***** F1 Spoiler *****

8 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Well what’s are thoughts on the qualifying Sprint race …???

Mixed feelings at the moment tbh, as said above, great for those with the weekend passes as it provides extra entertainment which is part of the business plan but other than the extra race on the Saturday I see no other benefits. I imagine the head off Red Bull would not be happy if the guys had had to rebuild Perez`s car overnight.

I'm firmly in the unwanted gimmick camp, I can't stand it. Formula One should be the ultimate motor sport challenge, about who can get from the green light to the checkered flag fastest on Sunday afternoon. Sadly the powers that be are hell bent on dumbing it down in order to appeal to those part time fans who think that cars lapping tracks at incredible speed is not exciting enough.

And so we get rules on tyres, how any sets for a weekend, using different compounds during the race, forcing cars to start on the set they produce their fastest laps in Q2, even F1 bosses telling Pirelli how much grip and how long tyres should last. .... it is all Daffodils. 

For me F1 should be one hour of qualifying on Saturday, fastest lap starts at the front, slowest at the back. Use what compound of tyres you want. None of this stupid knock out then reset and go again, and certainly no sprint races. 

• Like 3

Coming down to the different compounds of tyres... That’s always going to be tricky one .. How they are going to wear on each individual car.. Also the track surface and temperature plays a massive part.. 

Im always for change especially in F1 ... It needs to move on and attract new fans if not it will just be the same ole every meeting.. If they change others like Gp2 and Gp3 will follow suit.. 

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well one thing for sure is that "that incident" is going to spark debate within racing fans!

Well I’m absolutely disgusted… Not just because of the race.. More on that Tomorrow..

But I will comment on the one minute applause For Our wonderful NHS frontline workers..

How dare Hamilton stand there holding his umbrella and not Applaud  while all the others on the grid was clapping.. Total Disgust and disrespect to our NHS.. 🤬🤬😡🤬😡

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

I enjoyed the interview with Max. What a lovely honest down to earth young man. Shame Lewis doesn’t take a few lessons from him.  

Hopefully Hamilton won't be learning from Saint Max on calling someone a retard and a mongol. The mongol comment has been uttered on two separate occasions. Such a nice man, much like his father. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twowrights said:

Hopefully Hamilton won't be learning from Saint Max on calling someone a retard and a mongol. The mongol comment has been uttered on two separate occasions. Such a nice man, much like his father. 

At least Max and the other drivers applauded the NHS … Perhaps Hamilton should take a leaf out there book and have some Respect… !!!

• Sad 1

He should have put the umbrella down instead of clapping his palm against the back of his other hand, if he watches it back he may realize and regret that. The two things I don't like about team principles are their faces, given a reversal of the situation they'd swap hymn sheets faster than a tyre change! :default_icon_e_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't see the start of the race yesterday, being on holiday the family were not going to let me stay in and watch the TV, fair enough. I saw the restart while we were stopped at Fritton and the last twenty or so laps at the Three Horseshoes once we arrived. I have played back the accident and in line with a number of other penalties I have to wonder what the stewards are seeing. F1 is supposedly sporting a mantra of let them race yet we have seen a number of highly dubious penalties in the recent few grands prix effecting a number of different drivers. Rather than let them race the policy being applied by the stewards is much as it is by the police on road collisions, there must be someone at fault and someone must pay a penalty. It is ruining the racing. The reason for the penalty according to the stewards was that Lewis "was not ahead" entering the corner and not taking a line to the apex, as in the tightest line around the corner. It seemed to take no account of the width of the track and the several car widths of space left to Verstappen. TV replays clearly show Hamilton was ahead at one point approaching the corner, being on the inside he naturally has to brake earlier to make the corner so the "was not ahead" line is a total joke to me, have the stewards not heard of overtaking? Have they not heard of the technical regulation that they should be enforcing, there is a clear regulation and that is something that is black and white on paper… that if the front axle is over the middle of the car on the outside, it's your corner. Why did the stewards not abide by this rule?

The clear fact here, to me at least, is that Max expected Lewis to back out, he usually does. By his own admission he usually plays "the long game" but he cannot afford to any longer. The Red Bull is clearly a much faster car and Hamilton will know he has to take every chance he gets if he is to compete this year. Both drivers wanted the same bit of tarmac and neither was willing to give way. Karun Chandhok summed it up perfectly for me, either driver could have avoided the incident but neither was obliged to, the result is a racing incident. Ultimately Hamilton continued his line through the corner, Verstappen tightened his which caused the collision. And as for Christian Horner's comments the word that comes to mind is hypocrite. I like Christian Horner. I like the access he gives TV to the Red Bull team, not something you get in many garages but wind back one week and he was bleating about a penalty for Perez on what was a much clearer offence and bemoaning the stewards for not letting the drivers race, not the boot is on the other foot he seems to be showing us a different face. You can't have it both ways Christian.

