Going Off At Dawn Stopping At Dusk

Andrewcook

Can any One  from Hiring and Private Boats start Cruising as soon as Dawn Breaks ? As to Hiring Boats they must stop as soon it's getting Dusk as they are not allowed Night  Cruising except Private Boats with Navigation Lights are allowed.As I've found when I'm on the Broads a few Hiring Boats going beyond Dusk as that is Breaking the Insurance Rules and River Bylaws I believe? 

On a hire boat you are restricted to cruising from dawn (sun up) and have to be moored up by dusk (sunset) , a private boat has no such restrictions provided they are displaying navigation lights .

If you wish to set off as soon as the sun is up then there are no reasons not to on a hire boat but please be considerate to those around you who may be asleep and slip your moorings as quietly as you can and motor away at a slow pace so as not to cause unnecessary wake thereby disturbing others  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

On a hire boat you are restricted to cruising from dawn (sun up) and have to be moored up by dusk (sunset) , a private boat has no such restrictions provided they are displaying navigation lights .

Dawn is when the morning light starts to appear and is roughly 1/2 hour before sunrise. Similarly dusk is when light finally disappears and is roughly 1/2 hour after sunset. Most hire companies specify you can cruise from dawn till dusk rather than sunrise to sunset.

We once picked up a hire boat on the canals. It was November and I'd planned to stop at a pub we could get to before dark. As we were leaving the owner of the yard asked where we were heading. I said where and he suggested there was a much nicer pub a bit further on - if we didn't mind boating after dark! He was even nice enough to phone the pub and book us a table.

We hire regularly in December and do try to make the most of the daylight hours. We invariably set off at sunrise and moor up to make sure we arrive before sunset. Happily no risk of disturbing others as we invariably have the mooring to ourselves! But I fully endorse not disturbing others by anti social engine running. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

In winter you get a bit longer either side of sunrise/sunset as long as the sky is clear as the sun is moving at a shallower angle to the horizon.

That's very true. We use Strowagers excellent tide tables which also have sun rise and set times. It's usually safe to set off in a morning provided the sky is clear and the light is good which can be a bit before the rise time.