High Water

unclemike

Robin posted some photos and a little video from Brundall on Facebook yesterday. He said the flooding was the worst he had seen in the three years he’s been there. 

We received a flood warning for Lowestoft down to Bawdsey. 

48 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Don't tell Greta Thunberg about these record tides, or she'll be lobbying the Environment Agency to ban Diesel omissions from our bots.

There are far worse emissions from bots than diesel.....:default_coat:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I for one don’t think global warming is a joke.

Neither do I but I am not sure that any of our individual puny gestures to save the planet are going to make any difference.

After all, if it were not for global warming, Norfolk would still be under a glacier, whose remains formed what some now call the Great Estuary.

• Like 2

This is where I get a bit annoyed!

Petrol is more globally polluting than Diesel, (more "greenhouse" gasses).  Diesel is more locally polluting than Petrol, (more soots and smuts). The jury is still out on electric/hybrid cars, or at least I've heard/read no definitive arguments.

I am unaware of any manufacturer making a diesel hybrid car, which must be the ultimate vehicle for distance motoring.

I accept that a significant amount of the electricity generated in this country is done without burning fossil fuels, but I am further aware that we as a country imports an also significant amount of the electricity we need.

I am unaware of where this power comes from, nor that country's record on "green" power generation. 

Governments of both parties want to lead us by the nose in deciding what our next car will be powered by. 

If we all start buying electric cars, the government of the day will lose a vast amount of revenue. How do members think that might effect the price of electricity? Do members think that Road Tax will stay cheap for such cars? How many here remember when Diesel cars were rare and DERV was very cheap?

Well, that's got that off my chest!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Theres a whole lot of squit being talked about electric cars and indeed heat source heating in house - targets here there and everywhere, none of which will ever be achieved. Everyone goes on about electric cars and still they cannot manage a decent journey - in the cold weather when that affects battery power and you have the heating on, that alone can reduce your available mileage by up to half! So if its not bad enough to not get where you want to go, you have to freeze your n**s off just to achieve that!!!

There are plenty of other savings to be made, for example by banning bitcoins, a very simple thing to do!! The bitcoin industry uses the same amount of energy as a the whole of Argentina - just ban them!!!! And save some people a lot of heartache!

MM - want to see the answer to your electricity question?? See here for todays figures

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

• Like 2

Diesel used to be a lot cheaper than petrol because it's cheaper to produce and there's more of it. The a government decided they didn't want us to use diesel and loaded the duty to make it more expensive than petrol. So why not just give notice and ban it altogether? Probably because it's not such a problem after all but we'll have the duty thanks.

Electric cars were around in the 1970's but all the technology was bought up and hidden away for fear of doing harm to the established car industry by forcing them into investment. The oil industry probably had an iron in the fire too.

LPG seems to have gone quiet and I guess anyone investing vast amounts to produce electric cars would be pretty miffed if someone came along and proved hydrogen power (or something else) was better? Just saying, but I suspect alternatives to electric cars will be pretty quiet for a while more.

We could all help if we didn't change our cars for vanity reasons. Cars should be built to last for ever.

Got a kitchen roll at home? Dump it and use a dish cloth. Look at the process of making paper versus recycling paper and you'll see there's very little difference in terms of energy used. The energy consumption in both cases probably does more damage to the environment than tree loss.

I think environmental change would be a lot quicker if we all looked to ourselves rather than governments and industry, we're educated after all aren't we?

Who got me started?

28 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

but I am further aware that we as a country imports an also significant amount of the electricity we need.

I am unaware of where this power comes from, nor that country's record on "green" power generation. 

MM we are interconnected with France Holland and Ireland, Electricity can flow both ways, as of 6 minutes ago we were importing nearly 3Gw from france, none from Holland and exporting about 0.5 Gw to ireland.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

of the rest 17% wind, 10% solar, 7% biomass, 12% nuclear and 41% combined cycle gas turbines, imports are 7%  and a few other sundry sources

• Thanks 1