Counting Bridges

Broads01

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I wonder why they went to the trouble of digging out the bypass rather than just dredging under the bridge?  How long ago was the bypass dug out?

Griff

I remember going under it to fill up with water at Rowancraft. That could have been 1966 but possibly 1982. There was a sign to use the bypass in 1983.

Badly faded slide taken from the bridge in 83.

053a Chris Karl Darrell George Geldeston Dyke.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, webntweb said:

I remember going under it to fill up with water at Rowancraft. That could have been 1966 but possibly 1982. There was a sign to use the bypass in 1983.

Badly faded slide taken from the bridge in 83.

053a Chris Karl Darrell George Geldeston Dyke.jpg

Don't suppose you have anymore slides you'd like to share? The older the better. ..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Don't suppose you have anymore slides you'd like to share? The older the better. ..

Hundreds, quite a few of which I have posted in different topics over the years.

Also scans of black and white negs (tend to not always be sharp and grainy).

Most of them tend to be pics of our family on hire boats. I'm fine with posting any of them but I don't want to risk boring people.

Couple at Stokesby in Aug 58. Suppose it could be interesting to see things like the type of floatation jackets that the hire yards supplied in those days.

And the yachts moored on the opposite bank - don't think that happens nowadays.

011b Broads 58 neg Roy Geoff Stokesby.jpg

011c Broads 58 neg Stokesby.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Most of them tend to be pics of our family on hire boats. I'm fine with posting any of them but I don't want to risk boring people.

It's a broads forum, anybody bored with broads piccys may have joined the wrong group :default_biggrin:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1963 now and Crusader 1 from Richardson's.

The M&GN railway bridge over the Bure at the Yacht Station.

It had been disused for at least four years by then. There are cars on it in the pic but I don't know if it was used as a road or just for parking.

03 Broads 63 col neg Roy Yarmouth YS.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, webntweb said:

It had been disused for at least four years by then. There are cars on it in the pic but I don't know if it was used as a road or just for parking.

What a fascinating photo. When was that bridge demolished?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Great photos. Just wondering what would have been the en-vogue boats back in those days. The ones that would have turned heads as they went by - the equivalents of the Commander, Broadsmans of today perhaps? 

There were many woodies in immaculate condition in the 50s & 60s. Brooms, Moores, Ernest Collins, Hearts, Landamores, Chumley & Hawke and many others.

54 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Had you hired the Aquafibre in the foreground? Just curious (and whether you have more pics) as we hired the boat I think that is in 1983.

Yes we had a fortnight on Sunset Six 1 in August 83.

They were originally King of Light from Woods who only kept them for about three years. They all went to Beaver Fleet who we hired that one from. The external colour scheme was horrible and they weren't much better inside - very dark wood.

The main reason we hired one was it was one of the first years that discounts for children were introduced. The one we had was hired out as a 4 to 8 berth - we paid the basic price for five adults and the three children went free.

Probably well fitted out originally but considering they were only four or five years old they were in a poor state inside . . . doors not fitting or hanging off runners, windows leaking etc.

Oldgregg I have more pics of her which I will post tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, webntweb said:

I don't know but I'm sure someone else on here will. I have a picture taken in 1964 and it was still there then.

Can't say for certain but I think it was still there 1977/8ish, It was a while before it was finally demolished. Carol would probably know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, webntweb said:

This looks like the Callender-Hamilton road bridge which was put up to replace the old suspension bridge in 1952 after it had been declared unsafe. The Callender-Hamilton bridges were bolted together, like a giant Meccano kit, and this bridge was actually meant to be a temporary solution, but remained in place until the early 70s when the new road bridge was built. The old M&GN rail bridge was demolished around 1977/78 I believe.

Some fantastic photos by the way!

Carol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going back to the Norwich bridges ..... the official navigable end of the Wensum to private boats is at New Mills. Between Trowse rail bridge and New Mills are a further 11 bridges. We've done the trip a couple of times, as I believe has Griff in Broad Ambition?

The list in order is:

Carrow Bridge, Novi Sad, Lady Julian, Foundry Bridge, Bishops Bridge, Peter's Bridge, Whitefriars Bridge, Fye Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Duke Street Bridge and St Miles Coslany Bridge.

I did a short article with the history, old and new photos, plus a Google map of the Wensum Bridges for Broadland Memories a few years ago - there is also one on the Yare bridges too under the "More History" section of the Archive. Hopefully, similar will eventually follow for the remaining rivers/bridges when time allows!

Bridges of The River Wensum

Carol

• Like 4

I took water rail to the new mills pond, its really shallow to one side so stick to the left going in, deep water by the mill races to turn, and stick to the route you came in on the way back out, watch out for the weed on the way up and back, keep to the middle unless there is someone coming the other way and you will be fine.

Yep took 'B.A' all the way into the pond at New Mills, done it twice now, it's a lovely trip.  First time I couldn't get actually into the pond as water was too low and we touched bottom.  Second time, all the way in, turned and back out safely.  Overnighted at the Ribs of Beef pub.  There are photo's of the trip in the 'B.A' Crewed up and Underway thread

Griff

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Yep took 'B.A' all the way into the pond at New Mills, done it twice now, it's a lovely trip.  First time I couldn't get actually into the pond as water was too low and we touched bottom.  Second time, all the way in, turned and back out safely.  Overnighted at the Ribs of Beef pub.  There are photo's of the trip in the 'B.A' Crewed up and Underway thread

Griff

I've done it several times too, always a nice steady cruise up and back especially on a nice day top down and a glass of wine in hand. :default_winko:

Went up to New Mills twice on Moonlight and twice on Lightning. Had no problem with depth even though one trip on Lightning was at low tide, but did keep to centre of the channel.

Some low res pics of a few of the bridges above the yacht station. Bishop's Bridge from upstream; Whitefriars Bridge; Fye Bridge; Head of navigation at New Mills; St Miles Coslony Bridge; Thomas More's 'Utopia' on the old Eastern Electric building.

I do have some movie clips from above Bishop's Bridge on SVHS-C which I was about to take to have converted so I can edit them in iMovie, but first lockdown came along. When I've had the second jab (this weekend) I'll take them. Some of them are too valuable to us to trust to the post.

1730 Bishop's bridge Norwich looking downstream.JPG

1737 Whitefriars bridge Norwich.JPG

1738 Fye bridge Norwich.JPG

1740 Head of navigation New Mills Norwich.JPG

1741 St Miles Coslony bridge Norwich.JPG

1743 Thomas More's 'Utopia' on old Eastern Electricity building.JPG

• Like 1