Storage Fuel Tanks

Andrewcook

10 hours ago, annv said:

all above ground tanks have a drain off below ground have a suction pipe to a collector. all boats should have one to. John

Unfortunately BSS require any tank drain to be fitted with a cap or plug which can only be removed by use of tools. This would tend to make any water drain checks a very messy business!|

2.8 Fuel tank connections
Is the fuel tank drain fitted with a plug or cap which can only be removed with tools?          R

Check each fuel tank for the presence of a fuel drain facility.

If present, check the drain outlet for the presence of                                                                                                                a plug, cap or blank.
If present, the outlets from fuel tank drains
and drain valves must be terminated with a
‘tools‐to‐remove’ plug, cap or blank.

NOTE – the provision of a fuel tank drain facility is not a requirement.
NOTE ‐ The plug, cap or blank must be of proprietary manufacture and/or metallic and it must be fixed in place by a screw mechanism which requires a tool to remove it.

The drain valve cap is userly screwed on outlet side of tap, is not messy as it is only has a rubber seal on in side of cap, when removed just turn tap holding a contained to catch the water/diesel, i fined a coffee jar just right with screw top to stop spileges. John

A drain valve also doubles up as a temprary sight gauge if fuel gauges are duff, mine have a length of clear pipe attached for this job with a scale marked on the tank beside, when I replaced my tanks I refilled from 20 litre jerry cans marking every 20 litres so I can check exactly how much I can put in, valves are only open when checking.