Not all speeders are hire-boats!

Hockham Admiral

Far too correct to have any place in this conversation :naughty:

It is also the private owner that is more likely to be on the way to a destination rather than just enjoying the ride, as such with a purpose to push the limits rather than just doing it for the sake of it. Certainly not an excuse but a reason.

Given that the only contact a first time hirer is likely to have with the rules is at handover then, like it or not, it falls to the yard to educate as to the reason for the limits. It is not complex and should be within the understanding of even the most challenged of hirer if properly explained. from there the reasons you give become totally null and void. Or would the argument then go time pressure of mass handovers means that this is not feasible. At which point the yard becomes as guilty as the private owner trying to make a bridge, a lock or even a meeting with friends. cheersbar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also the private owner that is more likely to be on the way to a destination rather than just enjoying the ride, as such with a purpose to push the limits rather than just doing it for the sake of it. Certainly not an excuse but a reason.

I don't agree at all. I have unlimited time to idle along at 1400rpm regardless of time constraints... (about 5mph through the water) with little wake.

On the contrary some places suggest a week of 5-8 hour days which I would never dream of attempting... recently, in Norwich, I asked a hirer where he was next bound for... "The far reaches of the Northern Broads" to paraphrase his reply!

With all due respect John your current position is not the same as those that have only a weekend, probably arrive on a Friday evening and have arranged a sea trip, as such having a lock or bridge time to make, or maybe a meet up with friends at a time on Saturday. They then have a boat to get back to its home berth on Sunday and possibly a 2 or 3 hour drive back home in the car ready for work and school first thing Monday morning.

If a retired / semi retired and able to spend a large amount or even unlimited time on the boat then yes I would agree, you are probably much more likely to amble along at very low speed, and consequently less likely to push the limits than anyone else. cheersbar

They of all people should be very well aware of the rules of the river and the dangers they create with their wash.

And thats the line I have an issue with because the point of my earlier post was that speeding isnt always directly related to wash, I guarantee if im doing 7 or 8 mph through the water I'll be making far less wash than many bathtubs will at 5 or 6...

That said, I too agree with Ian in that with SO many problems getting from A to B on the Broads times are becoming far too crucial. We have just had another weekend where Somerleyton Bridge has been closed, which means a trip out of Yarmouth for a lift at a scheduled time - a 25 min sea journey, A bridge lift at a scheduled time, a half hour estuary journey and a lock costing £11 at a specified time as well as another swing bridge before the lock, just to get where you want to be - cost if it goes wrong - a night in the RNSYC £26 plus all the extra fuel you've used....

Maybe if the BA were a little more aggresive at keeping on top of the likes olf NR then this is one situation that would ease the 'must get there' feeling felt be private owners.

But to some degree I also agree with Freedom and John in that handover time hirers are told at this RPM you are doing roughly 5 and at that RPM 6, and then you get to the bit about currents and most hirers will have already reached saturation point and so yes, I do agree that sometimes they are innocent speeders, however there are also the 'push it as fast as it goes' hirers too - and a good deal of them at that!

Private boats aren't that innocent either, however, normally if you do see one 'nicking a bit' off the speed limit, they usually drop it completely off before reaching, or their wash reaching moored boats - thats just my experience!

As for Ians points regarding Sailies, there are many who quite frankly have a complete disregard for private motor boats are can be bloody grumpy too, I really appreciate being given a 'thankyou' when ensuring that any sail boats has the water it requires, however, as there are inexperienced motorboat helms, there are also inexperienced and sometimes just plain ignorant wind driven helms and only a week ago I saw a bow sprit embedded inbetween the back end and the tender of a moored motorboat

In short, there are good and bad in every class, but to say the thread is about 'Not Every Speeder...' and then say we are OT is missing the point that often topics diversify through debate and that is a strong point on this forum that it isn't policed with a fist of iron and we can have a serious debate, inject a bit of a giggle and then get back on topic without too many people getting upset! I rest my case - unless I decide not to a little later on and reinstate it!!! :Stinky

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Fishermen are unsoiciable

Woodies are elitist

But then Hirers are just Hullaballoos.

OI, BUGGER OFF YOU :lol::lol: , we hired a woodie from Maffetts a couple of weeks ago, and nobody can say i`m elitest, am i`m certainly NOT a sodding hullabaloo :lol::lol: , and i`m always friendly and willing to chat when i`m dangling my maggott :lol::lol:

Nice to meet you on Friday Rod :wave:wave . Regardsto you and Shirly ................. Neil.

All I can say with a single cylinder Yanmar the only river we can speed on is the Chet, but I thought the idea was to get nowhere slowly and just enjoy the surroundings and the next pub.

Getting there slowly is more fun than getting there!

Paul

Ps just got rid of my 180mph car for a slow 150mph one.