Calling All Thunder Owners And Cruisers Of The Northern Broads

wooster

How are you guys finding your boatyard in Horning? I've currently a share in Lightning but I'm in the process of buying a small ( 27ft ) boat and in some ways., I wouldn't mind a change of scene. I'm considering a move up north and your yard interests me. I'm looking for something relatively quiet and with showers etc.

Good idea for me or would you recommend other northern moorings?

Thanks all

2 hours ago, wooster said:

Hi thanks but I should have made it clearer I was looking for permanent moorings. I know that Stalham is a nice part of the Broads though :default_smile:

These are permanent. Well hopefully! Their yard has a private section and I love it there. Very nice staff and to be honest, boat owners. 

• Like 1

We have just moved our moorings to Richardson's, our boat will be arriving there once we can travel, Of course the facilities at Richardson's are excellent, and we found the company staff very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Keeping our boat in the famous wet shed will mean we can use her all year round, and she is protected from the weather. Having spent most of our time on the Southern rivers, it will also be a delightful change of scenery and we new places to visit. 

As part of my wife's new job, she is involved with Mona's Queen (the YMCA boat) which is kept in the wet shed, it made sense to keep our boat there as well. 

From what I have experienced so far, I would highly recommend Richardson's yard.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We have just moved our moorings to Richardson's, our boat will be arriving there once we can travel, 

Looking forward to welcoming you as new neighbours

Griff

We arrive early doors next Monday. Having a few days on Mona's Queen with Nigel before we bring BG over. 

20 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

These are permanent. Well hopefully! Their yard has a private section and I love it there. Very nice staff and to be honest, boat owners. 

Ah. My mistake. I hadn't realised. Thanks for the heads up :-)

45 minutes ago, wooster said:

Question deleted. Google was my friend :default_smile: 

I will give Richardsons a bell after the BH. Do the facilities ( showers etc ) get pretty busy when the hire boats are in full swing?

Never had a problem but things are restricted due to the virus. Has a launderette too which has proved handy.

It can get crazy but the Moorings are out of the way from hirers and the yard is so large it isn't a problem

Better still, it has a builders merchant right outside which is helpful for fixings and wood etc.

I get my gas from here too. Diesel on site and pump out. There's so much space in the basin so no queuing.

I consider myself lucky that when I bought my boat from Richardson's there was also a mooring available.

On 03/04/2021 at 16:05, wooster said:

How are you guys finding your boatyard in Horning? I've currently a share in Lightning but I'm in the process of buying a small ( 27ft ) boat and in some ways., I wouldn't mind a change of scene. I'm considering a move up north and your yard interests me. I'm looking for something relatively quiet and with showers etc.

Good idea for me or would you recommend other northern moorings?

Thanks all

I think your original post was referring to Horning Pleasucraft's Marina.

https://broadshols.co.uk/

We have been moored there since December 2018 and love it. Full yard facilities and very friendly staff. It's about 1 mile from the village by road, so easily walkable if you don't want to use the car. Only a short walk to the 'Ferry Inn' and 'The Clubhouse', which is next door to Norfolk Yacht agency.

if your buying a boat it's best to find a mooring first, when we were looking to purchase, all the decent marina's on the North Broads seemed to have a waiting list. Fortunately, by the time we bought our boat, Clive was able to fir us in at Horning.

I'm a former Thunder owner, and yeah Horning Pleasurecraft (as it is now known) is a great spot to moor.

You couldn't really ask for a more central location to moor if you want to be based on the North. Everything is within sensible cruising distance, and the actual marina is pleasant.