Our House.

Very frustrating when there is delay, we had something similar whe we bought this house. We  had a chain of 6 up in Yorkshire. It's usually the bottom of the chain that is most likely to go pearshaped but in our  case it was the 2nd from  bottom that suddenly pulled out causing the builders we were buying from to pull the house from under us. We were gutted at the time but it turned to be for the best as the house  we subsequently bought was far superior and during the delay we moved out of our house and onto the boat for a couple of months. We liked it so much we almost cancelled the house!

Carole

• Like 2

Hope it starts to pick up pace Ian. We had delays too, further down the chain. They decided to change their mortgage lender and that held things up. I reckon we lost at least a month over that.

Good to hear that you’re feeling on the mend. 

• Like 1

The only ones holding us up.Is the house  in Suffolk. When we first  spoke to the son.He said his dad would  move on with them.Then they would  buy a plot of land and build on it.Now it turns  out,they have only just brought  a house, but only at the start of the process. 

Wow what a day.So we visited  the house.Fits the bill,yes a bit more money two bed not three.That said ready to move in.Chain free The owner has moved to Stalham.So it's empty. Completely redecorated, new carpets, very little  work needed.Its in Martham.Sadly the house  in Suffolk  was not going  to work.Lots of problems which would have cost lots of money, they were not straight with us.,so we pulled out ,put an offer in for Martham which has been accepted. 

• Like 8

So Martham!

Makes you a real Norfolkian then. Not a border dweller after all

Congrats glad you found something to your liking.

Mind you have a childhood friend lives in Martham funny people there.

I'm joking of course and enjoy their annual scarecrow festival

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

So Martham!

Makes you a real Norfolkian then. Not a border dweller after all

Congrats glad you found something to your liking.

Mind you have a childhood friend lives in Martham funny people there.

I'm joking of course and enjoy their annual scarecrow festival

Should  fit in then,we're a bit funny  too:default_biggrin:

We’ve driven through Martham a few times, and it did cross my mind that it looks a great village to live in. It looked like there were good local amenities. Hope this one works out for you. Sometimes the first thing you were aiming for doesn’t work out, but for a reason. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

We’ve driven through Martham a few times, and it did cross my mind that it looks a great village to live in. It looked like there were good local amenities. Hope this one works out for you. Sometimes the first thing you were aiming for doesn’t work out, but for a reason. 

We found a great bungalow in Martham that needed no work and in a lovely location, but when we thought about it a bit more, it was too small and would have made the wife’s weekly trip to work in Towcester much longer than from where we eventually settled.  It does seem an ideal village,  near to the rivers and coast, but outside the Broadland ‘hotspots.’

• Like 1

We definitely paid for location. Our bungalow has needed more doing to it than we expected. Takes a while to find people to do things and of course lockdown hasn’t helped. 

Looking forward to hearing when you’re finally up here Ian. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Spent a few Bob this morning. The other day we saw some furniture, which made us think.So this morning, we brought a glass cabinet, side board  and a two nest set of tables. I asked if they deliver to Belvedere yes,then I asked if they deliver  to Norfolk a slight delay in answering, yes we can.So for three items and delivery just under 18 hundred  pounds. It's good quality not flat pac.Very pleased,should  look good in the new house. Just need smelling salts and a lay down now.:default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just when you think things are going well! Yesterday  our solicitor sent us an email.Following  questions regarding the new house. 19 of which, none as yet have been answered. The solicitor  sent the questions to the owners solicitor  on the 7th September. Our buyer is putting  pressure  on us to complete  by the end of the month, due to stamp duty  holiday ending.I don't understand  why none of these questions  have been answered. I do hope at least  some questions are answered today.If not we may have to use the thumb screws!

7 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Just when you think things are going well! Yesterday  our solicitor sent us an email.Following  questions regarding the new house. 19 of which, none as yet have been answered. The solicitor  sent the questions to the owners solicitor  on the 7th September. Our buyer is putting  pressure  on us to complete  by the end of the month, due to stamp duty  holiday ending.I don't understand  why none of these questions  have been answered. I do hope at least  some questions are answered today.If not we may have to use the thumb screws!

You have my sympathy Ian.  I know from our own experience, that solicitors don’t rush.  We started to answer questions relating to our sale and purchase in December and the final ones delaying the process weren’t eventually answered by other parties until early March.  It was incredibly frustrating, but I guess like most things that aren’t happening at the moment, the pandemic will still be used as an excuse.

On a different subject, the cooker we ordered for our boat in June, is still not available.  Apparently, there is a shortage of the ignition devices causing the delay, which has been exacerbated by Brexit and massive increases in import taxation.

Re questions, I asked our solicitor  what was not answered, she sent me all the questions. Some for the owner,some for he's  solicitor. Many of which,quite  simple to answer. 

The property  is empty, it appears  he's only had it for six months. Guess what they term in property  TV programmes as flipping a property. We're not really in a chain.Our buyer in a first time buyer,we are mortgage  free,and our seller is in another  house. It's just legal stuff.

• Like 1

solicitors charge by the hour, and the shortest time they bill is 5 minutes for reading an email, during my divorce that was £15 an email, then another £15 when they sent a read receipt, so often, if you have a good solicitor they will try and condense as much as possible into the one email, thus the sellers solicitor my be waiting until they have all the answers before sending their response, ie they may be waiting on one answer that is delaying the other 18.

• 3 weeks later...

At long last we completed yesterday. A few hiccups along the way.Some legal stuff, but now all done.We've given some dates,week after next or last week of the month. Spoke yesterday with the removal company. Dates suggested  okay.Marina has over recent weeks packed most things.I'm surprised she hasn't packed the cats Regarding the cats.They will go into  the cattery down here before we move,then after a few days will pick them up so they join us in our new home.So with the move I've completed a circle. My first visit to Norfolk  was Martham back in the sixties. So looking forward  to the move.

• Like 10
  • Love 1