Single Level Cruiser Wanted.

We have friends who, because of a disability, are wanting a single level cruiser, something similar to our Alphacraft would be ideal so they can possibly adapt it for a wheelchair. If anyone hears of anything I would appreciate a nod....tia.

20210331_114209.jpg

A couple of Opal 28's came up recently, one on NBS and the other on NYA and both sold in a few days, these type of single level boats are very popular and often sell without making the websites, so best to advise the two main brokers, of what you are looking for. What is the budget please, is a new one too expensive, NBS are building new at the moment.

We have a single level Alpha 36 and love it and recommend.

Keep an eye on the River Thames brokers, these type of boats do come up from time to time and are often cheaper in Norfolk, with overland transport to the broads still proving very economic. Apolloduck website is also worth keeping an eye on.

Sorry if you already know all this, will keep my ear to the ground.

I know they are a bit older nowadays, but the classic Bounty (Solar) 37 or 44 adapts itself very well for people who have to use wheelchairs.  The double front doors give access to the front well for sitting outside and the saloon is very spacious, usually having a fold away or slide away double berth, very convenient for use by the handicapped.  These boats can be moored bow on to the quay just as easily as stern on, for easy access to the bank over the foredeck.

Getting on board depends on the actual severity of the handicap but assuming the person has help, then access should be practical in this way.  If not, you are looking at fitting a hydraulic ramp, which can be done over the aft deck, into the aft cabin, which connects to the rest of the boat via a corridor which can easily be widened.  The boat already has hydraulic drive, which can be used to power the ramp.

These boats can also be easily driven by someone sitting in a wheelchair.  During my career I have welcomed probably hundreds of handicapped customers onto boats of this design and they have all had a good holiday!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/bounty-37-mkii-2/

without the front well there is more room in the saloon  of the Bounty 37.. 

Is that one of your old boats clive? Very similar style galley, upholstery you used on richardson's Refits. Dont like the canopy over the rear well. But a very good starter boat if you like the design. Always find it funny that the brokers can't never give you a exact build date for a lot of the old hire boats. 

This reminds me of a plan we had in Crown Blue Line to convert Bounty 44s (which we called Atlantic) for the handicapped, both mental and physical.

1728451045_Atlanticproposedconv_comp.thumb.jpg.1ea255615cd309b32064dbaad3ec817c.jpg

The aft cabin, aft toilet and shower could be kept for other members of the party, or carers.  Bounty bathtubs are built with solid floors, which means bulkheads can be removed easily, without weakening the structure.  The boat would also have had suitable wiring for oxygen breathing apparatus and other medical equipment.  One can see that there is a lot more involved in converting a holiday cruiser for the handicapped, than there is in a boat just designed for day trips.

One can also see that doing this sort of conversion drastically reduces the number of berths, even in a 44ft boat, and also makes it less likely to attract "normal" bookings. So unfortunately, our new owners did not go through with the idea. Too much "impact on the bottom line"!

Screenshot_20210402-065410_eBay.thumb.jpg.0b05a7ef34144552abb7eb2e15023442.jpgpScreenshot_20210402-065936_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bbaed3ea63d7d8da09e9f99947554ca8.jpg

13 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

No idea.

13 hours ago, Vaughan said:

No cooker?

2 burner hob/ combined sink under glass lid, I think Viking fit them to smaller boats.

Smev make them.

Screenshot_20210402-065410_eBay.thumb.jpg.0b05a7ef34144552abb7eb2e15023442.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, andyg said:

Is that one of your old boats clive? Very similar style galley, upholstery you used on richardson's Refits. Dont like the canopy over the rear well. But a very good starter boat if you like the design. Always find it funny that the brokers can't never give you a exact build date for a lot of the old hire boats. 

yes it was years ago, she has been in private hands for a number of years now with some decent upgrades but still a solid boat. 

4 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

yes it was years ago, she has been in private hands for a number of years now with some decent upgrades but still a solid boat. 

I like these boats, purely for the room they offer inside. I never feel cramped on board them. I know concerto has the forward well, but supreme and concerto were cracking refits of this type. Not so keen on ones that have the engines mounted in the galley or under a bunk.. I'd deffo think about one if I was looking, sadly I'm too lazy to do all the exterior cleaning etc etc.