Our House.

13 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

So how many of you have looked this up on the for sale site and have 4 houses that it could be?

Never even occurred to me. But someone I know tracked down my house from a few details when I moved. It made me very aware of just how easy that can be!

In some ways I think that you’re better off being outside the Broadland area.  When we were looking and within our budget, we found a bungalow in Ludham, which was a preferred location, but it was small, needed totally renovating and was in a tiny plot.  There was a lovely bungalow in Martham that we both liked, in a good sized plot, but the property itself would have been too small and one in Hoveton that looked a bit like a chalet on a holiday park, that also needed much work.

With the wife needing to travel to Towcester once a week for her job, we settled on the Watton area as a target and found what we wanted in a village just a couple of miles away.  It is in need of refurbishment, having been home to a lady of 95 previously, however we got it at a favourable price allowing us scope to update to our tastes within our budget.  There is much to do, but a new boiler has already been installed, kitchen and bathroom refits booked and other works planned, including to the neglected garden.

Good luck with your move.  The area around Thetford Forest offers much scope for some walking and local sightseeing.  Brundall will be about an hour away, so easier to get to your boat and you will be close to places like Ely, Newmarket, Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge and Norwich for other days out.

Enjoy it.  Forget the difficulties of the past year and look forward to a new start, retirement and the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just brought a second  hand mobility scooter.Not easy walking for long periods. Thanks we look forward  to going to other places. Building wise it doesn't need much doing. And because its below our budget we can add some nice bits and bobs

• Like 1

Weeting is quite nice from what I remember, although it's a while since I've been there. Getting on for 20 years ago I was going out with a girl from Brandon and we popped to Weeting Castle a few times, seemed like a pleasant spot.

Also the good news is I think Weeting is technically in Norfolk, though it is right on the border.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Also the good news is I think Weeting is technically in Norfolk, though it is right on the border.

Brandon is south of the tail of the Little Ouse so technically in Suffolk but Weeting being North of the Ouse is definitely in Norfolk. Thetford straddles the Little Ouse but was annexed into Norfolk in 1835.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Some things are meant to be.I said to the chap who's  house it was,that I was a Chef he said so was I. He's name Alan.He's son Ian and we will be closer to where my Dads buried and my Mums ashes in Bedford. 

This made me chuckle. In our house Dad is Graham and eldest son Harry. Next door we have Dad Harry and his son is called Graham. Of course, the sons have grown up now, but we've been neighbours since the 1980s. 

• Haha 1

The Little Ouse from Brandon is a delight to cruise. You can hire from Bridge Boatyard in Ely. Who knows you might get the RGO bug and move your boat for a couple of seasons. Personally I love the quiteness of the tributaries and Lodes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

8Will give day hire a look. We are considering a new boat.SK,is a lovely  boat,but without  shore power its a disadvantage. Are looking at one with shore power.

Couldn’t you have shore power installed on SK?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yes we could  but we will see whats out there.

Not a lot at the moment.  I don’t think I’ve seen NYA’s website with so few craft available.  The prices have generally gone up, too.   I think the market will be flooded with them in a couple of years, when holidays abroad become more easy to access again and ‘staycationers’ cash in their assets.

• Like 1

The Brecks have a very large advantage over the NE coastal area where I live in Norfolk. You are not driving for at least an hour before you are heading in the direction you want to go. This is particularly so if getting round The Wash to travel north. Prices are also starting to overheat and get silly on the North Norfolk coastal area.

• Like 1

Think your not wrong.We viewed seven properties last week.We saw the good,bad and ugly. The best was our first  viewing. Good price and location. Our offer was not accepted sadly.The rest in the main were poor.Okay its a bit further across then I hoped.That said our new house  is in a good spot.

Things moving along now Sold signs on both houses. Legal stuff getting there. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Things moving along now Sold signs on both houses. Legal stuff getting there. 

Great news Ian. Just hope there is no extensive chain ahead of your vendor.

Your Norfolk dream hopefully happens soon.

When we looked for a house up here in Norfolk, it was outside the Not A National Park, because it was cheaper and fewer planning restrictions. Big garden for the dogs needed..

As we were effectively cash buyers, we caused the chain above us to suddenly advance.. Usual problems with incompetent Solicitors..

I drove 1500 miles on 3 trips from MK up and around Norfolk,  house hunting, not much online then.. Had to go from estate agent to estate agent.. Found this place on the last trip..

Within sight of the Broads from our garden.. close enough.

hope all the moves mentioned above go well..

• Thanks 1

This weekend, with the help of our daughter and son in law. We cleared the loft.Boy what a lot of stuff. Lots of memories ,photos going back to when I was a baby, some of my father.Sadly I never got to know him.He passed away when I was 18 months old.He was 36.

What surprised me was two sets of Norfolk  Inn signs.One for my mum,one for mum in law.The surprise being some years back thanks to Alan aided by Ian (Broadscot ) Alan got me a set,I completely forgot  I got some for the mums. For the last few weeks I've developed a troublesome cough. Today I phoned to arrange a phone consultation with a GP.As yet no call. With cases dropping, why I can't see a Doctor,which is five minutes from home is beyond  me.

Two sets for mums. My one is up stairs 

20210510_193523.jpg

• Like 2