Mooring Ropes

Andrewcook

They don't, well that is to say ours never have in 14 years of owning 'B.A' same goes for the hireboats we have had over the years.  Having said that I have removed plenty of knots from the hairy stuff using screwdrivers / vice grips etc

Once a season our mooring ropes go through the longest cycle wash in t washing machine possible with added fabric softener too.  That does the trick, brings them up like new, soft and pliable too

Griff

• Like 1

The blue ones do seem to be more common and are a pain if they get knotted or frayed. Often too short as well, maybe where knots have been cut out. To their credit Bridgecraft use proper rope and a decent length too. There's nothing more annoying than trying to put springs on at the likes of Yarmouth etc and finding the ropes are not long enough. 

The benefit of polypropylene ropes is it's cheap and floats, but it's bloody horrible stuff, I usually go for double braid nylon inner with polyester outer as they wear well with a bit of stretch, I carry spare 16mm nylon 3 strand for bumpy coastal moorings as it snatches less.

I find chucking mooring lines in a pillowcase before washing saves on wear.

• Like 1

also if you are laying the rope into a coil, make sure you coil in the right direction, as if you go against the grain the rope will not lay flat to the deck, it usually takes several goes to get the mooring lines to coil nice and flat on the jewels on lads week

• Like 1