by fines. The law of unintended consequences applies. 
No one saw the pandemic coming so who can call the future?

3 hours ago, PaulN said:

As I said before, I am not against identity cards but the compulsion to carry one or be fined is what I object to. My driving license is a primary identity card and I am quite happy with that but there is no compulsion to carry it when driving. The only compulsion is to have to produce it at a police station if stopped by the police whilst driving.

We live in a free country, lets keep it that way.

• Like 2

We all seem to be getting a bit agitated about something that was proposed and dismissed some years ago. I don't recall any recent suggestions that identity cards will be introduced. Even a vaccine passport is only a suggestion, not a proposal.

An identity card and a vaccine passport are very different things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

We all seem to be getting a bit agitated about something that was proposed and dismissed some years ago. I don't recall any recent suggestions that identity cards will be introduced. Even a vaccine passport is only a suggestion, not a proposal.

An identity card and a vaccine passport are very different things.

Agreed PS, but I started this thread to get some views, as I felt asking the question on the original thread was a drift too far.

I think there have been some interesting points raised, and generally I have been surprised how few have been against the concept.

• Like 1

I suppose the real question is whether carrying an identity card would obviate the need for two forms of identity when (for example) renewing a passport, or obtaining a driving licence, or at the bank when withdrawing large amounts, if an id card can be stolen or forged I would see the current practice of two forms of identity continuing, which effectively negates the purpose of the identity card.

37 minutes ago, grendel said:

I suppose the real question is whether carrying an identity card would obviate the need for two forms of identity when (for example) renewing a passport, or obtaining a driving licence, or at the bank when withdrawing large amounts, if an id card can be stolen or forged I would see the current practice of two forms of identity continuing, which effectively negates the purpose of the identity card.

Rather than your mothers maiden name & your inside leg :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, grendel said:

Come off it Grendel, you're a computer man. The answer to that problem is simple. We need to have two identity cards.

Well, you all have an ID card number already issued..

Why?

Because the National Health number everyone has, is a continuation of the 1939 ID number scheme.. (though they changed the format in 1996)