mid week break in may

hi members i did put a brief description of our holiday on private hire discussions but have decided to put down the whole holiday, more of a talker than a writer so here goes.our holiday started in corby at the holiday inn got a room for £35 so couldnt resist had a very good nite on the 20th may good food and nice lounge area can recommend for a short stay.

Saturday we moved from corby to premier inn north ipswich to meet my daughter and family who live in suffolk .we stayed at the premier inn 2 nites very good value . monday 23rd may is the big day we pick up the boat from wroxham fair viscoint 1 from faircraft . went to reception at 11 am i knew it was early re picking up the boat a very nice young lady said give me your mobile i will ring as soon as you can board .we went to roys cafe had a brew and a mooch about, my phone rang at 12-15 not long after are on board and getting the pre take over talk from a thoroughly nice guy . everything ok we are off to potter . moored at potter at the free moorings on repps side one mooring space was free and this was 4pm ish it was blowing a gale without the help from a nice guy on a ricko boat i dont think we would have managed it.

a walk to the falgate for food the portions are massive and very tasty ,service could have been quicker if the barmaid didnt have about 3 jobs :o .a nightcap on the boat then bed .

we rise on the tuesday 24th may still very windy but warm and sunny, a walk to the pilots office tells us we can go under bout 11 am this we duly did nice guy the pilot cool as a cucumber 2 inches to spare !!

we have a lovely cruise up to hickling it gets a bit choppy on hickling so angela my wife insist we moor up at horsey ,she said hickling was like being on the sea ,good job we hadnt gone to breydon !!never been to horsey mill on a boat so knew nothing about the dyke on approaching there was mooring space on the right i said to angela i can see a mooring spot farther in the dyke which we approached i then said i will turn her round ready to get out next day !!! :( i didnt know the max turning circle was 27 foot and we are on a 31 footer ,after a series of forward and aft shunts it was clear we wasnt turning around.fortunately a very nice guy in a moored yacht had seen our dilemma and helped to rectify the mess i had put us in ,at least now we are back towards the entrance to the dyke making it easier to get out next day .

i decided i wanted to be bow facing the dyke entrance for next morning easier said the done the wind was horrendous i had little or no control on where the boat went eventually i got a calm few minutes and managed to reverse out and back in . :clap

we had a lovely walk to the beach hoping to see the seals it was very rough out at sea was impossible to see any if they had been there,we walked back to the boat freshened up and walked to the nelson head a lovely old inn,the barmaid was very friendly i felt like i was a regular, dont try the farm scrumpy one guy said to me i said i have experience of scrumpy and will n ot be having that !!food was very popular with lots of diners we had decided to eat on board so after 2 or 3 we headed back to the boat had a lovely salmon salad in a beautiful location swans ducks geese all around the boat/

wednesday 25th may we have a nice breakfast on the boat top pulled back very nice fresh air and the sound of nature nothing else ,we head back down to potter the pilot is very busy with other craft had to wait a while which gave us chance to stock up on supplies and the usual fudge and biscuits for gifts .

the plan is now to go to neatishead after not very long my wife is getting bored i must admit she wasnt 100% in love with this holiday she felt she was roughing it !! we moored up at womack water a lovely spot and also the benefit of the kings arms at ludham superb food and drink ,.

thursday 26th may after feeding the wildlife we are off to ranworth ,we arrive at ranworth iuts very busy with no staithe mooring,after about half an hour a boat moved off and we moored up getting the hang of it now even the wife helped !we had a walk to the church and climbed the tower worthwhile the views are splendid we metb a couple on the top of the tower who told us they had a shetland 370 ? they sleep on the boat no heating etc so my wife said what ! no heating no shower no toilet ?? and i said to my wife angela and you thought you was roughing it !!!very nice people as we found with m ost boaters .

it was time to move on the plan is coltishall have an evening meal brekky on friday then boat back to wroxham friday morn has we approached wroxham angela had had enough and wanted to moor overnite in the baotyard this we did .

i had read something about the shed at wroxham it was advertised as a nice drinking place with lots of realale i was determined to find it as it was our last nite so off we went thinking it was down by the bridge ,i asked a guy at roys of wroxham , he said the shed ,thats at stalham too far to walk,i said thanks but knew he was wrong we asked 2 other people who sent us on a wild goose trail ,eventually we found it around the corner from where we are moored the misses went mad we had been walking for an hour !! it was worth finding a really nice place gr8 people and staff.

we are getting hungry the barmaid tells us she will order a take out and we can eat it in the shed and she will provide plates and cutlery for a quid ,a good offer but the wife wants to have a look what eating places are open.we find the star of india on the bridge gr8 curries and very cheap . that was our last nite it was a mixed holiday i enjoyed it the wife was ok with it it will be repeated but not for a year or 2 .we had gr8 weather apart from the wind but that is better than the rain!!! thanks for reading , cheersbar