Southern Broads Future

Andrewcook

Has the Southern Broads got a future  as the Boat Yards are disappearing can there  by any Investment  with better moorings like pontoons in place due to tides Rise and Fall also having centers like the one called The  Waveny center I believe with amenities on site will it ever be good as to 1960s  once again? 

• Confused 1

The last few seasons , pre covid, I have noticed more and more hire boats on the Southern rivers , so as opposed to dying out I can only see them getting busier , yes hire yards have closed but so have yards on the Northern rivers ,Royals and Summercraft (except two boats) in recent seasons .

I know a lot of hirers who look forward to the Breydon crossing and treat it as an essential part of their holiday , as a generalisation the pubs on the south tend to provide better meals than their counterparts on the north (with a few notable exceptions , but that is purely my opinion ).

“Better moorings like pontoons” , the trouble with this is simple , cost ! 
Provided correctly tied there is ample good moorings on the South , recently Beccles had a huge investment made to the moorings , tricky spots such as Gt Yarmouth(yes I know it’s in the North) and Reedham have excellent rangers assisting with safe mooring , Oulton yacht station already has some pontoon moorings , also there are two pontoon moorings at Beccles .

Kate and I love our trips South and will continue to do so frequently , many of our members keep their private boats on the South and much prefer it to the northern rivers , so IMHO the South has a lot to offer for now and for the foreseeable future 

• Like 3

We've been hiring from yards down south for a number of years, first stop is always a meal and a few beers at the best pub (imho) on the broads, Ferry House with a bookable mooring!

We then normally head north for a few days how many normally depends how chaotic it is over there then head back down to Beccles!

I have a feeling that this year my stay north will be much shorter!   :default_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The southern rivers have a lot to offer, Beccles has to be the jewel in the crown,a great place to have a walk around, nice place for an overnight stay, the locks just a little further on. Reedham ferry is always a good stop off. I could watch that ferry go back and forth all day long with a cold pint. Loddon is a must the chet is a challenge at times but adds to the fun. Not to keen on Brundall but a good overnight base for a visit to Norwich. Lowestoft if you want a bit of seaside fun and an icream 😉😉. I enjoy a walk round Burgh Castle and the fisherman's is a fantastic spot for a pint on a lovely sunny day. What more could you want. 

• Like 5

Andy, you have missed all those quiet out of the way places, Geldeston staithe, mud weighting out of the way on surlingham broad, wild mooring on the chet to mention just a few, ok wild moorings are less prevalent on the southern rivers, but they are there if you want to find them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

Andy, you have missed all those quiet out of the way places, Geldeston staithe, mud weighting out of the way on surlingham broad, wild mooring on the chet to mention just a few, ok wild moorings are less prevalent on the southern rivers, but they are there if you want to find them.

Grendel, suuuuch don't give too much away. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The southern broads have a lot to offer.The broads North and south  have changed  over the years.The last year has certainly  had a massive impact not only the broads, but the country as a whole. I've been coming to the broads since the sixties and never tire of it north and south. Hopefully soon the broads will be our home.

• Like 1

Will you lot please button it, you all know how awful it is on the southern Broads. I think you’re just trying to empty the northern rivers! Just be honest and remind people of the terrors and traumas of the south. ☠️👀😇

• Haha 3

Hi all thank you for response to this Topic as to going to the Southern Broads  in the Summer what about in October as I will be on the Broads will it be all right Crossing Breydon with the Tide and the weather being fine in October? As I hate and fear of be being the Only Boat going across from North to South of the Broads

When we were hiring in early or late months (mostly March or October) I used to check the tides before booking, so that we could get a week when low slack water made passage through Yarmouth possible during daylight hours. Mind you, we did cut it a bit fine one year whilst getting back up north and had to moor up on an emergency pontoon not far from the Five Mile Mill on the Bure overnight as we didn’t think we could make it to Stracey Arms before sunset.