Fridge Engineer?

coolcat

Finally got back to the boat after lockdown was eased.

Happy to report that in the main she has emerged from her three month period of 'neglect' fairly unscathed !

She is in need of a proper good clean but that can wait until it's a bit warmer. .

The two main problems are that the manual toilet does not seem to be pulling water up. It's flushing without water but when trying to pump water into the bowl it feels like there is an airlock and the handle when pushed down springs back up.

For the moment I can just use fresh water from the shower head to fill the bowl until such time as I can work out what is wrong.....Plumber I most definitely am not.

The main problem is the fridge. Before lockdown it had intermittently started to play up where the thermostat did not seem to switch off. Fridge just would keep on running until everything was frozen solid. 

This was first noticed when I came back to the boat to find a particularly nice bottle of bubbly had exploded inside the fridge:default_shocked1animated:

I did try electrical contact spray on the thermostat but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Sometimes it would work ok but I started to make sure I turned it off after a few hours of running to act as a sort of manual stat so to speak!

Anyhow, got back to the boat and switched it on. Got cold as normal and switched it off overnight. Switched back on the next morning and all seemed fine. Went to the fridge that afternoon and noticed the inside light was off and the icebox had defrosted. 

The power switch and breaker on the swtich panel are all working fine but the fridge is dead. 

Didn't have time to pull it out but will do this weekend when I'm next back on board.

I'm guessing there is probably a fuse at the back of the fridge (which I can replace) but that doesn't solve the ongoing problem.

Anyone on here know of someone who can repair 12 volt marine fridges,  before I have to plump on spending a lot of money on a new one?:default_icon_eek:

Hi Has inlet pipe have a shut of valve and is it open failing that remove hose from toilet and blow through it if clear a little cheap vegetable oil in the pan will lubricate the seals and makes pumping a lot smoother and easier.   fridge check fuse by removing/ twisting /cleaning/ end contacts then apply a smear of vaseline then check battery voltage( is battery fully charged and no dead cells especially if it hasn't been on a maintenance float charge over lay up, then the voltage at the fridge, it's always the ends/contacts then turn state up and down can you hear a click if these are all ok a new fridge could be cheaper than trying to get this one repaired. John

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Has inlet pipe have a shut of valve and is it open failing that remove hose from toilet and blow through it if clear a little cheap vegetable oil in the pan will lubricate the seals and makes pumping a lot smoother and easier.   fridge check fuse by removing/ twisting /cleaning/ end contacts then apply a smear of vaseline then check battery voltage( is battery fully charged and no dead cells especially if it hasn't been on a maintenance float charge over lay up, then the voltage at the fridge, it's always the ends/contacts then turn state up and down can you hear a click if these are all ok a new fridge could be cheaper than trying to get this one repaired. John

13 minutes ago, coolcat said:

Hi John,

Inlet valve to toilet is open......Blowing through sounds fun :default_shocked1animated:

Always use a little Olive Oil (I'm posh) and toilet has been fine for the last three years.....Until nw eek!

Leisure batteries all fine as all other systems including inverter working normally. We are on shore power thankfully so things like charger, tube heaters, dehumidifier and on board MiFi/CCTV all have been running throughout lockdown.

The stat had been playing up as previously mentioned, not clicking on/off regardless of setting and then sometimes working okay for weeks on end. Now fridge dead as a Do Do. 

I'll pull her out when I'm next up and double check that it has got power. Even if that is just a connection or fuse issue that still won't cure the ongoing fault. My fridge having an identity crisis and morphing itself into a freezer!

I would have thought replacement thermostats, compressors etc would be an easy fix considering the prohibitive prices that new (small) marine fridges go for......Then again, maybe not !

