OMG!

Hockham Admiral

It finally happened................

Leaving Norwich this morning we saw the Thorpe Railway Bridge at 8+ft............ :clap:clap:clap

I'd already intended to take us down the old river to show Mary-Jane some potential moorings............ (never plan ahead?)...... and so I turned under the bridge....

The bottom was quite clear but suddenly the engine revs reduced coupled with that awful vibration..............

"OMG, something's round the prop", I calmly said... (remembering that we'd taken out not only the breakdown service but also the diver option, with Boulters last week! :):):)

"I think we can make the moorings", I told Mary-Jane, throttling back to idle; this reduced the vibration but stopped the forward progress.. so what to do?

Probably NOT in the manual of "things to do" but I put her into reverse and gave a quick burst of power... initially sluggish but then, quite quickly, free. Mary-Jane had walked to to the transom and called that a white plastic bag had surfaced astern and was away from us...

"Half speed ahead and all's well" were our happy sentiments..........

That called for a glass of celebration wine (at 11.00)

Now at the ferry House (hic) and mightily relieved! cheersice slice

It finally happened................

Leaving Norwich this morning we saw the Thorpe Railway Bridge at 8+ft............ :clap:clap:clap

I'd already intended to take us down the old river to show Mary-Jane some potential moorings............ (never plan ahead?)...... and so I turned under the bridge....

The bottom was quite clear but suddenly the engine revs reduced coupled with that awful vibration..............

"OMG, something's round the prop", I calmly said... (remembering that we'd taken out not only the breakdown service but also the diver option, with Boulters last week! :):):)

"I think we can make the moorings", I told Mary-Jane, throttling back to idle; this reduced the vibration but stopped the forward progress.. so what to do?

:wave hi john i know how you felt, we had it happen to us a few years ago, i felt vibration in the steering wheel just before we got down to the end of loddon, went out onto main river & tried to shake whatever it was off, but prop just jammed & started to panic abit as we were struggling in middle of river, foned boat yard up & they told us to try & make back to loddon, we nervously managed to crawl very very slowly back to loddon to wait for a diver, he came & dived in & came back up with a long piece of carpet, great NOT, it was almost as if someone had thrown it in on purpose, not sure what we'd do now if it happened as the yards can't take any money off you for that unless they are brokers apparently, :roll: glad you got yours fixed. lori

Probably NOT in the manual of "things to do" but I put her into reverse and gave a quick burst of power... initially sluggish but then, quite quickly, free. Mary-Jane had walked to to the transom and called that a white plastic bag had surfaced astern and was away from us...

"Half speed ahead and all's well" were our happy sentiments..........

That called for a glass of celebration wine (at 11.00)

Now at the ferry House (hic) and mightily relieved! cheersice slice

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, i remember reading your post Col about the fishing net ?. That got me thinking whether it`s possible, or feasable for the forum members to group together and negotiate an agreement with John from Maffett cruisers to do call outs, such as a hire yard would do?. I think it works out that a yard pays a fixed fee "retainer", and he comes out as many times as need be, maybe up to a maximum no of dives?. Is it worth looking into?. Regards to all .................. Neil.

Neil, Hi

That's why I wasn't too bothered... we'd signed up with Boulters for exactly that...

As I said:

"OMG, something's round the prop", I calmly said... (remembering that we'd taken out not only the breakdown service but also the diver option, with Boulters last week! :) :) :)

:wave hi all it actually worries me that we no longer pay boatyard for propellor damage, one boatyard told us that if it's us that breaks it ,then we'd have to pay to get it fixed, that sounds reasonable but what if it's not our fault & we can't prove it, my dad had a propellor break on him when we went down the trent, ( on his boat of course lol ) because someone went past us at full pelt when the tide was out & we hit the bottom of the river & managed to crawl back to torksey lock, one of the blades had snapped off completely, so how could we prove it was'nt our fault say ,if someone did the same to us on breydon, how do you define the rules when it's a hire boat ? am just curious to know. has anybody had that happen to them. :Stinky:Stinky lori

:wave hi all it actually worries me that we no longer pay boatyard for propellor damage, one boatyard told us that if it's us that breaks it ,then we'd have to pay to get it fixed, that sounds reasonable lori

What?? If the propeller breaks due to hitting something then that's just a fact of life. I just don't see how you can be blamed, Lori, let alone charged....... :o:o:o

It sounds anything but reasonable.....