Exercise Regime

grendel

Well done Grendel. Keep it up. I have failed completely this week. The really cold weather with frequent snow and hail showers kept me inside. I had taken to having a walk after work with the longer daylight hours. But I haven’t had any inclination to do that this week. 

• Like 1

I have to say, that while I still get out of breath getting up the hill to the woods, and still slightly breathless while walking around, once I get home my recovery time is a lot less now, so some benefit being seen. I suppose if the weather were really bad I could use the treadmill, but there really is no motivation when just trudging on the treadmill. yesterday I spotted some paths i have not yet explored, they are nearer my departure point so I would need to explore on the route out or back, so that is the next target, you see its being out and seeing a side path that provides the impetus to go the next day and explore where that side path leads, once I have learned the paths there is enough variety to keep me engaged for ages to come, plus I have still to explore the further regions past the pond, there is the same area again past that to explore, and that links to footpaths leading to the next village etc etc.

my knees will be the limiting factor I think as they are not in best of shape, thus the gentle walks, I wont be pushing too hard or taking up jogging though. but distance, that is possible at a gentle pace.

• Like 1

today being Satuday and the fact I went shopping coupled with the fact it was raining, meant that yes, I went for my walk, got soaked through, but managed my 2 miles, clothes all into the washing machine, and a quick shower to warm up, i couldnt believe there were fishermen out at the pond fishing, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

• Like 3

todays walk was slightly extended, 2 1/2 hours, I like exploring off the beaten tracks, and today I went exploring the woods next to the stream that feeds the pond, I found a lovely secluded spot, with a small pool about 12" deep, ideal for paddling once the weather gets warmer, it has a lovely shaped tree for just sitting contemplating the world, its like being away from the rest of the world, and a wonderful place, clear a few dead branches away and the pool will be a great place to cool my feet mid walk (I did stick a toe in but its still very cold at this time of the year. maybe in the summer I can take my swimming trunks and have a sit down cool off in the water.

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

• Like 3

I do a decent walk with Purdey dog every day / night.  Some longer than others, not sure how far they are though.  I don't have one of those app thingy's to tell me how many steps or how far I've been either, just eyeball it.  Can't see the point of counting steps

Griff

• Like 1

well I was sporting an injury this morning, a thorn or splinter in my heel, was painful, so at lunch time i applied my age old remedy for splinters, a honey plaster, just a drip of honey on a standard plaster. by 3 pm the pain was a lot less, so I ventured for my walk, thinking I could turn round any time i liked, so with this thought in mind i then proceeded past the pond, intent on taking the next path headed across, well that was quite an additional walk, until I found a path, then it was back onto my original route, maybe adding another mile to todays walk in total, and the heel gave no problems, i did have a couple of thorns that made it all the way through the sole of my shoes and poked into my foot, fortunately I carry a swiss army knife, so these were prised from the bottom of my shoes for the remainder of the walk. one bramble did a lightning fast strike and made it through an opening in my sandal and managed to nip a chunk out of my foot, but even that didnt stop my enjoyment of my walk today, I returned tired and sore, but happy.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2021 at 21:21, BroadAmbition said:

I do a decent walk with Purdey dog every day / night.  Some longer than others, not sure how far they are though.  I don't have one of those app thingy's to tell me how many steps or how far I've been either, just eyeball it.  Can't see the point of counting steps

Griff

On 12/04/2021 at 12:44, grendel said:

me neither Griff, I just know that to the pond and back is around 2 miles

Whilst a lot of myth grew about step counting, it does in fact have an important part to play in keeping fit, especially for the older members of society and the less mobile. Step counting via an app with a graph is a very good indicator of a sedentary lifestyle be that infront of a tablet screen, tv or reading a mag, or dare I say it " sitting at the wheel of a motor boat " as opposed to sailing. 

An hours physical exercise is never bad, but not alot of good if the other 23 are spent on social media, propping up the bar and in bed.

images.jpeg.44dba75102d252ae27be7dd99ae3db16.jpeg

A step count can be a very useful aid to motivation to get moving.

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

A step count can be a very useful aid to motivation to get moving.

I would have to agree with this. It’s far from being an answer on its own but it’s definitely motivation to set a target and then achieve it. I’ve probably been out for far more walks this year than I would have done without it. 

while weight is not such an important criteria to measure fitness, i have found that i have lost half a stone already through my efforts, yesterdays exercise was nearly cancelled due to a delivery notification coming through with no timeslot mentioned, the notification was sent out at midday, meaning it would arrive sometime in the afternoon, fortunately it arrived in plenty of time so i could still get out. more path exploring today, the heath land at the top of the woods is covered in areas of gorse, vicious stuff with thorns, so i have taken to carrying a pair of leather gloves and secateurs with me to clear some of the paths as i go, nothing worse than the path ending with two gorse bushes that allow you to see a clear path ahead, but risk death from blood loss to get there, so snip snip and the path is clear again, i have given up on one path though as the gorse is so thick i cant see the path beyond, there are also paths lost due to fallen trees and scrub brush that are blocking the paths, i might slowly get to some of these too. yesterday was just a short route - just to the pond and back really, though I did trail blaze 2 new paths, one meant trimming the gorse back

• Like 2

todays was a quick walk, a short 2 mile one, I was trying out some newer walking boots that i have, as the walking sandals I have been using do let thorns come through the soles, so a newer pair of boots was tried, this was not a great success, I came home with aching feet, and a limp, something wasnt keeping my feet happy, maybe the soles dont flex enough on the rough ground, who knows, so its back to testing a different pair of shoes again tomorrow.

anyway I got my exercise in for the day, which is what counts.

strangely enough the boots i was wearing were Karrimor mid 8 weathertites.

The comfortable sandals I wear are the karrimor K2 ones, and I have several pairs of the shoes, I think though that these boots may just be too new and need wearing in, I do have the exact ones you show in a shoe, even a brand new pair still in the box (bought during the sales some 5 years ago, I spent a few hundred and came out with about 6 pairs of shoes and boots as its rare they have them in my size.

in the meantime I have 2 new pairs of the sandals on order, as the sandals are my daily shoes.

In the past I have had several pairs of the boots and they are generally very comfortable, as I said, this pair may just be too new and stiff at the moment.

• Like 1

well back to the sandals today and i managed 2 miles as usual with no issues, so there is definitely something needs doing with the boots. I have to say the sandals I have are probably 3 years old or more now, but considering they had a years respite due to lockdowns, i still think they have lasted well.

9 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Try stuffing your new boots with damp newspaper leave until the paper is dry then try then.

The choice of newspaper is yours.

It was the advice when I had to wear NHS shoes.

Mind that was more years/decades ago than I am willing to admit to.

paul

May not work the same with modern waterproof membranes inside.

a change of route today, i needed to pick up a prescription, so walked it there and back, at just under 2 miles, a lot flatter than my normal route, but still good exercise. Only just over a week now before I will be headed for the broads for a week. I was due to be on Water Rail, but the injection pump is in for refurbishment having leaked diesel into the sump, and we are not sure when it will be ready, but we do have a backup plan in hand, so I am not certain which boat until the day.

• Like 2

We hope to be on the Broads from 1st May too, so do give us a wave if you see us on Moonlight Shadow. It does depend on father-in-law's health though (which I referred to at the weekend on the 'My Day' thread). Thankfully, he's looking a lot more chipper, now that I've been feeding him up for several days. Indeed, he's looking so much better that we are hoping that he will be able to join us. We think he was looking so weak because he hadn't been eating.

• Like 1