Ship to Ship Oil Transfers off Southwold

News has been released today that the Minister of Transport and the Environmental Agency have given the full go-ahead of the Southwold STS transfer area. Southwold will become the only place in the UK waters that will be used for this practice as the other existing areas are restricted. OK so the environmental lobby will be on high horses about the justifiable risk to the Suffolk Heritage coast - previous incidents within the Orkney zone bear testament to that, but as far as the boating sector is concerned, the risk to navigation is huge as we are looking at vessels operating VERY close to the coast with gross tonnages ranging from 15,000 to 300,000 GT - most of which operate at service speeds between 17 and 28 knots!

I know we have had this same conversation before, but then it was backed by the speculation that this would become legislation - today it has!!!

Yes, as the news item said this evening, STS transfers have been takin g place for sometime in this area, however, because of area sensitivities elsewhere like the firth and other areas, this will be the ONLY area where these activities can take place in the near future. This will protect wildlife in other areas and Southwold has been chosen on account of it's sheltered waters and proximity to the main oil terminals around the Thames Estuary. The news item went on to say that this would cause a major increase in these activities within a very short space of time and this is what the protesting has mainly been about

On the other hand if they are carrying diesel I would be more than happy to to take 800 litres off their hands!!

On the other hand if they are carrying diesel I would be more than happy to to take 800 litres off their hands!!

Are you are planning on using RAS (Refueling At Sea) to stop having to arrange supplies of Petrol for some of the boats on the Summer cruise?

If so I suggest that you might get Rod along, at least to drive the tanker! :naughty:

More details are here;

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/ship_to_shi ... t_1_914973

Recreated below;

Ship to ship transfers to continue off Southwold and Lowestoft coast

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

12:43 PM

Oil companies have been given the go-ahead to continue the practice of ship-to-ship oil transfers off the Suffolk coast.

Shipping minister Mike Penning today confirmed the controversial practice would stand despite a wave of protest from residents in Southwold.

They feared the sight of the tankers on the horizon would hit the tourism trade in the town while any spill could be devastating for the coast.

Under the new legislation, Sole Bay will be the only place in UK waters where ship-to-ship oil transfers can take place.

The previous Government had moved to outlaw the practice altogether, supported by former Suffolk Coastal MP John Gummer.

Consultation on the move to limit the transfers to Southwold, proposed by the new Government, had been extended to give local people their say.

In a written statement, Mr Penning told the House of Commons: “Having taken account of all the representations made, both in the main review and in the extension of the review in February and March, I have again come to the conclusion that this is the appropriate course of action and that the designated area for ship-to-ship transfers (other than in harbour authority waters) shall be the waters off the Suffolk coast where ship-to-ship transfers are already carried out.

“The recognition of these waters off the Suffolk coast as a suitable area for carrying out ship-to-ship transfers is based on the Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s and the industry’s actual experience of the successful use of these waters for ship-to-ship transfer operations over a number of years without pollution of the seas and coasts.

“The MCA will continue to monitor such operations closely to ensure they are carried out to the highest possible safety standards.â€

Hi Rod

Yep, As you point out, I certainly don't expect to see tankers flat out whilst an STS is taking place - the figures were picked off the news reports and not one mention was made of the risk to navigation, only the comments about risk to the environment!!! As I said, If they want to pop some fuel in my tanks I'll be more than happy!

As I said, If they want to pop some fuel in my tanks I'll be more than happy!

Now, Now, No "Crude" jokes ..... :naughty:

I just can't work out why our coastline is deemed to be less environmentally important than other areas? Still I suppose these chinanigins have to take place somewhere, don't they?

Obviously the Suffolk Heritage Coastline has been deemed as less important than others!!! Personally I would have moved it the coast and ensured that it took place between Scroby and Gorleston Just in case the oild did end up on the beach! lol :naughty:

Wow, Gav!

I just hope the citizens of Gt Yarmouth don't read this thread! :naughty::naughty::naughty: