Hi There - Broads Next Week For A Short Break; Help With Itinerary...?!

Nucktheking

Hi all,

As title, we're coming up from Sussex from Tuesday afternoon - Saturday morning, hiring a "Gold Gem" from Richardson's in Stalham.

I have sailed quite a lot, so am very aware of the need to look at tides (especially before doing anything around Yarmouth - unless I am worrying unnecessarily!).

We feel (or rather, my teenage son feels!) that we would rather be moving in the boat than stopping and walking everywhere: so I have planned the following, and want to know if this will work (I appreciate that it involves 4+ hrs per day of motoring, but I think it avoids driving against the tides too much)

Tuesday PM: Stalham - Ludham Bridge

Wednesday: Ludham Bridge - Burgh Castle (including passing Yarmouth +/- 1 hr from low tide @ 18:18

Thursday: Burgh Castle - Waveney River Centre - Berney Arms

Friday: Berney Arms (leaving by 07:00 to catch 07:06 low tide at Yarmouth) - Neatishead/Acle/Sutton

Saturday: back to Stalham.

Any comments would be most welcome - and if there is any info on pubs/ takeaways that are open en route (although, of course, we would have to sit outside  !) that would be really helpful too.

Thanks so much in advance.

Nick.

30 minutes ago, Nucktheking said:

Hi all,

As title, we're coming up from Sussex from Tuesday afternoon - Saturday morning, hiring a "Gold Gem" from Richardson's in Stalham.

I have sailed quite a lot, so am very aware of the need to look at tides (especially before doing anything around Yarmouth - unless I am worrying unnecessarily!).

We feel (or rather, my teenage son feels!) that we would rather be moving in the boat than stopping and walking everywhere: so I have planned the following, and want to know if this will work (I appreciate that it involves 4+ hrs per day of motoring, but I think it avoids driving against the tides too much)

Tuesday PM: Stalham - Ludham Bridge

Wednesday: Ludham Bridge - Burgh Castle (including passing Yarmouth +/- 1 hr from low tide @ 18:18

Thursday: Burgh Castle - Waveney River Centre - Berney Arms

Friday: Berney Arms (leaving by 07:00 to catch 07:06 low tide at Yarmouth) - Neatishead/Acle/Sutton

Saturday: back to Stalham.

Any comments would be most welcome - and if there is any info on pubs/ takeaways that are open en route (although, of course, we would have to sit outside  !) that would be really helpful too.

Thanks so much in advance.

Nick.

See thread on what is and what isnt open pub wise. As always, it is best to call ahead.

• Thanks 1

Fine but south of Acle and north of St Olaves you will see a lot of reeds and riverbank, just a few trees and bu**er all else!!!!!! 

You are coming to the Broads and will see just one!!!! Or two if you nip into Oulton!!!

You shouldn't be punching the tide too much but they are spring tides next week, and tides never could tell the time that well!!!

• Thanks 1

We are down from Monday and will access some of the local pubs to make sure they are not to busy, it will also depend on the weather.

As normal some jobs to do, Alex has fitted the new aerial I just have to finish the wiring, Pat testing, and fully checking out the boat before any of my fellow owners have their allocations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

The pubs open page is here if you haven't already come across it (scroll towards the bottom of the page for the latest updates):

15 minutes ago, Helian said:

If you are planning to overnight at Waveney River Centre you may wish to consider pre booking your mooring.

Thanks Helian; it's in the middle of a trip from Burgh Castle, down and back via Waveney to Berney Arms, so won't need an overnight mooring there.

Guys,

Thanks for all of your (incredibly rapid!) responses. :default_icon_clap:

I will make some calls over the weekend and check on where might be open: and it seems like the itinerary is do-able (unless anyone feels otherwise!)

Thanks again for all of your help. :91_thumbsup:

Now just hope it's not too :339_snowflake: next week...:10_wink:

Nuck.

50 minutes ago, marshman said:

Fine but south of Acle and north of St Olaves you will see a lot of reeds and riverbank, just a few trees and bu**er all else!!!!!! 

You are coming to the Broads and will see just one!!!! Or two if you nip into Oulton!!!

You shouldn't be punching the tide too much but they are spring tides next week, and tides never could tell the time that well!!!

Marshman,

It's the idea that we want to keep going which is driving ('scuse the pun!) the itinerary. Perhaps it might be better to go up the Yare when we leave Breydon, rather than South down the Waveney?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nucktheking said:

Thanks Helian; it's in the middle of a trip from Burgh Castle, down and back via Waveney to Berney Arms, so won't need an overnight mooring there.

Oh ok. 😊 Enjoy your trip.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nucktheking said:

OBB,

Suggested by a friend of mine and downloaded - but difficult to know how useful it is in Sussex :10_wink:, so good to have it confirmed!

Thanks.

N.

There is also a post/ sticky here somewhere in a sub forum on travelling times between A & B, subject to tides of course.

Again, just saying.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Nick You dont say where you wish to over night is your idea to sail morning until dusk covering as much ground as possible or a more leisurely in which case stay south unless you like mud and reeds. John 

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I put the itinerary in the OP; plan is to try and see as much of the Broads as we can, so although not dawn-dusk, possibly 5-6 hrs "moving" per day.Only changes I've made to OP are to head for Horning on Tuesday evening (booked table at Swan Inn) to celebrate re-opening.

So, overnights will be:

Tuesday - Horning (outside Swan Inn)

Wednesday - Burgh Castle/Berney Arms (depending on whether it's Yare or Waveney river for the day; advice on that would be lovely!) Eating/drinking (!) on board - so doesn't matter if it's remote!

