Broken Down On Wroxham Island

If it's got the cav type filter housings they are a sod for ending up with 2 o-rings in the top section causing an air leak, you can't always tell if the old one is still in place if in a slightly tricky position so the second one distorts and allows air in, filters are often in a place high enough to get a decent jug under for filter changes so you never get to see diesel leak out, just air gets in.

• Like 1

Hi Chessey If you need to find a fuel leak, undo the top pipe connection attach a length of plastic hose with a funnel on the end then with fuel supply tap turned off poor fuel into funnel and watch to see if level drops if it does so leaking connection will show up by damp patch off fuel, if no leak is seen it most likely to be diaphragm in pump remove screws around cover lift of then depress diaphragm tilting shaft outwards and remove replace with new. John

7 hours ago, gancanny said:

lift pump

I replaced the lift pump on my BMC this year and although it would start it would only run at idle put on any revs and 15 minutes later it would die, rebleed and repeat.  I eventually borrowed a pump from a working engine and it ran fine. Although the pump was new it did not work on my engine even though Boulter’s had fitted it to other BMC engines without problems.

A new pump ordered from Calcutta boats and fitted and have had no further problems.  See the difference in the arm that contacts the cam the old one is the correct one for my engine.  

AE4668E4-E613-4645-8A30-2864856CF2E7.jpeg

CD9686FB-105A-47BD-B0E5-FE49C81AD848.jpeg

• Like 1

Well the on call boys swung into action and found a lose pipe from the lift pump and changed the fine filter seals. 
Then cracked the injection nuts and she started like they all do at full throttle. 
Did not like the alternator tension so that got done. 
Noticed oil leak from filter so that got a new gasket. 
Then around to swan quay for an engine bay clean. 
Im well happy so here’s to starting in the morning 

• Like 8

Hi To test if the right pump is fitted undo the two retaining nuts or loosen the retaining bolts then turn engine over by hand until pump is push out it is now on top of cam lobe, then rock the pump body back and forth if fuel is pumped all ok if not arm is worn or wrong arm. John 

• Like 1