It sounds like a thermostat problem go on line with make model ect and see what comes up, as you are on a mooring instead of blowing try connecting the water hose to your inlet pipe a short length of copper pipe will suffice this will unblock/flush through any growth that might be there also pump handle with inlet hose disconnected see if any change,could try tipping some veg oil into suction hose connector. if these dont work strip down pump assemble only pozy screws with rubber seals when reassembling smear with vaseline and the screw threads John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annv said:

Just to add you could try turning thermostat dial back and forth it could just be contacts on bimetallic strip corroded or if able use nail file to clean points. John

Sadly not, tried that and also contact cleaner on the potentiometer to no avail.

switch cleaner doesn't work as it won't break of the crud that builds up when point arc, diamond switch file or nail file, if not a  new thermostat or complet fridge BUT!! check wiring and connectors on fridge first before you lash out. John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, annv said:

switch cleaner doesn't work as it won't break of the crud that builds up when point arc, diamond switch file or nail file, if not a  new thermostat or complet fridge BUT!! check wiring and connectors on fridge first before you lash out. John

Certainly will......I'm feeling cheap is the better option if I can help it:default_biggrin:

Quick progress report from the boat.

We now have a functioning toilet .....

Seacock/inlet  was open but a bit of vigorous back on forth and pumping (oh err) got the flow going again 😊

Fridge.....Em!

No power to back of fridge. Trip and switch on panel all working as should but no 12 volts at the connection behind fridge.

I have the boats schematics here. The cable from switch panel goes into the engine room but sadly somewhere along that path the cable has been replaced as the colours don’t marry up to the wiring diagram .

I’ll meter all the cables through and hopefully find out what is what.

Of course that doesn’t solve the problem of the fridge stat not working properly in the first place so I’ll need to address that issue as well.

In the meanwhile, lunch at the Bridge for me shortly and then the small matter of the Italian Grand Prix to watch this afternoon.

Sky Go is a useful thing .

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 13:09, annv said:

Hi it's good practice to have a 50 amp wire direct from battery swich through a fuze straight to fridge. John

Thanks for that,

I shall further investigate when back on board.

In the meanwhile ........Anyone selling a 50 litre fridge on here? Mine has been looked at and it's terminal. 

I have put a post up in the 'Wanted' section. Worth an ask before buying a new one at their rather silly prices.

• 4 weeks later...

New fridge arrives tomorrow.

JPC sadly didn't have any in stock so it's coming from Jacksons Leisure Supplies.

It's an Isotherm Cruise 49 elegance for anyone interested. It was £505 plus another £49 for the flush fitting kit.

I'll be fitting it over next weekend hopefully:default_smile:

11 hours ago, coolcat said:

New fridge arrives tomorrow.

JPC sadly didn't have any in stock so it's coming from Jacksons Leisure Supplies.

It's an Isotherm Cruise 49 elegance for anyone interested. It was £505 plus another £49 for the flush fitting kit.

I'll be fitting it over next weekend hopefully:default_smile:

No doubt the hinges will be wrong way around, ours were which all adds to the fitting time. Our broken fridge lasted less than a day in the marina refuge compound, it was the same with the old toilet. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

No doubt the hinges will be wrong way around, ours were which all adds to the fitting time. Our broken fridge lasted less than a day in the marina refuge compound, it was the same with the old toilet. 

Luckily the door is pre hung the same as the old one fridge.....One less job to do :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamElla said:

I like to pull things apart to see how they work. Plus I could use parts as spares for our Waeco.

Do you want to sell your broken fridge?

Sorry,

Broken fridge has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky !

Just an update.

Fridge is in................Sort of!

Well, it's up and running so that's all good.

What I thought would be a straight swap turned out to be anything but.

The bulkhead behind the fridge had an opening that allowed some of the old fridge to pass through. The old fridge sat proud in it's fixing as to open it the catch was on the top of the door.

The new fridge has it's door mechanism on the front so I thought, wouldn't it be nice to flush mount it.

So.......I bought a flush mounting kit. What I had forgotten in my excitement was to allow for that extra inch of depth that was now needed.

Luckily, my friend and boat neighbour here lives local and had a jigsaw at home. Well, a few broken blades later (six!!!!) and we just had a little more to cut when his Jigsaw decided to get hot, make horrible noises and commit Hari-kari.

So......Fridge at this moment is freestanding. I will be up again this Bank Holiday armed with a new jigsaw to replace my friends deceased one,  plus my one for finishing the job.

The good news though.................Beer is cold once more on board Lady Emma :default_beerchug:

Don't blame me for the choice of beer, it's all I had :default_icon_e_biggrin:

51201858808_93764323d7_o.jpg

51200670421_4deba7ab7c_o.jpg

51200671356_75ee265793_o.jpg

51201736520_3b032cc6a6_o.jpg