Don't Know If I'm Coming Or Going....

RumPunch

Popped down the boat yesterday evening, and as it was getting dark thought I'd test the nav lights.... only to realise I have the masthead tricolour on backwards. Green to port, red to stbd, white to front. The bow light is the right way round though - hence the title

Leave the mast alone and turn the boat round.

Whaddya mean it won't work?

Have you seen those rag n stick merchants during the evenings of the 3RR?

I once did a night nav to see how they were getting on, I had a right palarva trying to figure out which bearing / heading they were on by looking at their 'Nav' lights only to discover a lot of them were displaying battery LED's tie wrapped on in various locations and they were 360 lights!  Aaarrrggghhhhhh

Griff

The tri-colour light at the masthead is used when underway and sailing only, so providing you are motoring, the bow lights are correct: Rule 25 Colregs 

So don't worry until you next take the mast down. Sorry, you probably know this.

• Like 1

The 3RR competitors are warned about the correct use of lights.. But I'm guess the problem is after dropping the mast 4 times during the race they get disturbed..

But it is a thought I haven't made provision for lights on my little sailing boat and while I won't be doing 3RR in her I may get caught out after dark somewhere in the future...

As for 3RR, I've just committed to guardship duty, for this years race 5/6 June 2021. Planned start time 11:00. Get your entries in now, they close early May..

Forms and details on http://www.3rr.uk/3RRapplicationform.html

The 3RR competitors are warned about the correct use of lights.. But I'm guess the problem is after dropping the mast 4 times during the race they get disturbed..

When some of them are using small battery 360 deg red / green lights tie wrapped to the shrouds, no end of mast lowering / raising is going to alter the confusion that causes

Griff