Broken Down On Wroxham Island

Oh dear.

I doubt you will be the only one to break down though. Lots of  boats that have been sat around for a long time and won't take too kindly to being asked to wake up again.

Fingers crossed it is nothing too serious.

• Like 2

Hopefully. I don’t want to start swinging spanner’s and make anything worse but the absence of any signs of firing, smooth running the night before and occasional pop sounds when I try to start and I’m thinking timing chain jumping or head gasket filled a cylinder. 
This mooring has room only for one and I feel a bit guilty for staying longer than 24hr but there you go. 
preparing for open wallet surgery 

• Sad 1

Stop thinking the worse and think simple cure, a head gasket or timing chain is unlikely based on what you say. Guess you could check battery connections are all tight for a start while you wait and a look in the engine bay for a clear plastic fuel filter with any signs of having a fuel/ water mix in it and don`t feel guilt about the mooring.

• Like 1

Well, due to BSS you can’t have a glass/plastic filter bowl in engine bay so I can’t see and owing to space requirements didn’t bring basic tool kit ( I forgot to pack it, I know) and this metal bowl has a nut arrangement that I’m going to change for a Reccor unit when I get back. 
still waiting!

hi chessy did you change fuel filter end of year did you drain water of fuel tank before you used it this year, if so undo air bleed valve.  and hand pump fuel through if no resistance on pump turn engine over 1/2 a stroke as pump my be on top of cam, or wait mechance. John

32 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The moral of the story is always have a toolkit on board so you can go through the basics before having to call someone.

Also spare fuel filters and impellors.

Oh so true. 
when on the sea, used to have a copy of everything spares wise. I guess I became complacent with the recovery service cover and the gentle nature of the Broads  plus the need for space in car

37 minutes ago, annv said:

hi chessy did you change fuel filter end of year did you drain water of fuel tank before you used it this year, if so undo air bleed valve.  and hand pump fuel through if no resistance on pump turn engine over 1/2 a stroke as pump my be on top of cam, or wait mechance. John

Less than 20 hours on engine since we bought it. The engine was serviced then. It was scheduled for June when we have a 3 weeker. If it’s the fuel then it’s going to be a big lesson learnt 

I know nothing about diesel engines and fuel lines etc. So please forgive me for stating what must be the first thing you probably checked but just in case... Is the engine stop thingy pushed all the way back in.

We have all done it at least once, me more than once... not trying to be a smart ar**

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

I know nothing about diesel engines and fuel lines etc. So please forgive me for stating what must be the first thing you probably checked but just in case... Is the engine stop thingy pushed all the way back in.

We have all done it at least once, me more than once... not trying to be a smart ar**

You’re not the only one to do that - more than once! :default_dunce:

• Like 2

Well still here but we elected to be towed back tomorrow morning. 
The engine had a major life ending event and is now an ex bmc 1.8 

the great fitters from Sutton pronounced its death and we are awaiting autopsy. 

less than 20 hours cruising time on engine since we bought the boat. 
Better get ready for some open wallet surgery 

• Sad 15

4 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Well still here but we elected to be towed back tomorrow morning. 
The engine had a major life ending event and is now an ex bmc 1.8 

the great fitters from Sutton pronounced its death and we are awaiting autopsy. 

less than 20 hours cruising time on engine since we bought the boat. 
Better get ready for some open wallet surgery 

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

Not a great start to the season!

• Like 1

Hi Cheesy 69 I'm very sorry to know you broke down at Wroxham and awaiting for a Tow back to he Boat  yard . I do hope it can be Resuscitated with a few Electric shocks once found Out the cause of the problem not too big I hope not with out you Cheesey 69 having to use a J C for the hole in the wall job

Well, due to BSS you can’t have a glass/plastic filter bowl in engine bay so I can’t see

Erm, yes you can, we have one onboard 'B.A' that is BSS compliant, and passed the last BSS inspection no problem

Are you are gonna have to shop around for a replacement engine or can it be repaired ?

Griff

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

'Fuel Guard' Decontaminator / Water Separator Model FGD100 suitable for engines up to 150 bhp - Water Separation - Industrial (fuel-guard.co.uk) 

See through and BSS compliant

Griff

Of course you are right, but it depends on the examiner seeing that it’s BSS compliant. An all metal affair is best for passing but that might be an hangover from my canal days. 
The engine angle depends on the diagnosis. 
To be honest, the lump in it looks like a new cylinder head bolted onto another crankcase with new/recon injectors and it even had spray paint bleeding out onto the belts. 
this was confirmed by Richardson’s fitter who came out to tighten a leak off pipe on the day of sea trial. 
The fitters who came out to me yesterday,noticed 5mm valve clearances on two cylinders and the others was not far behind, only cylinder four seemed right. 
Tentative guess is that the camshaft may have eaten the bearings but if it has he has never seen it before in an engine so young. 
Either way I’m awaiting a tow and I will need to talk to Richardson’s because less than 30 hours cruising time on an engine is nothing. 
A recon lump is definitely on the cards.