Thursday - Berney Arms / Burgh Castle. Again, dinner on board.

Friday - Anywhere within an hour of Stalham for Sat AM return - again, any advice about pubs/moorings for that evening would be great.

Thanks again for your advice.

N.

Edited by Nucktheking
Changed Annv to John

A couple of thoughts...

1) Going south through Gt Yarmouth on Wednesday, sunset is at 19.47, make sure you have enough time to get to somewhere else if there is no mooring available at Burgh Castle

2) Going North through Yarmouth on Friday, there will still be a strong ebb flowing out of the Bure for some time after low water, the cruise from Yarmouth to Acle may be against a tide for a while.

Have you considered staying north and trying to explore up to Coltishall as well as Horning, Ranworth, Potter Heigham.

We cruise with friends and have 4 kids on board and find that stopping regularly having a run ashore and then moving off somewhere else.

Pubs and takeaways can be found in lots of places but there will be more around Yarmouth, Horning, as well as the white horse in Neatishead and the Lion at Thurne and the Maltsters at Ranworth.

Have fun!

David

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Passage time at Great Yarmouth next Wednesday is 19-18 but sunset is 18-47. It takes at least 45 minutes to get across Breydon.  So it means you will be mooring in the dark. 

If you are looking at the same tide table as me, the tide time are in BST but the sunset is GMT, so the sunset time is 19.47, but still tight for time.

15 minutes ago, Davydine said:

A couple of thoughts...

1) Going south through Gt Yarmouth on Wednesday, sunset is at 19.47, make sure you have enough time to get to somewhere else if there is no mooring available at Burgh Castle

2) Going North through Yarmouth on Friday, there will still be a strong ebb flowing out of the Bure for some time after low water, the cruise from Yarmouth to Acle may be against a tide for a while.

Have you considered staying north and trying to explore up to Coltishall as well as Horning, Ranworth, Potter Heigham.

We cruise with friends and have 4 kids on board and find that stopping regularly having a run ashore and then moving off somewhere else.

Pubs and takeaways can be found in lots of places but there will be more around Yarmouth, Horning, as well as the white horse in Neatishead and the Lion at Thurne and the Maltsters at Ranworth.

Have fun!

David

@Davydine

@BrundallNavy

Thanks for all this. I guess I wanted to try and see different places, not be just going up and down the same stretches as much as this can be avoided.

But your points about the tides at Yarmouth are good ones: I have looked at slack water passage, but wondered whether it's possible to nip through 30 mins before that without too many issues - it would be very helpful to know if this is just not possible...

With sunset at 19:50, going through at 6:15-30ish would hopefully still allow enough daylight to cross Braydon and head for Burgh Castle (then back to Berney Castle if that's full).

But again, any advice would be brilliant - I am very grateful to you both for your input.

N.

Edited by Nucktheking
Replies updated

30 minutes ago, Nucktheking said:

@Davydine

@BrundallNavy

Thanks for all this. I guess I wanted to try and see different places, not be just going up and down the same stretches as much as this can be avoided.

But your points about the tides at Yarmouth are good ones: I have looked at slack water passage, but wondered whether it's possible to nip through 30 mins before that without too many issues - it would be very helpful to know if this is just not possible...

With sunset at 19:50, going through at 6:15-30ish would hopefully still allow enough daylight to cross Braydon and head for Burgh Castle (then back to Berney Castle if that's full).

But again, any advice would be brilliant - I am very grateful to you both for your input.

N.

Going south you can certainly go through before the slack water time, but remember the tidal flow past Yarmouth yacht station will be strong and it will be difficult to stop in a hurry if someone else does something daft, so keep your wits about you.

going north is harder because you would be pushing against a spring ebb from the river Bure. It can be done but expect to have the engine flat out an barely be making any way over the ground. 
My concern is that if you want to avoid going up and down the same stretch of river, you will be spending a lot of time plodding between Yarmouth and Acle and in my opinion, this is not the most stimulating stretch of river on the Network!

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Going south you can certainly go through before the slack water time, but remember the tidal flow past Yarmouth yacht station will be strong and it will be difficult to stop in a hurry if someone else does something daft, so keep your wits about you.

going north is harder because you would be pushing against a spring ebb from the river Bure. It can be done but expect to have the engine flat out an barely be making any way over the ground. 
My concern is that if you want to avoid going up and down the same stretch of river, you will be spending a lot of time plodding between Yarmouth and Acle and in my opinion, this is not the most stimulating stretch of river on the Network!

David

@Davydine

@CambridgeCabby

Again, very good advice - and as someone who has done a fair bit of yacht sailing, I do appreciate that gambling with winds, tides or moorings is definitely not to be recommended!

Many thanks for all of this. Your comment about Acle and Yarmouth echo what I have been told elsewhere - which is why I've planned, as much as possible, to do these bits 'en route' to the South. I definitely don't want to take any risks, but there is some advice here that seems to suggest that passing between low water and low water slack should be doable - so my plan for crossing at 6:15-6:30 (he says "I would try to keep to within 1 hour before low water and 2 hours after") seems do-able.

But please put me right if that is stupid...:default_icon_redface:

I have just been in touch with Joe, the manager of the Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle. I'm going to call him when I'm approaching Yarmouth and check on the availability of his moorings. Clearly, nothing can be guaranteed, but if he says he's empty, I'll make the crossing. If not, I'll overnight in Yarmouth (and suck up the £13 charge...:10_wink:)

I really do appreciate the time you are taking with all this.

N.