Not all speeders are hire-boats!

Hockham Admiral

If you use a boat that requires excessive speed (for the Broads) to maintain steerage, or if at legal speeds it creates excessive wash then it is the wrong boat for the Broads.

If you were not speeding or creating excess wash then you were entitled to continue.

I really don't think there is an excuse for creating the sort of wash that causes damage or creates upset (literally sometimes) to other users of the river. Our little boat has often been thrown around by the inconsiderate behaviour of a few - and you are quite right, they are not all hire boats by any means!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mr Broadsword I am amazed at the drivel I've just read. Firstly many of these unsuitable boats were built and designed for the Broads long before any speed limit existed as so

E of the worst washes you will ever see come from traditional Broads cruisers, then there is the maintaining steerage question. There is a very strong effort going on at the momentto bring commercial traffic back to the broads namely 100 to 150 gross ton vessels to carry sugar from Cantley who will require a minimum of 6 to 8 knots to maintain steerage. - not suitable? Well that is exactly the traffic that kept the Broads alive and thriving up until just a few decades ago

'that is exactly the traffic that kept the Broads alive and thriving'

So? There are many examples of industries and methods that kept Britain 'alive and thriving' for many years... many of them were also dangerous, highly polluting and arguably against human rights - Let's bring 'em all back shall we?

'Some of the worst wash comes from traditional Broads Cruisers'... And you used the word drivel?

YES some of the worst wash does come from Broads cruisers and there are many many examples still on hire fleets of fiberglass bath tubs that make unbelievable wash! Just for comparison, If I pottle along the river now in my current boat at 6mph I make no more than a ripple, but my first boat on the Broads - a little Birchwood 22 - made a wake you could surf off!

Many old wooden boats, which I always admire and enjoy seeing on the Broads are even worse!

So yes your post was drivel, nothing personal, but if you make a blanket statement, which is of course your own opinion, which you of course are welcome to air, you must also accept that not everyone will agree with you! :naughty:

Lastly, commercial traffic, I take it you havent noticed that rivers such as ours in France, Belgium and Holland (Not just the canals) support exactly that very type of traffic as again it is becoming a cost effective way of moving goods. It'll be nice to see sailys giving way to something for a change if they do return.... oh and speeding - does that mean that sailys have to stick to the speed limits as well??

MY Littlewash, your point about old hulls is quite sound - but it does not excuse your continuing nonsense. Yes there are old (and recent) designs that tend to make more wash than other, often newer, low-wash designs. (See the BA website on this topic if you can be bothered) However, many of the old designs, including the bath-tubs can be handled in such a way as to minimise the resulting wash. Others who use them regularly may support that comment (whether they do or not I couldn't really care, I won't lose sleep over you not agreeing with me) as may the owners/helms of some of the old wooden beauties.

The boats that create the worst wash are almost always the ones that are handled badly, driven at excessive speeds or are basically unsuitable in that they are not able to be handled at slow speeds.

G'night

MY Littlewash, your point about old hulls is quite sound - but it does not excuse your continuing nonsense. Yes there are old (and recent) designs that tend to make more wash than other, often newer, low-wash designs. (See the BA website on this topic if you can be bothered) However, many of the old designs, including the bath-tubs can be handled in such a way as to minimise the resulting wash. Others who use them regularly may support that comment (whether they do or not I couldn't really care, I won't lose sleep over you not agreeing with me) as may the owners/helms of some of the old wooden beauties.

The boats that create the worst wash are almost always the ones that are handled badly, driven at excessive speeds or are basically unsuitable in that they are not able to be handled at slow speeds.

G'night

And I'm not disagreeing with most of that at all and havent done, just criticized the earlier blanket statement... although there is alot of contoversy about a certain 'low wash' hull which is award winning in that it makes virtually no wash at all - unless you are doing 6mph or more and then it may as well be a water scoop - yes it is a subject I follow very closely

But lastly I will say, what you may see as unsuitable may be perfectly suitable for the individual owner for other reasons. We chose our boats because we like them, we spend more time in them not travelling than we do travelling and first and foremost that dictates what type of boat we have.. as for the owners of old wooden beauties, often they will be the first to tell you that! Goodnight to you to

The trouble is that people buy a broads based boat and expect to live a quiet, idylic life without noice, un-hindered passage and boating lake smooth waters.

This WILL NOT happen. In my experience most (95%) of river traffic will slow down when passing moored vessels. OK so some don't. But if you choose to be on board a boat you should be prepared and expect that occasionally life will become a bit bumpy.

I also have to agree with mylittle(broken)boat, sorry, the trad. broads cruisers can put up a very noticable wash particularly when hurrying to claim the last pub side mooring late afternoon.

