May Holiday

Guest barrie

Hi

I am just back yesterday from a week long break and thought i would post details of our journey.

Sat 21st May 2011 - Sat 28th May 2011

There was 8 of us on board, 7 adults and my 2 year old neice.

Early start for the drive to Stalham from Renfrew (Nr Glasgow), left Renfrew 6am, arrived Stalham 3pm, picked up our boat Broads Serenade 1 from Richardsons and after a brief demonstration we cruised down to Ludham Br, had some dinner then took a walk up to the Dog Inn.

Sunday we left Ludham Br and went up to Potter Heigham, turned just before the bridge and then headed back and moored up for breakfast. From there we went to Wroxham and moored up in a Blakes boatyard and took a walk to the town centre. The river was busy with hire boats and day boats. Next was a cruise back down to Acle for the night.

On Monday we left Acle about 8ish and headed down to Gt Yarmouth and Breydon water, crossed the Breydon Water and moored at the Berney Arms Windmill for some Breakfast. We then headed up the Yare towards Brundall, mooring up for the night at the Coldham Arms where we had dinner. Food was nice but portions could have been bigger. Very nice spot to moor though.

We headed up to Norwich on Tuesday to go to Morrisons for some supplies and then headed back down the yare towards Reedham stopping off for lunch and a pint at Woods End pub before heading down to Reedham for the night.

Wednesday saw us heading down the new cut through Somerleyton and down to Beccles Yacht station where we moored and took on water and had some lunch. After some time in the playpark with Leah (2 year old neice), yes I did sneak a shot on the swings too, we headed back to Somerleyton for the night. We had dinner in the Dukes Head, where we also hoped to take in the Scotland v Wales match and we were slightly dissapointed to find that despite advertising Sky Sports, they said they did not have Sky. It was busy with diners so I guess they may not have wanted football on.

Thuesay we were back at Breydon Water, which we crossed about 11.20 and moored in Great yarmouth for a few hours to stock up on food and beer for our planned bbq that night which we had at Acle (almost a disaster though when my Aunt dropped our only box of matches in the river).

Firday we were left with a short sail back to Stalham stopping at the St Benets moorings for lunch and Ludham Br for some water. Arrived back at Stalham and ordered dinner from the local take away and that ends our trip unfortunately.

All that was left was the long drive home to Renfrew!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Barrie, thanks for the tale. You don`t say anything about the weather, what was it like?. Also, how did you rate the boat, and did you take any photo`s?. Hope you had a great time and you all enjoyed your cruise, and that you`ll return. Regards ................. Neil.

Hi Barrie

How did you find the boat?

I had booked it a couple of years ago but didn't make the holiday due to family illness.

Always liked the look of them and the layout was one of the few around that could have four fixed doubles which was a great benefit in its layout I thought.

All the best

Dan

Broads Serenade was a great boat, still feels and looks new. However I would say its a little tight for space as the cabins are pretty small but we expected that, Richardsons have Broads Sunset and Harmony etc which I think are identical size wise, but have less berths and I think that would be a little more confortable.

The weather was great, it was windy most days but it was pretty warm and sunny most of the time.