15 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

I enjoyed the interview with Max. What a lovely honest down to earth young man. Shame Lewis doesn’t take a few lessons from him.  

Unfortunately you are forming your opinions from one interview when Max was very cleverly playing the injured innocent, a role he plays very well. If you want to form a real opinion, and especially express that opinion you need to review a wider set of examples. Perhaps start with his FP2 radio rant at Portimao last season when a string of obscenities and insults were heard live by millions, and his numerous refusals to apologise when asked to by his team, his management and even F1 bosses. Max is nothing like an honest down to earth young man, such an animal does not exist in formula 1, motor sport chews such people up and spits them out long before they reach F1. If you want nice, honest young men go watch tennis or golf, except you will find exactly the same there. Watch John McEnroes excellent video on the BBC sport website about "popularity contests". It will put you straight on success in sport. 

3 hours ago, twowrights said:

He should have put the umbrella down instead of clapping his palm against the back of his other hand

So I am confused, several people are saying he didn't applaud, yet this post suggests he did. Having not seen it perhaps someone could clarify. Sadly this part of the race build up is not available on the F1 highlights page.

Sadly criticism of Lewis Hamilton is something we have come to expect, be it down to his success, we British hate success, be it his personal beliefs, his colour, or even his background as a council tennant kid.

People are quick to hammer him (pun completely intended) yet are very quick to forget the support that Lewis Hamilton has given the NHS, the race suits auction for NHS charities, the video messages of support and the donations directly to NHS projects. His patronage of Great Ormond Street Hospital, his work to support under privileged children both in the UK and around the world. No, they forget all that, they decide they don't like the way he was clapping the NHS and so they disengage their brains and start spouting bull#### about the man. Maybe they think it makes them look or sound big. Sadly it just makes them look bitter and ignorant.

It's a shame that in all the comments made so far nobody has deemed it worthy to decry the racist abuse that Lewis Hamilton has received since the end of the British GP. I for one will, this kind of hate speech has no place in sport, no place in the society I want to live in. If it is a part of your world then please leave it there. Right minded decent folk don't want it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Very well said.I make no apology for my support  of Lewis.In my opinion  it was 50 50,and I would  suggest it was a racing incident. Red bull were to use a football term,surrounding the ref,to get a player a red card.So Lewis got a 10 second  penalty worked with it and  won the  race.I like many hope Max is okay and look forward  to the next race. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

I didn't see the start of the race yesterday, being on holiday the family were not going to let me stay in and watch the TV, fair enough. I saw the restart while we were stopped at Fritton and the last twenty or so laps at the Three Horseshoes once we arrived. I have played back the accident and in line with a number of other penalties I have to wonder what the stewards are seeing. F1 is supposedly sporting a mantra of let them race yet we have seen a number of highly dubious penalties in the recent few grands prix effecting a number of different drivers. Rather than let them race the policy being applied by the stewards is much as it is by the police on road collisions, there must be someone at fault and someone must pay a penalty. It is ruining the racing. The reason for the penalty according to the stewards was that Lewis "was not ahead" entering the corner and not taking a line to the apex, as in the tightest line around the corner. It seemed to take no account of the width of the track and the several car widths of space left to Verstappen. TV replays clearly show Hamilton was ahead at one point approaching the corner, being on the inside he naturally has to brake earlier to make the corner so the "was not ahead" line is a total joke to me, have the stewards not heard of overtaking? Have they not heard of the technical regulation that they should be enforcing, there is a clear regulation and that is something that is black and white on paper… that if the front axle is over the middle of the car on the outside, it's your corner. Why did the stewards not abide by this rule?

The clear fact here, to me at least, is that Max expected Lewis to back out, he usually does. By his own admission he usually plays "the long game" but he cannot afford to any longer. The Red Bull is clearly a much faster car and Hamilton will know he has to take every chance he gets if he is to compete this year. Both drivers wanted the same bit of tarmac and neither was willing to give way. Karun Chandhok summed it up perfectly for me, either driver could have avoided the incident but neither was obliged to, the result is a racing incident. Ultimately Hamilton continued his line through the corner, Verstappen tightened his which caused the collision. And as for Christian Horner's comments the word that comes to mind is hypocrite. I like Christian Horner. I like the access he gives TV to the Red Bull team, not something you get in many garages but wind back one week and he was bleating about a penalty for Perez on what was a much clearer offence and bemoaning the stewards for not letting the drivers race, not the boot is on the other foot he seems to be showing us a different face. You can't have it both ways Christian.