I also have to agree with mylittle(nearly fixed but no money left)boat, sorry, the trad. broads cruisers can put up a very noticable wash particularly when hurrying to claim the last pub side mooring late afternoon.

:grin::grin: ...and usually then hurry straight into the space, straight into another boat!! :grin::grin:

rich, if you take the time to read my original post correctly it was NOT about "GRR damn speeders " but about private boats being just as likely to cause aggravation as hire boats... I was trying (obviously unsuccessfully with you) to take away the false idea that all speeders are hirers... two gunstwo gunstwo guns

whoaa i was just taking the heat off you coz i thought it was getting a little heated,

it was a general comment with no direction to you. sorry for trying to help.

it might be an idea to lock this thread as it's just getting heated,

i have no desire to upset anyone and i'm sure you guys feel the same

Rich

You can lock it if you like - if that's how things work around here... But if this is 'heated' you need to get out more!

Actually it wasn't really that heated at all - at least, not at my end! Challenging 'drivel' with 'nonsense' is just lively banter...

I am not sure my comments were a 'blanket statement' - in fact they left room for the many thousands of boats on the Broads that can be driven enjoyably, within the speeds laid down in the bye-laws without causing excess wash or being unable top steer!

I heard about a chap, let's call him 'Lewis' - he is stopped for speeding and dangerous use of a motor vehicle. 'But officer' he pleads, 'My car simply won't handle well on these narrow roads at low speeds... it accelerates so quickly and I am more comfortable when everyone is going in the same direction. Also, if I don't really open her up, the car tends to overheat!'

'Well' replied the officer, 'I wonder whether your car is really suitable for these roads?' - 'I don't know about that' answered 'Lewis', 'But it suits me!'

If I have offended MY Littleboat by robust discussion of a boating topic - my sincere apologies. I'll stick to silly jokes or trivia in future - or to sites that can cope!

No Broadie, I'm not offended at all as I'm probably the most robust person on here for debate and, as I conceded last night on certain points, never fully disagree with what is being said, however, I do like to 'stoke the fire of debate' from time to time... as for being heated and locked... crikey... Rod hasn't even spoken yet, because until he does (Being regarded as the NBN voice of reason) any debate is fair game!!

As for disagreement... If we were all together, this heated debate, would be far from 'heated' and more like a discussion on who is getting the next round of Humpty in (Other brews available and equally accepted!) :pirate

Mind you, if I see you out and about, I'm fitting my temporary 4' bowsprit :pirate

I'll lower my sharpest antenna, sounds like we have a good old fashioned joust coming on!! :grin:

As for the 'Lewis' story, this point always sticks in my mind;

Sterling Moss, in an interview once told the story that he had dined out for years after being pulled over driving through High Wycombe a little over the speed limit and maybe a bit more - when the Police Officer asked him to 'roll down the window' his opening gambit was "Who the hell do you think you are, Sterling Moss?"

Please not the suitable boat thing or we will limit the broads to small things with sails, a rudder and a keel, these are about the only things with steerage at 1mph. and how boring would the rivers be then :o

Shame they can't go in a straight line, preferring to obstruct any boat being helmed correctly and on the right side of the river, oh and if the steerage is that good how bad has a helm got to be to get it stuck in the reeds? :naughty::naughty:

I don't think you will find many boats that frequent the broads incapable of being used within the limits, with steerage and minimal wash, maybe the speed limit will need exceeding in exceptional circumstances, where flow is such from astern that, with steerage speed on top, 1 knot more may be required but if the flow is that great the wash will be minimal anyway.

Poor helmsmanship can be witnessed in any type of boat, it just normally has bedsheets hanging from it :naughty::grin::Stinkycheersbar

Please limit the broads to small things with sails, a rudder and a keel, these are about the only things with steerage at 1mph.

I tend to broadly agree with your suggestion, Senator, it certainly has merit. Although I think rowing craft should also be included.

I have spent many hours watching rowers toiling to head up hill at reedham. Somehow makes the pint taste much better.

The subject matter of this post is that "NOT ALL SPEEDERS ARE HIRE BOATS". There's a lot of transgression here.

I've posted before on this topic citing private boat owners as often being ignorant (perhaps arrogant) over their use of the (their?) rivers.

No, not all speeders are hire boats and, frankly it's those that are not who should be ashamed of themselves; they are the ones who have spent many thousands of pounds on a boat, thousands on moorings and insurance and tolls. They of all people should be very well aware of the rules of the river and the dangers they create with their wash.

Hire boaters, by contrast, will probably get behind the wheel of a boat only once a year and have a far lesser appreciation for what they're doing wrong.

Not that any of it is condoned.