Hi There - Broads Next Week For A Short Break; Help With Itinerary...?!

Nucktheking

Just one thing, the tide tables are tides predicted a long way in advance based on average conditions. All sorts of meteorological conditions can throw those out, so I would recommend downloading the Aweigh app onto your phone so you can check a more up to date forecast on the day. Either that or phone Yarmouth Yacht Station to check their estimate of the tide.

16 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Just one thing, the tide tables are tides predicted a long way in advance based on average conditions. All sorts of meteorological conditions can throw those out, so I would recommend downloading the Aweigh app onto your phone so you can check a more up to date forecast on the day. Either that or phone Yarmouth Yacht Station to check their estimate of the tide.

Willyweather is also updated daily.

https://tides.willyweather.co.uk/ee/norfolk/norwich.html

Just to update, and close this.

We had the most AMAZING 4 days on the Broads. Weather was gorgeous (if BL**DY cold at night!) and there is no doubt that 'life at 4 mph' is incredibly relaxing.

Day 1 (afternoon/evening): Stalham - Horning. Had booked the Swan Inn for 6:45, and slightly worried when we arrived and there were no moorings. We could have doubled up, but weren't sure of the etiquette. We drove round for a bit, and then found a little pontoon downstream by St Benedict's church, where we moored. A brisk walk to the pub and a very decent meal.

Day 2: Decided to set off early so as to cross Yarmouth around High tide slack. Arrived around 12:30, and after calling the Yacht Station, went straight through with a good few inches to spare - only slightly terrifying, but we believed the height boards! Onto Berney, where we moored outside the pub, went for a short walk to the "least visited railway station in Great Britain 2020" (you have to see it to believe it!), then on to the Fisherman's Inn at Burgh Castle. Stayed there for much of the afternoon, enjoying a pint or few while we watched our boat drop. Managed to fall down into it, and spent the night.

Day 3: Once again, aiming to cross Yarmouth at as near to High Tide as possible. Raining, but we still made the 'loop' South of Burgh to St Olave's and then up to Reedham. Refilled water and wine, then back across Breydon. Wind and tide against, so a bit of a bumpy, wet journey: all alone on Breydon, and approached by a ranger to see what the hell we thought we were doing - once we explained we understood the tides and would call the Yacht Station before going under any bridges, he happily let us go. Now we knew the height gauges were reliable, we waltzed through with no worries. That afternoon, we made it to Ludham, lobbed the anchors out onto a suitable piece of ground and spent our first night 'wild moored'. Beautiful, quiet and calm.

Day 4: Set off for Wroxham, via Ranworth, which was our first experience of stern mooring. I think that the 'gently bump into next door boat, climb aboard and then pull yourself into mooring with ropes' is the accepted method for doing this - it worked for us anyway. Ranworth very pretty - church is lovely, and ice cream from the shop is recommended! Onto Wroxham - VERY busy and no chance (time and tide) of going through bridge, so we retraced our steps, and with a 9 am return in mind, headed North.

Booked table at Cross Keys in Dilham for 6:00pm, and arrived at 5:30. Very odd mooring amidst the houses, with the 'turning loop'. Had very acceptable couple of pints, pizza, fish and chips and then decided that we wanted to spend our last night somewhere a bit more solitary: so went back down the Ant, rejecting several sites until it was beginning to get a little dusky; then we found two trees which we could reach to sling ropes around, in the middle of nowhere, and that's where we stayed.

Day 5: Woke up with frost covering the boat, mist rising from the broad, and almost silence, apart from distant livestock and not-so-distant birds chirruping. A quick 30-minute motor around the corner back to Stalham (including VERY expert revering into small space - no need for 'bump, rope, pull' method) and our brief trip was over. (And we got £17.32 of our fuel deposit back!)

Thanks to all of you for such helpful and rapid responses to my questions - I did feel much more prepared and confident as a result of your advice.

We will be back!

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Hope the teenage son also enjoyed the slower pace of life.

He loved driving - especially when the 'adults' were having their post-lunch snooze... :default_biggrin:

Seriously, though: the time we had to just watch the world go by and chat about 'stuff' (everything and nothing) was something that I just don't think we would have had anywhere else. For example, we've been trying to (gently) get him to think about what he might do after sixth form, and he has always resisted the conversation. With me driving, and my friend chatting to him, they got to the point of him narrowing down both possible courses and locations.

Very precious.

• Like 5
  • Love 1