Unfortunately you are forming your opinions from one interview when Max was very cleverly playing the injured innocent, a role he plays very well. If you want to form a real opinion, and especially express that opinion you need to review a wider set of examples. Perhaps start with his FP2 radio rant at Portimao last season when a string of obscenities and insults were heard live by millions, and his numerous refusals to apologise when asked to by his team, his management and even F1 bosses. Max is nothing like an honest down to earth young man, such an animal does not exist in formula 1, motor sport chews such people up and spits them out long before they reach F1. If you want nice, honest young men go watch tennis or golf, except you will find exactly the same there. Watch John McEnroes excellent video on the BBC sport website about "popularity contests". It will put you straight on success in sport. 

So I am confused, several people are saying he didn't applaud, yet this post suggests he did. Having not seen it perhaps someone could clarify. Sadly this part of the race build up is not available on the F1 highlights page.

Sadly criticism of Lewis Hamilton is something we have come to expect, be it down to his success, we British hate success, be it his personal beliefs, his colour, or even his background as a council tennant kid.

People are quick to hammer him (pun completely intended) yet are very quick to forget the support that Lewis Hamilton has given the NHS, the race suits auction for NHS charities, the video messages of support and the donations directly to NHS projects. His patronage of Great Ormond Street Hospital, his work to support under privileged children both in the UK and around the world. No, they forget all that, they decide they don't like the way he was clapping the NHS and so they disengage their brains and start spouting bullshit about the man. Maybe they think it makes them look or sound big. Sadly it just makes them look bitter and ignorant.

It's a shame that in all the comments made so far nobody has deemed it worthy to decry the racist abuse that Lewis Hamilton has received since the end of the British GP. I for one will, this kind of hate speech has no place in sport, no place in the society I want to live in. If it is a part of your world then please leave it there. Right minded decent folk don't want it. 

what a super post!

instant conclusions formed with little or no research in this multi media age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Very well said.I make no apology for my support  of Lewis.In my opinion  it was 50 50,and I would  suggest it was a racing incident. Red bull were to use a football term,surrounding the ref,to get a player a red card.So Lewis got a 10 second  penalty worked with it and  won the  race.I like many hope Max is okay and look forward  to the next race. 

There's no bias against Hamilton,  proof of this is that well over 10% of tv viewers voted for Verstappen as driver of the day. Eight corners completed, if he'd gone eight laps it would have been best driver of all time! 😀

• Like 1

Fantastic well-rounded post Paul. 

In my own opinion (coming from a long time F1 fan and a 10+ year Hamilton fan) I would have to say it was probably more Hamilton’s fault than Mad Max’s. 

HOWEVER, it was 100% rough justice. Max has had this coming a long time. Look at the 2 lunges he’d already made on the previous 8 corners. Look at the lunge at Barcelona earlier this year. Look at him forcing Hamilton off at Imola in the rain. If you play stupid games eventually you’ll win a stupid prize - and yesterday he done just that…

Glad Max is OK, seems like the hospital thing has been blown out of all proportion - it was a precautionary move, nothing more than a few bruises by all accounts. 

As for the clapping thing - I think people need to get a grip. Any little thing to bring him down. He has probably given more (monetary wise) to the NHS than 99.9% of the population. 

• Like 4

Well I thought we was going to have an absolute Cracking race…. 

How wrong ..  

The sprint qualifying was more exciting and enjoyable to watch.. 

What happens bang first lap And it’s all over.. Red Flag 🚩 and 10 second penalty for Hamilton..

Do I think that’s fair ? No I don’t…  

Why didn’t he have a 3 place Grid penalty like what George Russell had with Sainz.. Or even made him start from the back.. They restarted the race from the grid.. That would of been more challenging to see Hamilton fight back through.. And more enjoyable race to watch.. 

Then Team Orders for Bottas to let Hamilton pass.. and not to race.. Come on it’s suppose to be a race.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suppose enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder. I enjoyed the race very much, and the roof is now back on after my cheers when Verstappen went off, and when Hamilton passed Leclerc on a corner 'you can't pass on'. Makes a change from the pole sitter disappearing into the distance to the chequred flag. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

.......  so far nobody has mentioned points on drivers licences

Just thought I`d lob that grenade in.

:default_gbxhmm:

Hamilton got two penalty points on his f1 licence as well as the 10 second penalty (caught the grenade 😂😂😂)

Chris

• Like 1